Let's own the music scene (2 Viewers)

Divil A Bit said:
Cheers Unclealo. Do you own the Lower Deck? Shurley they charge you something no? If not, well done.
I'm talking about a venue on the fringe of town. Would you go if for instance, Jape were playing??...(I can't reveal it's name of the venue as the deal has yet to be finalised)...bands take home 50% of the door and will have zero costs always. Door prices will be kept below or at ten euro.

are u john zorn?

http://www.ireland.com/theticket/articles/2005/0401/44267631TKDISCONEW_A.html

hermie said:
definately!i think a lack of affordable/reliable but still good venues is a major fucking problem. Toner's i think is free to book though.although they did give out that it was 'a bit loud' the last time we played there

yup toners is free to book - I had to give them a 60 euro deposit though -but i got it back at the end of the night
not the easiest place to book a gig though - they turned me down at first- I don't think they want to have a reputation as being a venue for gigs

Divil A Bit said:
Forgive me if this is long. It's my first ever post and I've a lot to say.
Having recently returned to the live gig scene in Dublin after 7 years, I'm astounded as to how things have changed for the worse.

I have an 'in' for a licensed venue in Dublin which could run as a co-op which is given to the bands/artists for free. In turn, bands can have a say in how it is run.

Hold on. Can we not pull together to produce, say, an 'honest' 4 page free sheet, which is dedicated purely to Irish bands?
Sorry if it's a rant but isn't that the point of this.
Welcome to thumped!!! The venue you talk about I'm sure is of great interest to people who have been talking about trying to set up their own space (mainly through the eirecore part of this forum..) Put the above on eirecore and you'll get some response. There's plenty of people doing stuff, they'd love to hear more about the venue.
As for a free sheet, there's something else for you to do......

hermie said:
no disrespect to either of these venues/promoters but to a certain extent they do limit themselves to music at the mellower end of the spectrum.
good one with hot piss, huh-huh

what are you talking about? lazybird is the only place in dublin where good shit is on regularly
and by good shit i mean 'out shit'

andrew

are somadrone and karl him 'out shit'? i'm probably wrong, but i've been to a couple of lazybird gigs and they've all been pretty mellow.maybe i haven't been to enough of them.

MONDOBRUTALE said:
stuff that isn't at the 'mellower end of the spectrum'

andrew

hermie said:
are somadrone and karl him 'out shit'? i'm probably wrong, but i've been to a couple of lazybird gigs and they've all been pretty mellow.maybe i haven't been to enough of them.

of course they are - i mean neither of them are yet average ballroom of romance indie/postrock band. lazybird is a different beast from one week to the next. and just cuz somethin isn't loud, doesn't mean that it lies on the wimpscale.

Hot piss...heh,heh. Still making me laugh. I might produce a music based freesheet (distro by hand in the same places you see The Event Guide). It will highlight the need for an affordable venue AND if anyone wants to say anything at all about being ina band then I'll cut and paste it. What about a name for it???

Please post thoughts...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back