MCD - Let's talk... (3 Viewers)

Originally posted by the pope
music is shit.
therefore paying for music is paying for shit.

why would you pay for shit?

mcd rock!

You have to pay for a shit in Stephen Green Shopping Centre.
Thankfully it's only 13cent, but maybe MCD will takeover this too and start charging 13.50 plus a handling charge.

Originally posted by DontMugYourself
While I fully take your points Pete (which are true)

A good start. All posts need to start this way.

Increased competition in the promotion business does not lead to lower ticket prices for the following reason...

Agreed. But conversely, no competition means that the business in question can pretty much charge whatever the fuck they want.

In any case, we're talking about "competition" here when i think what we really mean is "not a monopoly", & how companies in this position can abuse it.

Fuckit. Who cares anyway.

ps fuck ryanair

Originally posted by pete

Fuckit. Who cares anyway.

Good call...agreed

Sorry all, I dont know what came over me I was being all serious there for a while...anyone for a pint??

Hey Fin, since your with MCD now any chance of the Rolling Stones support slot??

ok so, thought not

apart from the ambassador do MCD own any other city centre venues?

and, just to summarize...

they're cunts because:

* they charge too much.
* they run loss leader gigs which would normally be put on by a smaller promoter at a cheaper price just to keep the smaller promoter down (eg giddy motors).
* possibly (unsubstantiated) shady gazumping of venues from lesser mortals at short to no notice.
* once you are part of "the family" it's hard to leave?

Monopolies and duopolopies are bad for the businesses who carry them out, for the consumer and for everyone else. It leads to sloppy and lazy practices, overpriced goods and a poor quality of service.

A three-day ticket to Sonár cost €93. Witnness is over twice that. There are several more acts in Sonár than at Witnness. Sonár is held in a city that is as expensive and is, in fact, twinned with Dublin. Witnness is held in an inaccessible field miles outside of the city. Sonár has an international reputation that attracts thousands of people to Barcelona. Witnness doesn't. Sonár is an example of a city with a healthy attitude to the business of music. Witnness is example of a city music scene that's gone arseways.

MCD should concentrate on putting on decent, affordable gigs in the Olympia and the Ambassador and wherever else they own. And they should let other promoters develop in their own niches so that the venues are filled, the punters are happy and the promoters and the bands can get a bit of cash at the end of the night.

My right hand has two fingers up at the situation and my left hand has two fingers up at the situation. And neither are going near my wallet.

Re: MCD/Kid606

Originally posted by HarpoonFace
Does anyone know what happened with the MCD / Kid606 incident ??

Posted by Paul Watts (one of the Neuromantek guys) on the ie-dance mailing list on Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:02 am:

"Neuromantek and Frontend Synthetics had agreed with the Kid's agent on the details of a gig (time, place, payment, etc.) via phone calls and e-mails.

I have to stress that nothing was ever put in writing, so in reality, we never really had him 'booked' in a legal sense.
It was in calling his agent after several days of not hearing
anything further from her that we were told that she'd decided to
go with MCD."

-Thayl

I trust you`ll all be going to the Shalabi Effect/Estel(thur.) gig and the Severed Head Of State/Dagda(fri.) gig then???Or is it Beck/Black Dice/Yo la Tengo instead?

Yee bunch a scousers...:)

cabbages..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back