Marriage stuffs (1 Viewer)

Cara

If one person hasn't been baptised, but the other has, can a priest still perform the wedding? If it can, does it have to be in a church, or can you have a priest-performing-wedding in a non church place (like a garden type thing)? If not, can the marriage still be blessed by a priest? If it can, what does that involve? How do you go about asking a priest to marry you to someone? And if the priest wont marry you because one member of the union is a fithy heathen, who does one ask to do it? Will the non priest do a wedding in a garden type setting?

I think that's it.

http://gizmodo.com/389413/r2+d2-cake-brings-balance-to-the-force-dorkiness-to-wedding

medium_2486450322_07466fb0f9_o.jpg

medium_2486449942_d9008e4998_o.jpg

If one person hasn't been baptised, but the other has, can a priest still perform the wedding? If it can, does it have to be in a church, or can you have a priest-performing-wedding in a non church place (like a garden type thing)? If not, can the marriage still be blessed by a priest? If it can, what does that involve? How do you go about asking a priest to marry you to someone? And if the priest wont marry you because one member of the union is a fithy heathen, who does one ask to do it? Will the non priest do a wedding in a garden type setting?

I think that's it.

As of last November, you can have a wedding done pretty much anywhere, as long as the setting is appropriately 'solemn' and there's no food or drink (except communion, duh) served during the ceremony. I think it has to be approved by the registrar of marriages, but there's a process you go through to get that done. Given that when the new regulations were brought in, the staff didn't even get a briefing on how it was going to work and were really frustrated, my guess is that there is something of a backlog in this department, so plan well ahead.

Whether a priest will do it is up the priest and the church, but you can have a non-priest perform a service somewhere outside a church.

I don't know much about the baptised/non-baptised thing because I'm a filthy protestant whore. Even then, I think I only just about made it under the wire for the church service because my da is a man of the (touching) cloth.

But we just got a numer for the church we wanted from the registrar when we filed our declaration of intent, and then I rang the dude and asked if we could get married in his church, and then we did. I don't know to what extent this differs in the Catholic church, how much preferential treatment I might have got because of me da, and how much was down to the soundness of the dude who married us. He was pretty awesome. A bit bonkers, but awesome.

I think that's it.

for the churchy stuff you have to both fill out forms answering questions about your beliefs. A friend of mine did this and when he got to the question, 'Do you believe in God?', he answered 'No'. He'd have been better off lying to save the hassle because he ended up having to get some special letter of permission from the vatican or the bishop or someone, which cost time and money.

so it can be done. Not sure about the garden thing though. I doubt thats a runner.

But you're 22. Don't be getting marred (sic) for another 15 years or that.

If you want to get married in a church do you not have to be practicing in that church, prove you are in practicing another parish or are they that desperate to get arses on seats?

i don't understand why any non religious person would want to get married in a church or is getting married in a church like going to mass at christmas, it's just one of them things we were brought up to do?

If you want to get married in a church do you not have to be practicing in that church, prove you are in practicing another parish or are they that desperate to get arses on seats?

i don't understand why any non religious person would want to get married in a church or is getting married in a church like going to mass at christmas, it's just one of them things we were brought up to do?

no, and yes.

Most people marrying age don't go to mass. I think the church are keen to have catholic people having catholic weddings as one of the things you have to agree to is to bring up your kids as catholic. Like, if theres no hope for the parents then maybe theres some for the kids.

As for the second bit, its for the parents. Most people will have a traditional church wedding so that their folks won't look bad amongst their siblings.

hypocritical as hell, but shur...

Most people marrying age don't go to mass. I think the church are keen to have catholic people having catholic weddings as one of the things you have to agree to is to bring up your kids as catholic. Like, if theres no hope for the parents then maybe theres some for the kids.
Yeah but there's a difference between non practicing and not baptised at all in this context.

As for the second bit, its for the parents. Most people will have a traditional church wedding so that their folks won't look bad amongst their siblings.

hypocritical as hell, but shur...

i don't understand that. it's not the parents day and any parent that tries to force church wedding on there child on one of the most important days of their life because of what the neghbours/siblings will think needs a kick up the hole IMHO

i don't understand that. it's not the parents day and any parent that tries to force church wedding on there child on one of the most important days of their life because of what the neghbours/siblings will think needs a kick up the hole IMHO

Often times they're paying for the whole shebang, so telling them and any opinions they might have to go fuck themselves might seem somewhat ungrateful and out of tune with the message of love you might want to be sending out on the day.

I'm pretty sure you can still get dispensation for this though. Not 100%, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't.

I'm not 100% on that but I doubt it. What I'd imagine is that if you were baptised in another christian faith then thay could come to some arrangement, but I don't see them giving a scrcrament to someone who hasnt been baptised at all.

I'm not 100% on that but I doubt it. What I'd imagine is that if you were baptised in another christian faith then thay could come to some arrangement, but I don't see them giving a scrcrament to someone who hasnt been baptised at all.

The first piece of documentation they want before anything is your baptismal cert.
The church doesn't marry those that haven't sought salvation through God. They're dicks like that.

Often times they're paying for the whole shebang, so telling them and any opinions they might have to go fuck themselves might seem somewhat ungrateful and out of tune with the message of love you might want to be sending out on the day.

this should only apply if you're getting married in the 1950's.

Totally agreed. I couldn't believe how hard we had to fight to get people to remember that it wasn't the neighbours' day, or the distant cousins' day, or the relations-no-one-speaks-to-for-some-reason-or-others' day. I think a lot of people just give in to what their families want so that they'll stop being psychopaths. I still don't feel very comfortable around them after the way they behaved and the names they called us.

We got married in a church partly because we didn't have a lot of time, and because I'm a bit obsessed with medieval churches. We wanted my dad involved, too, but it was completely our decision. If we'd wanted a secular wedding, that would have been fine. My dad would have been bummed out, I think, but he's done enough weddings in his career to know how destructive meddling can be. Or, well, my mother would have reminded him. Repeatedly and to exhaustion until he copped on.

If people give money with strings attached, the blame lies mostly with the person who gives money, feigning generosity as a way of asserting control, but also on the couple who accept it, knowing the strings are there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back