League of Ireland - Do people here watch it? (1 Viewer)

Good performance from Fahey last night again against Derry. He is a great player but does have lazy moments.
I think there were some English scouts in the stands last night.
It will be hard for pats to keep him over the winter considering the Irish season is over now.

There was talk of Hertha Berlin signing him after the UEFA Cup tie.

500k is about right in the current "League of Ireland trying to get the most for their best players" climate.
O'Donovan was about that amount as well, but was a different type of player.
he would warm the bench in the premiership though...Championship would be a much better bet.

Will Limerick spoil the party i wonder?
thinking of going to this after the rugby is over...

we've been the form team the last few months and we won there already this season. however we lost to kildare at home last week and we've been giving fringe players a run out lately.

mind you dundalks manager john gill stuck the boot into us over the wexfordgate affair so i dont see us doing him too many favours! :)

even though we've pulled off some great results against the legaue/promotion chasing teams in the division i'd have to think shels will shade it.

i'll be heading up myself...last time i was there shels beat us 4-0. :mad: might have been their first game after ollie byrnes passing now that i think of it.

Robinson (Drogs) and Kalounas (Bohs) off as well.
Dan Murray (Cork) back from a trial at Leeds.

Cork City are some pack of Jokers!

Former Cork football boss Billy Morgan is believed to have turned down an offer to manage Cork City FC.

It has been reported that Cork City owner Tom Coughlan approached the former All-Ireland winning manager and captain with a view to him succeeding Alan Matthews, who parted company with the club last week. But Morgan wasn’t interested.

A source said: "It’s not the sort of phone call you expect and, while it might be flattering that someone would think you could do a job in a different sport, it was never going to be a runner.

"He politely declined the opportunity but wishes City all the best for the future."

Member No. 622 of the Bohemian Football Club (ie I theoretically part own the club)and one of the saddoes who still sees a future for the league built on a proper (if on a small, sustainable scale) European style fan culture where the club is more important than the team. Something a footie on the telly' fan can never aspire to who follows the big international brands. I find it hard to watch any football on the telly unless it is an absorbing game. you miss so much of the tactical nuances of the game from just a camera view. Our generation and demographic will hopefully push the league forward in general towards this goal. I'll give it another decade before I give up on it....but football is in as bad a shape as ever in this country...

Cork City are some pack of Jokers!

Former Cork football boss Billy Morgan is believed to have turned down an offer to manage Cork City FC.

It has been reported that Cork City owner Tom Coughlan approached the former All-Ireland winning manager and captain with a view to him succeeding Alan Matthews, who parted company with the club last week. But Morgan wasn’t interested.

A source said: "It’s not the sort of phone call you expect and, while it might be flattering that someone would think you could do a job in a different sport, it was never going to be a runner.

"He politely declined the opportunity but wishes City all the best for the future."

Fuckin' hell if this is true, it has to be the biggest insult to league of ireland fans, no matter who they support. Can you imagine if it was the other way round and the inbred mutants (GAA) offered a managerial position to someone from a football (soccer) background. There'd be 3 o'clock sunday uprising staring the cast of Dawn of the Dead waving their sticks about.

I find it hard to watch any football on the telly unless it is an absorbing game. you miss so much of the tactical nuances of the game from just a camera view.

Have to agree with you here. Also the producers of any televised game cut out a lot of the crowd chants and songs, so all you get is a watered down "come on ye..." etc on play back every now and then

Get active and get out there and support your local clubs or at least smash a barstooler in the face (with a barstool preferably). The closest they'll get to live action.

Have to agree with you here. Also the producers of any televised game cut out a lot of the crowd chants and songs, so all you get is a watered down "come on ye..." etc on play back every now and then

No they don't. Perhaps you're remembering the old RTE news trick of dubbing generic crowd noise onto silent action clips, which I could never work out. But you certainly don't get that on any properly televised game.

I do agree that going to a match is a more enjoyable experience than TV, and you see the off-the-ball movement, etc, etc.

That Cork City stunt is embarrassing. Urghhh. How low can you go?

That Cork City stunt is embarrassing. Urghhh. How low can you go?

Hi!

staunton-latelate06.jpg

and now finn harps join the long list of financially troubled clubs

Finn Harps Statement

20 December, 2008

Following a Board Meeting of Finn Harps today Saturday the 20th of December Finn Harps Football Club have issued the following statement,

Over the past number of days Finn Harps along with other League of Ireland Clubs have been in discussions with FAI representative regarding licensing criteria for 2009. It has become clear following these discussions that in order to meet the criteria laid down to obtain a licence for the 2009 season Finn Harps will have to put substantial funding in place by the 26th of Jan 2009

Finn Harps will have to raise in the region of 150,000 between now and that date if a licence is to be granted. Finn Harps the club are asking fans to support the club by

Purchasing Season Tickets

Joining the 500 club

In particular supporting the Apartment Draw

Supporting measures which will be announced at the E.G.M

Or by direct financial assistance

Finn Harps will hold a E.G.M in the Finn Valley Centre on Monday the 5th of January at 7 p.m. this will be followed at 8.p.m. by a public meeting in the same venue all members of the public in the North West who are interested in Football are invited to attend the public meeting

Mr Derek Wilkinson Chairman of Finn Harps stated ‘ In the past the public of the North West have supported Finn Harps in time's of difficulty and we are asking the public of the North West to support the Club on this occasion so we can successfully resolved this matter and secure our future in League of Ireland Football ,we are aware that this is a difficult time to deal with this issue as we are in the Christmas period but once we became aware of the situation in the last few days we felt it was important to make our shareholders and the general public aware of the situation and seek their support and assistance'.

Galway United have started a campaign to get people through the turnstyles for next season by getting fans to try and flog 10 season tickets to their mates with the ticket seller getting a complimentary season ticket if successful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back