lisbon (1 Viewer)

JohnnyRaz

where the crow ate the man
Supporter
anyone ever been? considering going with the missus, so availability wild parties and substances to abuse not really an issue. More a wandery eaty drinky looky kinda trip. any opinions?

I was there with the other half 1.5 years ago. It's great. We had a really good time, pub crawl through the Barrio Alto drinking Caprinhas is a must.

I was there with the other half 1.5 years ago. It's great. We had a really good time, pub crawl through the Barrio Alto drinking Caprinhas is a must.

Went late 90's but found people pretty unfriendly and in cafes/ bars etc pretty untrustworthy with lots of hidden charges. Or a huge menu on the wall with small print that it only applies if you eat inside standing up. When you sit down outside it turns out the price was about 5 or 6 times that written in big letters.

We also kept getting abuse for "speaking spanish" even when blatantly reading stuff out of a portuguese phrase book.

And in one famous cafe the waiter shoved the table spilling 2 full cups of coffee all over us. He didn't apologise, offer a towel or replace it AND expected us to pay for it.

Maybe me and the missus bring out the worst in the Portuguese but needless to say we didn't go back

Apart from all that I thought it was a great city, really attractive.

I'm off to Lisbon and Porto next week for a couple a days, you think its safe to bring a tent and sleep on the beach or should I splash out for a hostel?

gobsegway.jpg

Portugal? Gonna live it up down ol' South America way, eh Mikey?

Did you go?

I have to go there this weekend.
Any good bars/restaurants?

loads of good places to eat, even in the more 'touristy places'. theres a crazy bar called the chinese pavillion as well, expensive, poncy but worth having a look all the same. Its not a boozy sort of city, buts theres plenty of cafe efforts arround. To be honest, didnt get to have any absolutely crazy nights out, largely due to the extremely hilly nature of the place; walking up hills all day + nice grub + a few beers= in bed by 11. Nicest local beer(imho) is called sagres

loads of good places to eat, even in the more 'touristy places'. theres a crazy bar called the chinese pavillion as well, expensive, poncy but worth having a look all the same. Its not a boozy sort of city, buts theres plenty of cafe efforts arround. To be honest, didnt get to have any absolutely crazy nights out, largely due to the extremely hilly nature of the place; walking up hills all day + nice grub + a few beers= in bed by 11. Nicest local beer(imho) is called sagres

Thanks

No football on there this weekend for some unexplained reason.

Bugger.

Yeah, the Sagres is nice.
Cheap too. About €1.40-1.60 a bottle in most places.

Bars in general were hard to come by.
I found a bunch together down near the waterfront but they turned out to be full of hookers on the make. Who needs the fucking hassle like?
Old too, got approached by a pair that were definitely in their 60s. The last place I went had a midget too.
Weird.
I don't know how official it is but bars with Scandanavian names (Oslo, Viking, Copenhagen etc) seem to be red light.

Plenty of good restaurants which were also cheap.
The one that sticks out was this place that has only one dish
http://www.brasserieentrecote.pt/uk/index_uk.html
Fecking deadly it was too.

Oh, and a bar I would recommend to anyone is Pavilhao Chines. Like an ornate junk shop.

anything else!?

anything music wise worth checking out? music shops? i know some good shit goes on there, but how do i find out about it?

i want to go to the aquarium too

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back