Lesbians on Ecstasy + Queen Kong (1 Viewer)

Super Dexta said:
radius of what? i lived a good three miles from my nearest godforsaken hellhole. which in turn was sixty miles from the nearest city. which was cork. you're not allowed in cos you're from county dublin.

Oh wait, you actually lived in a hellhole/town? Well! Lucky for some!* How many pubs and shops within a how many mile radius? one shop and five pubs within a ten mile radius? Between your hellhole and the next nearest hellhole?

County dublin, ahh the joys of satellite city/the commuter belt. :p

*Cue monty pythonesque four yorkshireman style descent into how terrible and isolated their rural adolescence was! :D

I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

Shorty said:
Oh wait, you actually lived in a hellhole/town? Well! Lucky for some!* How many pubs and shops within a how many mile radius? one shop and five pubs within a ten mile radius? Between your hellhole and the next nearest hellhole?

County dublin, ahh the joys of satellite city/the commuter belt. :p

*Cue monty pythonesque four yorkshireman style descent into how terrible and isolated their rural adolescence was! :D

I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.
y'know, i might just revert to being super dexta just so's i'll have some rep power to rep you for that.

Shorty said:
"Do not ask me who I am and do not ask me to remain the same" - Foucault
"I bet nobody'll even read this.. blah blah blah discursive formations blah blah blah have they noticed yet that I'm making it up as I go along? I can't believe I get paid for this." - Foucault

Hott Indie Boy said:
"I bet nobody'll even read this.. blah blah blah discursive formations blah blah blah have they noticed yet that I'm making it up as I go along? I can't believe I get paid for this." - Foucault

jurgen?

your modernist pisstake of foucault is a pretty neat reduction of jurgen "reconstructed dialectics" habermas. you're liadain right? you can steal the signature if you like.

oh shit said:
your modernist pisstake of foucault is a pretty neat reduction of jurgen "reconstructed dialectics" habermas. you're liadain right? you can steal the signature if you like.
heh heh. habermas has mainly gone under the radar here so far. must have a look at him if that's true. useful for thesis 'n all. and yes, i am what liadain has become !ninjaaaa!ninjaaaa!ninjaaaa

he basically attacks post-structuralism for what he terms its "performative contradictions". i presume you're approaching the whole thing from a linguistic/literature point of view rather than ethico-political?
do you hate derrida too?

oh shit said:
he basically attacks post-structuralism for what he terms its "performative contradictions". i presume you're approaching the whole thing from a linguistic/literature point of view rather than ethico-political?
do you hate derrida too?
from a literary point of view yeah, but my background in linguistics and interest in lefty politics would definitely inform everything i write.
derrida also went under the radar for the most part. but i'm pretty sure that there's actually a hell of a lot outside the text.

i don't actually hate foucault, his stuff about the archaeology of knowledge totally struck a chord with me, it's just he's very bloody tough sometimes.

um, there isn't actually, when you consider what derrida gives as the "text". deconstruction in itself is a fairly sound concept, and it allows the reader to perceive the contradictions and "blind spots" within various metaphysical philosophies/texts.

the problem is that when you approach language (signs) as nothing more than a series of relations, you are forced to deny any material connection to a "real" signified thing with concrete properties. and so it's hard to establish any normative ground to stand on... essentially, the deconstructionist reader is always privileged, always one step above any attempt to make a concrete suggestion.
interestingly, it was michel foucault who made that particular criticism.

foucault got a lot easier after i read "what is enlightenment" (a sort of answer to modernist critics, in which he rejects "enlightenment blackmail" and argues for permanent critique of the present) and "the subject and power" (could only find an excerpt online which isn't great, but the whole piece is basically him breaking down his method from where he started, also a great passage on the "pastoral" power of the modern state).

oh shit said:
um, there isn't actually, when you consider what derrida gives as the "text". deconstruction in itself is a fairly sound concept, and it allows the reader to perceive the contradictions and "blind spots" within various metaphysical philosophies/texts.

the problem is that when you approach language (signs) as nothing more than a series of relations, you are forced to deny any material connection to a "real" signified thing with concrete properties. and so it's hard to establish any normative ground to stand on... essentially, the deconstructionist reader is always privileged, always one step above any attempt to make a concrete suggestion.
interestingly, it was michel foucault who made that particular criticism.

foucault got a lot easier after i read "what is enlightenment" (a sort of answer to modernist critics, in which he rejects "enlightenment blackmail" and argues for permanent critique of the present) and "the subject and power" (could only find an excerpt online which isn't great, but the whole piece is basically him breaking down his method from where he started, also a great passage on the "pastoral" power of the modern state).
i'll get back to you in six months

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back