Legend (1 Viewer)

Reasons enough surely. Ridley Scott though...:eek: sick.
1953.jpg

02bfa580.jpg

what the hell...
3fba05cc8357c.jpg

The script was pretty poor and the kids acting was really annoying. Bit like a Dublin Pure Mule. Ill watch it again though!

i love Legend! Wobbler you seem a bit apologetic about liking it!?
it's a deadly film!
I was refering to the TV show.

The script was pretty poor and the kids acting was really annoying. Bit like a Dublin Pure Mule. Ill watch it again though!

The kid was really annoying. Parts of the script were a bit dodgy but other scenes/dialogue made up for it.

watched it last night. was that the first episode? i thought it was really good. nice to see rte taking a chance on something for a change.

lengthy pieces of dialogue revolving around whether anyone has any
p3449226_l.jpg

when your missus has just popped her clogs is a unique way of looking at a wake.

woeful glenroe style amateur dialogue in parts.
when you have to engage an audience not only in the first 15mins before the ad break to stop them from channel hopping but also want to establish how 'gripping' the opening episode of the series should be to get people tuning in each week this was a terrible example of how they're not going to eat into any of bbc dramas ratings.

a shame really.
dont think 'the family' will be dethroned on this ocassion.

i caught a bit and laughed my fucking ass off at the bit where yer man is called into the living room to talk with the big boss. the young fella sits down and yer man goes "did i tell ye you could sit down" so the chap stands back up only to be told "ah sure have a seat" by the crime boss

typical rte shite. woeful acting and unintentionally funny dialogue.
might just watch it again though for those reasons.

i caught a bit and laughed my fucking ass off at the bit where yer man is called into the living room to talk with the big boss. the young fella sits down and yer man goes "did i tell ye you could sit down" so the chap stands back up only to be told "ah sure have a seat" by the crime boss

A bit harsh

It's not harsh at all. RTE have no history of producing homemade quality t.v. Sure Linehan and Matthews knew this - that's why they went directly to Channel 4 with 'Father Ted'!(and they show it now, safe with it's repeated success). If everyone in the country had Mr. Pharmacist's 'this is total dump' attitude instead of saying 'ah, sure it's only a bit of craic', they might stop being so complacent with their derivative attempts to tap into this safe market (this shite was probably conducted in a lab, with all elements carefully in place). Rubbish like this has no longevity, in a year's time you'll cringe at the fact that you watched this 'half-decent' show.
Fucking hell, remember 'Upwardly Mobile'? (the fat knack' in it got a headbutt outside a chipper and died, or something like that). Bollocks. Absolute.

There's no chance of rt fucking e taking any chances. Sure, Jaysus, they're still showing 'Fair City'! Cripes.

Show me one decent home-produced show.
Ah, it hardly bothers me really. I don't have any channels :p !

It's not harsh at all. RTE have no history of producing homemade quality t.v. Sure Linehan and Matthews knew this - that's why they went directly to Channel 4 with 'Father Ted'!(and they show it now, safe with it's repeated success). If everyone in the country had Mr. Pharmacist's 'this is total dump' attitude instead of saying 'ah, sure it's only a bit of craic', they might stop being so complacent with their derivative attempts to tap into this safe market (this shite was probably conducted in a lab, with all elements carefully in place). Rubbish like this has no longevity, in a year's time you'll cringe at the fact that you watched this 'half-decent' show.
Fucking hell, remember 'Upwardly Mobile'? (the fat knack' in it got a headbutt outside a chipper and died, or something like that). Bollocks. Absolute.

There's no chance of rt fucking e taking any chances. Sure, Jaysus, they're still showing 'Fair City'! Cripes.

Show me one decent home-produced show.
Ah, it hardly bothers me really. I don't have any channels :p !

I wasn't refering to Mr. Pharmacy's opinions of RTE in general when I said a bit harsh. I was refering to his views on that show, which I thought was pretty good. Yes, RTE have a poor track record showing decent home produced shows, but that's not to say none exist or could possibly exist.

Apparently Bachelors Walk was good (although I've never actually watched a full episode). I thought Pure Mule was excellent and I think Legend is promising.

I know that most of what RTE produce is rubbish but I think some people's attitudes are defeatist.

I thought Legend was the worst Irish drama I've ever seen.
The line "This isn't a game of hide & seek, unless you're seeking a hiding" floored me with its awfulness.

Also, the main characters name is Fridge. Unbelievably bad.

When I saw the girl living next door I thought "Her name will be..... Jacinta or something." and sure enough........

wobbler i dont think im being harsh at all.
i consider myself an objective person when it comes to most things but im constantly amazed by the piss poor shows that rte churns out every season.
bachelors walk was abysmall, badly shot, badly acted, cliched ridden, stereotypes to the rafters. paths to freedom had its moments but tried way too hard and as a result was all over the place.

im not attacking rte as such and i dunno where you're getting this defeatist attitude thing from. rte is a national station. its supposed to have something for everyone but they dont.
saw one episode of pure mule and i didnt like it.

theres a reason why people slag off rte y'know.

i watched it out of curiousity
it didn't really ring true for me... issues of authenticity
dare i say it... it felt like someone quite removed from what was billed as a 'working class' drama wrote, produced, directed, cast, wardrobed it. please don't get me wrong...i'm not saying you have to be blue collar to make something authentic about living in a west dublin council estate...but it might have helped to spend some time researching into it. everything felt like it was forced through some kind of wonky roddy doyle like filter

RTE have produced some good stuff in the past

The Spike
Bracken
Finbar's Class

lots of quality one-off drama [none since around 1987 or so]. Check out Helena Sheehan's book.

Bracken is gas alright. But it's tg4 that resurrected it a few years ago, not rte who were probably afraid of poor ratings. But that's years ago man! I'm talking about the last few years.
This photo will probably disappear tomorrow or sooner. Took me ages to find it...
irishstylehat.jpg

Yeah, forgot about 'paths of freedom'. Only seen it a few times. It's definitely good for home-produced. What's that awful female stand-up, name's eluding me? Michael McElhatton is an exceptional comic/character actor. Possibly the best in the country.
I remember watching 'Finbar's class' with my granny (the cool one). It was alright. I got a twinge of nostalgia for it.

Here Wobbler, no bitterness, eh?
pickingfruit.jpg

Oh yeah, what's 'the spike' - is this ancient as well? The argument, as far as I'm concerned, is recent programming (last ten years or so). 'stereotypes to the rafters' - ha! brilliant! RTE needs to engage the best writers and actors in this country. If they don't get their arse in gear, the bbc will already have fictionalised the life of Haughey with haggard but dynamic Michael Gambon (who is of course Irish!) in the titular role. TG4 put rte to shame. The coverage of electric picnic was awful, didn't grasp any atmosphere at all.

You guys know about Don Wycherly, friend of the common people? DO YE?

Oh yeah, what's 'the spike' - is this ancient as well?

The Spike was shown in 1978.
A series set in a technical school.
Was axed after five episodes due to a nude scene. There was uproar about it. Many people offended and complaints to newspapers, RTE etc.
I have very very hazy memories of the fuss [remember an older kid going out about it] but got to see a few episodes some years later on videotape [sourced by a friend through RTE].

Nate Champion;614857What's that awful female stand-up said:
fucking deirdre o kane.
probably the most condescending fuck from these shores that i can think of.
the thought of her voice sends aids ridden shivers down my spine.

I'm fucking raging about that shot of Gabriel Byrne picking lemons off the tree disappearing (if just for the smile on his face!).

Deirdre O' Fuckin Kane (hellmouth herself) - that's torn it! Lock this fuckin' thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back