Let's own the music scene (2 Viewers)

Divil A Bit

Forgive me if this is long. It's my first ever post and I've a lot to say.
Having recently returned to the live gig scene in Dublin after 7 years, I'm astounded as to how things have changed for the worse.

It is now normal for bands to pay 250 euro - 350 euro for the privelige of hiring a venue for the night. Let's expose this as the scam it is. Other pubs without live music are making plenty money, so one that has live is using the band's talent (and charging them) to make even more money.

Let's get rid of the 'pay to play' scam and expose it. I'm sure that all venues do very nicely thank you without your 250 euro on top. (And don't mind the 'we gotta cover the soundman's costs' bullshit). Do they also talk about the doorman, the barman, the manager, the cleaner etc. NO.

I have an 'in' for a licensed venue in Dublin which could run as a co-op which is given to the bands/artists for free. In turn, bands can have a say in how it is run.

Secondly..Bands I'm dissapointed in us. We've all fallen for the 'publicist' crapola. OK, you want to release your record which you just finished mastering. But, without a label (which wasn't the case ten years ago) you have to do all the marketing yourself. But as you have found out (like myself) or are about to find out....you need a publicist who is in the daily pocket of Journos/DJ's to get airplay on radio, press reviews, gig mentioned, tour, in fact,...for two grand if you ain't got one, it's kinda pointless.
I have been disappointed to discover the amount of supposedly right on DIY bands who are pretending it's down to the music. You are fooling only yourself in the end.

We are all vying for the same wee bit of space and it's got too crowded.

Hold on. Can we not pull together to produce, say, an 'honest' 4 page free sheet, which is dedicated purely to Irish bands? Let's have it out in the open. In the 90's HOPE produced a freesheet called 'React' which gave my band the confidence in ourselves to go further.
But I am guilty of running to Hot Press with my little press release hoping in vain to get even the smallest mention...without a publicist, what a loser I feel. Hot Press is dying. It now gives away free copies in Trinners so that it can retain its circulation for potential advertisers. It is a dinosaur which should be put to sleep. BUT it paves the way for a replacement run by tuned in folk, unswayed by bribes and PR.

Finally, fair play to the person associated with the Jove Olympia bash. I don't know the person(s) but I would certainly be interested in their opinion. Do you guys realise we are living under a dictator monopoly which is ruining our music experience in our lives? This does NOT exist in any town in the UK or Europe. If fact , I played gigs in squats in Europe and UK and you get treated first class, free food, free booze, free place to crash, great gigs and overall, a lovely memory. Can you imagine that here at present? Don't make me laugh. But things could be so easily different if WE wanted.

Big up to HOPE.

Sorry if it's a rant but isn't that the point of this.

There was a co-op/collective trying to do the things you're talking about for a couple of years, but it folded last year through lack of interest, motivation etc. Do a search for thingsyouremissing on this site for a brief history lesson.

owned.jpg

Music for the people. A lovely idea. But the people don't want music, they want bog roll in the toilets. Priorities.

great post, but do realise that not everyone operates in the cool venue/publicist scene.. there are still plenty of people operating along similar lines to HOPE.

welcome home dude!!

wait till you discover the couple of thousand other rip offs currently masquerading as 'the way it is' in ireland

country's gone potty

Divil A Bit said:
It is now normal for bands to pay 250 euro - 350 euro for the privelige of hiring a venue for the night. Let's expose this as the scam it is. Other pubs without live music are making plenty money, so one that has live music is using the band's talent (and charging them) to make even more money.

www.boomboomroom.tk
www.lazybird.org

Divil A Bit said:
Do you guys realise we are living under a dictator monopoly which is ruining our music experience in our lives?.

It's not ruining my experience, I get to see amazing gigs for 5-10 quid.
The only people who will go to these shows are the ones interested enough in music to look beyond Hot Piss and the Ticket. It's not hard to check out bands on the Web.
On the other hand it sucks that when we bring over acts who aren't "unlistenable" and they have no chance of getting played on the radio and barely break even. It's also lame that there are so few people outside of Dublin willing to take the initiative to put on gigs.

This person speaks sense (not to trivialise this but I also want to say 'HotPiss' is the best nickname I've heard in a long, long time). The AMC in Limerick have been doing what you say for 4/5 years now, anytime I've played through them I got treated really really well and even got paid a few quid despite the fact I probably shouldn't have been anywhere near a a stage.

desertedvillage said:
www.boomboomroom.tk
www.lazybird.org

It's not ruining my experience, I get to see amazing gigs for 5-10 quid.
The only people who will go to these shows are the ones interested enough in music to look beyond Hot Piss and the Ticket. It's not hard to check out bands on the Web.
On the other hand it sucks that when we bring over acts who aren't "unlistenable" and they have no chance of getting played on the radio and barely break even. It's also lame that there are so few people outside of Dublin willing to take the initiative to put on gigs.

maybe it's the fact one of your brutal bands is supporting them that stops people from going!???

all m'love,

andry

damien said:
great post, but do realise that not everyone operates in the cool venue/publicist scene.. there are still plenty of people operating along similar lines to HOPE.

Perfect...can you post some names/websites of these HOPE types? I see umack has a new site. Bought tickets for Mike Watt on the site, no bother hey.

Is anyone interested in a new free live venue. 150-200 Capacity???? If not I'll bugger off and write a song about it!

Unclealo said:
Cheers Unclealo. Do you own the Lower Deck? Shurley they charge you something no? If not, well done.
I'm talking about a venue on the fringe of town. Would you go if for instance, Jape were playing??...(I can't reveal it's name of the venue as the deal has yet to be finalised)...bands take home 50% of the door and will have zero costs always. Door prices will be kept below or at ten euro.

A friend of mine launched their LP in town and afterwards had to go out and empty their ATM account to make up the costs of the venue even tho it was a goodish crowd. Queue up the naysayers...one at a time!

definately!i think a lack of affordable/reliable but still good venues is a major fucking problem. Toner's i think is free to book though.although they did give out that it was 'a bit loud' the last time we played there

Divil A Bit said:
Is anyone interested in a new free live venue. 150-200 Capacity???? If not I'll bugger off and write a song about it!

Divil A Bit said:
Cheers Unclealo. Do you own the Lower Deck? Shurley they charge you something no? If not, well done.
I'm talking about a venue on the fringe of town.

Divil, the Lower Deck have started charging €80-120 as far as know. They give it to us for free because we've been arranging gigs with them for so long.

Most people would be well up for a new venue especially if there is a decent in house sound system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back