Major Complaints Thread (5 Viewers)

I use the BOI app. You’ll need to approve virtually every online payment. It doesn’t need you to do anything but f you’re tapping your card or using your pin in a shop.
The basics are:
•Click to make a payment.
•You’ll be directed to go to your app.
•Click in to app.
•It will already be on the “approve purchase” part.
•Enter your 6 numerical pin that you use for the app.
•then you’ll be asked to “swipe” to approve.
•You then go back to your online purchase and you can tick to confirm you’re done this via your app.
Cheers Reets - this is exactly the process I know. But is only occassionally I am asked to do this. Usually payments goes through immediately without app interfering.

my current situation is that the phone was nearly out of space and I was told it had viruses. the computer repairshop reinstalled a lot of the software on the phone but I had to download WhatsApp, Zoom, banking app etc. myself. I told the BoI call centre guy about this. So just as when I got the 365 app first I didn't get an activation code and had to call them today.

I really only need the card for online stuff but for that they insisted on getting this silly app.
EDIT: fixed two typos.

OK - was just able to buy a demo download off bandcamp by PayPal and donate by credit card to a GoFundMe to benefit a Gazan family who were bombed last week.
BoI app didn't intervene so I am OK for the moment.

UPDATE on above:
Have used my card (it's just a debit card actually) normally despite the app. on phone not being activated
i.e. haven't been asked to approve any online transactions.
The only problem I can forsee is something like Discogs were you commit to buying something first and then use Paypal. Anyway staying away from Discogs for a while wouldn't be a bad idea for me.
Happy Days basically.

More debit card updates:
Tried to donate a meager €15 to charity and Visa insisted that I had to approve it through the BoI app.

I spent over a hundred Euros on records two days ago and app didn't intervene. But without fail they ask every time I donate to charity. The only helpful reason I can come up with is that it is possible to type 150 instead of 15 but even I never did that.

Was this the first time you'd donated to the charity and was it a repeat order from the record shop?
First time order to Munster Records in Spain. No problems.
Also first time donation to Irish charity.

I had problems with my phone a few weeks ago. App had to be reinstalled. I phoned call centre and during call the guy said he was not getting my request for activation code. App still not activated.
The guy should just have given me code over the phone. Like they did in 2022.

This crap is supposed to make life easier but if it fails, it fails. No plan B.

I’ve heard of one case of a charity donation page being hammered with thousands of fraudulent small transactions. No minimum transaction and no goods to be shipped makes it a good way to validate stolen cards.

The verification step means it's harder to do a chargeback, which makes the transaction less risky, which might mean that the charity has to give less of a cut to visa

Read a thing recently that American sites almost never do the check because their American customer base is so unused to having to do it if confronted by it they go "fuck this" and don't complete the order in such large numbers that it works out more profitable to not do the check and eat the chargeback in the event of fraud over losing the volume of sales.

Obviously there has to be a purchase size whereby that stops being worth their while.

Read a thing recently that American sites almost never do the check because their American customer base is so unused to having to do it if confronted by it they go "fuck this" and don't complete the order in such large numbers that it works out more profitable to not do the check and eat the chargeback in the event of fraud over losing the volume of sales.

Obviously there has to be a purchase size whereby that stops being worth their while.

Yes, I think this is more an Irish thing than a Visa thing
We put up with a lot with Irish banks

I don't know any other country that has those code card things AIB uses for 2FA
Like it's from the 80s
It's fucking hilarious the hoops the Irish banks make you jump through to spend your own money

"Should we improve our security or have the plebs do all the legwork?"
Unanimous vote for pleb outsourcing at irish banks

I don't know any other country that has those code card things AIB uses for 2FA
Like it's from the 80s
It's fucking hilarious the hoops the Irish banks make you jump through to spend your own money

In addition to all my other jobs I do the payroll here and one payday I turned my one of those on and I got a "low battery" message on it.

"Right, well I have replacement batteries I'll just swap it out before I start."

Turns out that if you remove the battery from the device it wipes the memory on the device and makes it unusable.

Fortunately there's 2 of us who have access to the company's bank accounts so I was able to get their one and log in as them to do the payroll. But if I didn't ... EEP.

Staff or contractor, I never fuck with people's money, I'd have hated myself if I'd paid them late.

... and it's not "very rarely otherwise". I have to do the verification thing very regularly, perhaps I buy a wider variety of things online than you do?
As I said egg, apart from charities it doesn't happen vast majority of the time. Sounds like it is the seller that dictates this according to you.

I buy lots of records online, some books, some clothes, music / stereo related stuff, gig tickets, donations and reserve bus tickets and not much else. Very rarely spend 200+ in one transaction.
Mostly people I deal with are from outside Ireland but within Europe. Mostly from small sellers. No Amazon or any like that.

Staff or contractor, I never fuck with people's money, I'd have hated myself if I'd paid them late.

Damn straight
Never get in the way of someone and their money if you can help it
And people never forget this stuff. You'd be hearing about it forever.

Never knew that about the battery. What a joke.

In addition to all my other jobs I do the payroll here and one payday I turned my one of those on and I got a "low battery" message on it.

"Right, well I have replacement batteries I'll just swap it out before I start."

Turns out that if you remove the battery from the device it wipes the memory on the device and makes it unusable.

Fortunately there's 2 of us who have access to the company's bank accounts so I was able to get their one and log in as them to do the payroll. But if I didn't ... EEP.

A certain head of finance will be shown this thread as an additional attachment to my latest invoice, and the other invoices.

BOI is notoriously bad with internet stuff. Eg. It took BOI multiple YEARS to set up the school I was involved with on Internet banking. Insisting on bank visits, two signatures, request paper statements etc
"how much have we got in the bank?"
"we won't known until we get the next statement at the end of the month"
and this wasn't that long ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back