Legal aspects of running a gig space (1 Viewer)

Gambra

Anarchic Harmonics
Website
www.noisenotmusic.org
The problems that Seomra Spraoi have just run into have got me thinking about keeping on the right side of the law when it comes to running a diy gig /social space. I'm asking as I may be opening a space for all ages gigs down here in Limerick for a few months starting February for a few months before the building gets torn down. Nothing at all even remotely confirmed but the idea is there.

The place was a place with a bar up until this time last year but was closed after they didn't get a license renewal after complaints from other bars beside them (made up claims cos of the competition) and is now about to be to redeveloped. I hope to convince the owners to let me use it til it gets torn down.

What's needed to have the venue as a "legal" operation? Fire regulations? Live performance licenses? There will obviously be no bar but is there permissions needed to get to have loud music after nine pm? Anyone with info please let me know these things!

The killer. I'm almost certain the building has some form of insurance as it's still a "private members club". Just no public insurance.

The killer. I'm almost certain the building has some form of insurance as it's still a "private members club". Just no public insurance.

Get everyone to join for a nominal fee. Or a day membership for something like a euro out of the door price.

Health and safety certs first and get the fire officer in asap for backdrop hanging as these need to be certified as well as your escapre route;s. Also make sure your sound checks are in compliance with local norms ( ie: depending on proximity of house/apartments/business etc: ) and that your curfews are adhered too. You may even need loads of money too :) Thats all I'm giving out for free from the mainstreem :)

If its just for a few months and the building is getting torn down then fuck it! Just put on a load of crazy gigs and have a mad laugh!!!

That's what I was thinking. Then after that if its actually a success and people still want a space for diy gigs then go for it "properly". It worked for the Basta! collective. I'm slmost certain they still needed insurance though, I remember threads on punk4it about the mad last minute scrambles for insurance for the gigs.

The last quote we got was for 10 gigs over the space of a year for 535 euro. For one gig we were quoted 280 euro. So if you think you have a fair idea of how many gigs you're going to run over the 3 months I'd say you should insure them all at the same time.

No bother. We (the I.N.F.Y, www.infyc.tk ) do gigs in a decent enough sized room upstairs in a community centre. We set the venue capacity to 100 but it didn't affect our quote because it was "not large enough".

l_b3426c438064fb633d60e323a95067fd.jpg

Is that the venue you still use? That's pretty big, would be amazing to find someplace like that here. The best i can find so far is only 200 sq ft and used to be a comic book shop!

No that's another venue we sometimes used. It's fairly good, sound engineer and insurance all included but the lowest door price we could get was 6 euro.

2275806339a6383228746l.jpg

210601486a7194750251l.jpg

Not the best photos for getting an idea of the size of the place unfortunately. I'll see if I can find some better ones. There's a kitchen and computer area as well.

If you put on some decent all ages crazy punk/noise/hardcore gigs in Limerick i'd say there would definatly be a few interested heads here up fora bit of madness.

we're starved of good gigs....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back