MCD denies admission to child with warts (1 Viewer)

clive

http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=194625

Now, MCD school denies admission to child with warts
Shilpa Venkataraman
New Delhi, July 28: After the HIV-positive tag, now warts have become grounds for denial of admissions to children. Recently, 6-year-old girl Anju, was refused admission to MCD Primary School, Gautampuri (No 1) because she had warts on her hands and legs. Her mother Mahaviri says the teacher in-charge told her that she can be admitted only after the warts have been treated.

Anju is the sixth of seven children of Mahaviri and Govardhan. The parents, residents of Molar Bund, a resettlement colony in Gautampuri near Badarpur, are unlettered.

When Newsline contacted the teacher Tilak Chand, he said: ‘‘I was concerned she might pass on the infection to other children. Besides, other children’s parents would have objected to it,’’ he said.

Asked if he refused to admit the child, he said, ‘‘I sent the duo to the principal’s office. I don’t know what happened after that.’’

Principal K K Verma, said: ‘‘I might have asked them to come back after treatment. Many children join school and fall sick after two or three days, so I asked them to get the child treated first.’’

But doctors say warts are not contagious. ‘‘It is a very common infection and the treatment is simple. It is not contagious. In fact, statistics show about 4 per cent of all schoolchildren in Delhi have warts,’’ said Dr Ahmed Zaheer, senior consultant, Dermatology, Apollo Hospital.

Though Dr Zaheer confirmed Anju had warts he said it is very unlikely that she can pass it on to her classmates.

Director, Primary Education, MCD, Indra Yadav, said: ‘‘What happened was wrong. We have sent several circulars to all our schools asking them to admit those who come for admission even if they have major health problems. Admissions should first be done and then we can provide treatment for the children,’’ she said, adding that she will give directions to the school in Gautampuri to admit Anju immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back