Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
www.hopecollectiveireland.com
Sorry Folks - but I just want to bore you with a "press release"

'Document – A Story of Hope'

Book Launch September 27

‘Document – A Story of Hope' is a book about music and a book about food. It features contributions from over 120 people who donated both vegan recipes and their personal recollections of Hope Promotions.

Hope Promotions (later, the Hope Collective) hosted independent gigs for 283 foreign and domestic bands in Ireland between 1987 and 1999. Hope brought bands like Fugazi, Downcast, Gorilla Biscuits, Jawbreaker, Wat Tyler and many more to the attention of Irish audiences as well as providing a crucial platform for hometown talent.

Hope put on the Dublin gigs and encouraged others to do so elsewhere. This allowed people in Belfast, Cork, Arklow, New Ross, Dundalk, Carrickmacross, Letterkenny, Limerick, Antrim, Kill, Kilkenny and Waterford to experience touring bands.

Hope's ethos was to provide good music for the greatest number of people at the lowest price possible and to always remain outside of corporate structures. It pioneered an independent, self-supportive ethos at a time when the ambition of most Irish musicians was to sign to a major-label for the maximum amount of money available..

'Document – A Story of Hope' tells the story of those days. There is a story for nearly every gig and a recipe to go with every story. The recipes are all vegan, the stories are all true.

The book includes contributions from band members, gig organisers and those who attended Hope gigs. They have donated recipes and recollections. To mark the width of its appeal, 'Document – A Story of Hope' will be launched over four separate events.

On Friday 27th September, Savage Banter at Thomas House, Thomas Street, Dublin will feature DJs Lee "King"Casey, Happy "Hag" Alpha Relish, DJ Sleepyhead and Niall. Adm: free

On Saturday 28th September, the Dublin Food Co-Op, in St Andrews Resource Centre, Pease Street will host the book's launch. There will be a talk at 11 a.m. on the publishing of it.

The weekend’s festivities culminate in St Andrews Resource Centre at the Vegetarian Society of Ireland’s festival to mark World Vegetarian Day on Sunday September 29.

On Monday 30th September, the GZ Club at Parnell Mooney, Parnell Street, Dublin will host a live gig featuring Estel,Dinah Brand, Gary Fitzpatrick, Angus, Knifed and special guests djing and playing. Adm:4Euros for gig or 10 for gig and book.

Book is 8 Euros, available at the launches or from Freebird Records, Eden Quay Dublin and Road Records, Fade Street Dublin www.roadrecs.com

More information available from [email protected] www.thumped.com/hope

v.g.!
can't wait to see this book.
there's a few stories i'd doubt made it in, we'll see.....

niall forgot to mention that the HOT dj action on the 30th features DJ BJ & DJ PRICK, straight from their tour rep jobs in IBIZA to play the latest dancehall classics of yesteryear.

expect:
sham 69 live bootleg of poor quality.
sheer enery vol.II (first cd i ever bought!)
crass ten notes on a summers day (thanks dud!)
some other punk comp. that cost a pound or so..
random shite (that's NOT a band)

Re: 30 of september 30th

Originally posted by Clodagh
sorry i just thought i'd clarify something, the top of the release says the wrong date (but the bottom says the right date)
so it's monday 30 of september. ok?

That depends on which launch date you're talking about...

Can't wait to see the book.
Hope and React meant the world to me when I was younger and still do.
You're a wonder and inspiration, Mr McGuirk.

"Swap your strat for a spatula: leftfield heavyweights contribute to Document: A Story Of Hope – a cookbook with a difference" - jaysus, Hotpress seemed to have latched onto the vegan recipe side of the book and neglected to mention the fact that the book is the history of Hope.

Originally posted by Monkey
"Swap your strat for a spatula: leftfield heavyweights contribute to Document: A Story Of Hope – a cookbook with a difference" - jaysus, Hotpress seemed to have latched onto the vegan recipe side of the book and neglected to mention the fact that the book is the history of Hope.

Not surprised. Lazy, sloppy jounalism that is.

Getting book tomorrow I hope

Well done NM

My worst nightmare confirmed (in the context of the book that is).
It never arrived on Friday. I found out at 5.15 that it won't be ready until next Tuesday so I've four book launches with no book.

As they say - the show must go on.......

Monday 30th September, the GZ Club at Parnell Mooney, Parnell Street, Dublin will host a live gig featuring Estel,Dinah Brand, Gary Fitzpatrick, Angus, Knifed and special guests djing and playing. Adm:4Euros for gig

Niall has very soundly offered a place for the things stall at this gig tonight, so any of the people/bands playing that want their stuff sold on the night (no markup) bring it along:)

great gig last night, nice varied mix of stuff from punk to poetry

well done Niall .|..| and thanks again:)

knifed "screamed" like no other - fuckin' amazing!
even without sloan.
angus just pipped them to the post as champ though, for those of you around during the 1986-1989 period, he brought it all back.

but most respect of course goes to niall and the sadly overlooked and beautiful unsung hero miriam.
no hope would've meant no hope.

stay punk, even if its just in your heart.

xxx

It's a pity I missed it.... no money... absolutely none.... except for essentials.

I'll save my pennies and buy the book. It seems to be inspirational stuff, and I hope the spirit of the Hope Collective doesn't dissolve in cynicism.

It's a pity I wasn't into the rock scene in Dublin then.... when that was in full swing I was probably wearing Joe Bloggs jeans and listening to the Prodigy.

I missed it too.. heard Gary Fitzpatrick played that brilliant Pincher Martin song, don't know its name but the chorus goes 'Its amazing what they, get away with'

Are there recordings of Pincher Martin, and in particular of this song still around/available? I had a tape from a friend of mine of a 2fm session they did and twas mighty altogether.

Originally posted by Mr Creosote
I missed it too.. heard Gary Fitzpatrick played that brilliant Pincher Martin song, don't know its name but the chorus goes 'Its amazing what they, get away with'

Are there recordings of Pincher Martin, and in particular of this song still around/available? I had a tape from a friend of mine of a 2fm session they did and twas mighty altogether.

Fucking hell, forgot about them
They played a great gig in New Ross about 8/9 years ago

It was a good weekend. 63 people paid in to the gig, 19 bought a book that wasn't there. All the people involved were great. Thank you to the bearded lady, clodagh, gary fitzpatrick (High Hopes is that song), Angus, oonagh, jamie, jane, Decal, Dinah brand, Knifed, Hag, Leagues, Lee, Derrick, Estel and Jamie and of course the beautiful unsung hero Miriam. Everyone played their part and thanks.
Still no book but I have been assured it will be out this week.
I have been blown away by people's help and encouragement so CHEERS.
Niall

the gig really was a brilliant mix of things, a really different night. talked to a crowd of people i rarely see all together at the same shows, picked up some records and zines, enjoyed the bands, and the fact that they were all so different, enjoyed the poems, pretty feckin deadly. even with only enough moneys for one pint after the record and stuff i had a really good night out.

----"Are there recordings of Pincher Martin, and in particular of this song still around/available?" -----

i have a copy of the pincher martin/rapeman tape if u want a copy...........send us a message thing if u do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back