Let's have a debate about immigration (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter egg_
  • Start date
  • Replies 341
  • Views 29K
  • Watchers 15
Strange, I always imagined ( and I do so a lot) Daniel as the fuckee and not the fucker...but there you have it

Did I type proud? that was a spelling mistake I meant "ashamed"

stupid keyboard

Absolutely.

http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=898999&postcount=54

I mean, if you wanna look at the insanity, look at the number of people who'll go on about hating the English and yet be willing to throw themselves off a moving train for Man U or Chelsea or whatever. There's a sense of picking and choosing foreign influence, like ordering off a menu. We'll take African music and dance but we don't want to deal with actual Africans. Maybe we can lock 'em up or ghettoise them and summon them for command performances at multicultural festivals.

Anyway, it's funny because -- and maybe it's because of the circles I travel in -- most of the Irish speakers I know are very lefty and very much not of the mind that the culture is any more under threat by foreigners as it ever was before there was any large-scale immigration.

There will always be 'folk' cultures and traditions. There'll just be shiteloads of new things that will be the future traditions and customs. There are traditions in the US among descendant populations that have nothing to do with the country of origin, but they're just as much traditions. I think it's kind of cool. That said, some of those 'traditions' that once united an otherwise culturally-diverse group of shared national origin also involve being completely fucking racist. Which is, perhaps, not so cool.

Just discussing this with my mum, she says Ireland lots any culture it had a long time ago.

i found out a few things about foreigners this evening lads, watch out. i was at the bus stop in drumcondra and all the buses were going buy with "out of service" signs and there was this decent middle aged lad with his mrs and another fella and he reckoned it was down to the fact that all the drivers are foreign nationals now and that there was something up. all these drivers do a six week course on driving and get jobs as dublin bus drivers and dont give a shite about anything. polish men are all ugly (and are retarded judging by his impression of them) and irish women arent good enough for them, they never spend any money but send it all back home therefore are no use to the country (evidence: this guy never once saw a pole buy the evening herald), they wont integrate themselves into irish society either (none of them). africans are happy to accept our generous welcome but would boil you alive if you went to africa and as for this little muslim cunt he knew of - he said "i vant too tarn eeveree pub in too a mosque".

Just discussing this with my mum, she says Ireland lots any culture it had a long time ago.

But the nature of culture is change, so it's not so much 'lost', it's that it's changed. There's also a very real connection between what is perceived to be tradition but is actually a function of poverty. There may have been more unity among a greater percentage of IRish people 50 or 100 years ago, but that's because 50 years ago, it was poverty that was the common thread, and 100 years ago, it was TEH BRITS.

Not that it was all peace and love among Irish people, but that lots of people did a lot of the same exact things using the same exact stuff because there weren't as many options. And because people placed a higher value on these things that brought people together, or made them feel a sense of community.

I think whether Ireland has lost its culture depends how one defines 'culture'. There are cultural differences between Irish and non-Irish people, so if there weren't some sense of culture, there wouldn't be any differences. I know what you mean, though. I think it's the same among a lot of western cultures, the strange sense that something is missing in the modern world that was present in the past. 50 years ago people were probably saying the same thing about the loss of culture.

i found out a few things about foreigners this evening lads, watch out. i was at the bus stop in drumcondra and all the buses were going buy with "out of service" signs and there was this decent middle aged lad with his mrs and another fella and he reckoned it was down to the fact that all the drivers are foreign nationals now and that there was something up. all these drivers do a six week course on driving and get jobs as dublin bus drivers and dont give a shite about anything. polish men are all ugly (and are retarded judging by his impression of them) and irish women arent good enough for them, they never spend any money but send it all back home therefore are no use to the country (evidence: this guy never once saw a pole buy the evening herald), they wont integrate themselves into irish society either (none of them). africans are happy to accept our generous welcome but would boil you alive if you went to africa and as for this little muslim cunt he knew of - he said "i vant too tarn eeveree pub in too a mosque".

Wow! I wish I'd known all this earlier. I recommended one of my Polish neighbours for a job with a friend of mine and he got it and so far he has them all fooled and they made him permanent and all. Shit! This is all going to backfire on me, I'll have to change my name and flee to Romania or something... Damn!

Maybe us foreigns could make it easier for fellas like this if we got together and divided up the jobs. Like, if the Polish lads are the ones doing the bus driving, and thus are gonna get the blame for the shite service (because the service was totally awesome before EU expansion), then there's no point Africans driving buses when they could be better employed on street corners, boiling whitey alive in big mega-gallon drums.

What do yanks get to do? I don't wanna bomb anyone. But I don't wanna be just a slow-moving plain vanilla menace in tapered jeans and white Reeboks. I want a real special purpose. Not like Navan Johnson's special purpose, a real purpose. A meaning. A niche.

