Lap Steel guitar (1 Viewer)

Lefty Frizzell

Any players? I wanna buy one but i'm afraid it'll end up in the wardrobe with my karate suit, snowboard and didgeridoo.

I got one for Christmas. I love it. It'll be on one song on my bands next cd..and after that i guess I'll have to start a Santo and Johnny tribute band

I'll be Santo

I got a nice one on eBay last year. A National/Dobro model from the 70s. Its small, only about 12/13 frets. I got a BOSS volume pedal too for that Nashville swoosh.

Nice sound from it, but I haven't really learned how to play it properly. For starters Im just using Open-D tuning, I think the pro's have their own pedal-steel tunings....maj7ths or something. And Im using a regular hollow slide, because the metal bars are overpriced. I'd like to learn how to play it properly.

It's alot of fun if you have a guitar player to play along with.

Sounds good- I'd like to get the volume pedal to emulate the pedal-steel guitar sound too

I'm use a C6 tuning which is pretty versatile and can get a nice hank Williams era country sound

Youtube is full of tips and tricks

Here's a nice one

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Still wearin' yer blue suede shoes johnnystress?!

How much should I be paying for one?

Mine was about a hundred I think- a Rondo SX

They can get really expensive though

Harley Benton do a really cheap one- about €80 on Thomann- but I read reviews that said the plastic tuners were shite so probably best to avoid

You should get one of these

For the price of a small car

http://www.soundcompound.com/servlet/the-90/Duesenberg-lap-steel-guitar/Detail

johnny, who would be the notable steel players in the business?

The only name I'm aware of is Ben Keith, from Neil Youngs band. Some of his slide playing is incredible -- "Albuquerque" f'rinstance

I don't know a whole lot to be honest, Santo Farina is the first guy I thought of.

I looked up youtube for inspiration when I got my guitar. A lot of them play styles I don't have a whole lot of interest in playing - a lot bluesy stuff ( That I'm just no good at) and a lot of other wishy-washy instrumental stuff

I tend to listen to pedal steel players then try and copy what they do, people like Red Rhodes from Mike Nesmiths band and Buddy Charlton from The Texas Troubadours

Must look up Ben Keith

theres one of those gretch lap steels in the rehearsal room that corpo has just moved into. think it belongs to C4O. i want a go.

I got one a few years ago, Thomman's cheapest... have used it on a few recordings for some country-esque solos... but not spent much more time actually learning it.

Tricky enough to play, there's a real light touch needed, more so then slide on a normal guitar, and some dampening tricks to be learned too... but for the couple of quid it cost me a the time it's good fun... looks great hanging on the wall too!

I'm use a C6 tuning which is pretty versatile

What strings do you use for this tuning? I tried it over the weekend and find that some of the strings won't reach, so I've had to use deeper strings, which means a light string surrounded by two heavier ones gets a bit swamped. Just wondering what the best sequence is?

Its alot of fun though, halfway between Hank Williams and Hawaii.

What strings do you use for this tuning? I tried it over the weekend and find that some of the strings won't reach, so I've had to use deeper strings, which means a light string surrounded by two heavier ones gets a bit swamped. Just wondering what the best sequence is?

Its alot of fun though, halfway between Hank Williams and Hawaii.

hah-there is the danger of everything having a spongebob squarepants feel to it

Mine came already strung and I haven't replaced any strings yet so i couldn't tell you

When the time comes I'll probably get a set like there

http://www.thomann.de/ie/pyramid_slider_saitenset.htm

Richard Hawley and Shez Shelton also use this tuning

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back