Magazine appreciation thread. (1 Viewer)

evil bandit

Website
Visit site
I've just started listening to the majestry of Magazine for the first time in years after James Manic name said their sound really influenced the sound on The Holy Bible.

They're fucking amazing and really show how average all these new new wave post punk pre cum bands like bloc party, Franz and others are.

Howard Devoto is a man legend and shot by both sides is one of my favourite debut singles ever.

Any others fan here??

evil bandit said:
James Manic

22906202.jpg

any mp3 links?ministry did a cool cover of "the light pours out of me" in the tbmc a few years back,which was lethal.

Try and listen to the Spiral Scratch album that he released as part of his previous band The Buzzcocks, it's IMO their best stuff.
And yes Howard was a genius.

Yeah, 3 very solid albums (Secondhand Daylight being my favourite)... Devoto's sneering\arrogant thing gets on my nerves after a while but I like the musical side of it a lot.

Mansun covered shot from both sides, did a duet with Howard Devoto and Devoto wrote the lyrics to their song Everyone Must Win. They were big fans methinks

yea- been listening to magazine a lot lately - i'd actually say they are one of the greatest bands ever. I love "Real life" and "correct use of soap". Fav track is "because your frightened" - lyrics are amazing.....

"your fear is my finest hour...but my fear is your disguise"

such a crime that howard devoto is a fucking photographers assistant these days.......makes me ill.

Fantastic band. They began to sag a bit as time went on, but the early stuff still holds up, and "The Light Pours out of Me" and "Definitive Gaze" are two of the best songs ever.

I only have a couple of post-Magazine Devoto-related albums: Luxuria's Beast Box and Shelleydevoto's Buzzkunst. The former is pretty bad, the latter not too awful but not brilliant. Has he done anything else since Magazine that's worth checking out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back