I'm not fucking chickens, though. Don't want people to think I'm from fecking Donegal.

Maybe us foreigns could make it easier for fellas like this if we got together and divided up the jobs. Like, if the Polish lads are the ones doing the bus driving, and thus are gonna get the blame for the shite service (because the service was totally awesome before EU expansion), then there's no point Africans driving buses when they could be better employed on street corners, boiling whitey alive in big mega-gallon drums.

What do yanks get to do? I don't wanna bomb anyone. But I don't wanna be just a slow-moving plain vanilla menace in tapered jeans and white Reeboks. I want a real special purpose. Not like Navan Johnson's special purpose, a real purpose. A meaning. A niche.

I'm not fucking chickens, though. Don't want people to think I'm from fecking Donegal.

yanks can emigrate back to the shtates and send the money home to irelnad

Are you taking the piss out of me?

Here's an example I thought of on the way home. Take an imaginary country, say Lilliput, where they don't have a well-developed banking system. Loads of Lilliputians come to Ireland and put their money in Irish banks, but they don't really trust the bank, and when there's rumours of trouble in the bank's finances they all withdraw their money at once, and the bank goes bang and everyone loses.

That's kinda what I'm getting at. I'm not saying Lilliputians are going to steal your money, but society depends on lots of behavioural conventions that are more than just people being nice to each other. The banking system, paying taxes, calling the cops instead of taking the law into your own hands, shit like that

I suspect I'm being too abstract with all this. I'm just trying to point out that a completely open-door policy might not be a good idea, but it seems no-one on here is arguing for a completely open-door policy anyway

In fairness you don't need immigrants for that to happen, remember Northern rock last week? Can we blame that on the immigrants?

Some Donegaloids moved into my neighbourhood a few weeks ago and now all the cats have gone mental and there isn't a chicken left unfucked.

FOR SHAME. DONEGALOIDS BACK TO DONEGOLIA.

Is that why I saw yer man Daniel O'Donnell riding a Rhode Island Red like a bucking bronco, spinning his hat and woo-hooing like nobody's business?

Proud, my rear end. That was pure fucking braggadoccio.

TIRCONNELLIANS BACK TO TIRCONNEL.

Careful now, the Donegal Mafia will be after you.

1269062717_l.png

Wow! I wish I'd known all this earlier. I recommended one of my Polish neighbours for a job with a friend of mine and he got it and so far he has them all fooled and they made him permanent and all. Shit! This is all going to backfire on me, I'll have to change my name and flee to Romania or something... Damn!

As someone posted on the Kevin Myers, Maybe a Racist thread:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Jesus Jane! :eek: etc. Americans should obviously take over radio.

Polish people have been eating swans in Limerick. I read an article about it.

Shit! And I recommended this guy as an accountant. I'm going straight to hell... he eats the Queen's Swans... em I mean... eh... shit... bye!

But the nature of culture is change, so it's not so much 'lost', it's that it's changed. There's also a very real connection between what is perceived to be tradition but is actually a function of poverty. There may have been more unity among a greater percentage of IRish people 50 or 100 years ago, but that's because 50 years ago, it was poverty that was the common thread, and 100 years ago, it was TEH BRITS.

Not that it was all peace and love among Irish people, but that lots of people did a lot of the same exact things using the same exact stuff because there weren't as many options. And because people placed a higher value on these things that brought people together, or made them feel a sense of community.

I think whether Ireland has lost its culture depends how one defines 'culture'. There are cultural differences between Irish and non-Irish people, so if there weren't some sense of culture, there wouldn't be any differences. I know what you mean, though. I think it's the same among a lot of western cultures, the strange sense that something is missing in the modern world that was present in the past. 50 years ago people were probably saying the same thing about the loss of culture.

I'm still referring the percieved traditional or "romantic" Irish culture(the Irish language, music and sports) rather than Irish culture as it actually exists. But even that is to quote Yeats is "dead and gone, It’s with O’Leary in the grave".

Personally I think its time to get over it or actually do something to preserve it. Blaming others is the easy answer but by no means right one.

I'm still referring the percieved traditional or "romantic" Irish culture(the Irish language, music and sports) rather than Irish culture as it actually exists. But even that is to quote Yeats is "dead and gone, It’s with O’Leary in the grave".

Personally I think its time to get over it or actually do something to preserve it. Blaming others is the easy answer but by no means right one.

i propose that for the thumped christmas party we have a ceili. we can say we did our bit then and blame it on others

i propose that for the thumped christmas party we have a ceili. we can say we did our bit then and blame it on others

HMD and I had planned to go to a ceilidh for our birthday, but it was cancelled.

Just thought I'd through that out there... oh, and I have millions of medals for Irish Dancing.

Aye get domhnach dubh to play and beal bocht too. They're both deadly although not sure if they're exactly ceili bands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back