Ladyfest Dublin in the Media PLUS Art & Film Update! (1 Viewer)

jmlcomp said:
lads please get a fuckin grip.....
this is utter drivel and reminds me alot of the converge posturing that went on when shock horror a band asked for a garuntee...
can we not just support this????
me and a few friends are probably going to come from cork for the sunday gig so if it was to cost 2cent or 20euro we're still forking out for transport....
so ticket price is a redundant arguement for people who don't have the luxury of living in dublin....
this is a one off event and something that is a first for the irish diy scene, despite whose definition you go by, and this pointless bickering smacks of an ugly self-righteousness and is ultimately self defeating.....
go if you want...
don't go if you don't want...
and finally go on the girls.......
what he said

Is it just me, or does this thread smack of 'Now this isn't exclusively a punk festival lets trash it as much as we can'

Lame.

Robbie Analog said:
Is it just me, or does this thread smack of 'Now this isn't exclusively a punk festival lets trash it as much as we can'

Lame.
I don't think it does. I'm not arsed with how diy or not diy the fest is and am not really in any position to complain, considering I paid 130 odd euro for a ticket to the leeds festival (which at the time i could easily afford), but it seems genuine questions are being fobbed off as just more punks bitching and ppl being begrudging.

Nothing is so great that it can't at least be questioned critically by people?

weeler said:
I don't think it does. I'm not arsed with how diy or not diy the fest is and am not really in any position to complain, considering I paid 130 odd euro for a ticket to the leeds festival (which at the time i could easily afford), but it seems genuine questions are being fobbed off as just more punks bitching and ppl being begrudging.

Nothing is so great that it can't at least be questioned critically by people?
What were the genuine questions?

Wow, commendable effort at loads of responses without even touching on the questions I asked -nice one dudes.

I saw one flyer...as far as I recall half of it was taken up by a description of maybe 3/4 acts?

Okay, so it was a totally made-up, "lets-slag-off-the-Ladyfest" lie that organisers of the festival were talking about sponsorship from a ladies hair salon for free haircuts, and sponsorship from big phone companies? That was all totally made up? Wasn't even mentioned?

Christ, sorry to rain on your fuckin parade but if I've got questions I'm going to ask them. No need to get your back up against the wall, likewise no need for "we all have to unquestioningly support this" (reminds me of "I'm against the war but now the troops are on the ground so we have to support them").

I think it's cool that this is going on, my point is that AS I THOUGHT it was a DIY punk festival that I had certain expectations of it. So had many others that I spoke to, and they were disapointed with how things turned out. If it's not a DIY punk festival, grand, I don't give a shite, end of story. But if it is, then I've a few things to say about it -big fuckin deal, so DIY means a lot to me. But fine, if it's not, fine, forget about it.

Corm said:
Wow, commendable effort at loads of responses without even touching on the questions I asked -nice one dudes.

I saw one flyer...as far as I recall half of it was taken up by a description of maybe 3/4 acts?

Okay, so it was a totally made-up, "lets-slag-off-the-Ladyfest" lie that organisers of the festival were talking about sponsorship from a ladies hair salon for free haircuts, and sponsorship from big phone companies? That was all totally made up? Wasn't even mentioned?

Christ, sorry to rain on your fuckin parade but if I've got questions I'm going to ask them. No need to get your back up against the wall, likewise no need for "we all have to unquestioningly support this" (reminds me of "I'm against the war but now the troops are on the ground so we have to support them").

I think it's cool that this is going on, my point is that AS I THOUGHT it was a DIY punk festival that I had certain expectations of it. So had many others that I spoke to, and they were disapointed with how things turned out. If it's not a DIY punk festival, grand, I don't give a shite, end of story. But if it is, then I've a few things to say about it -big fuckin deal, so DIY means a lot to me. But fine, if it's not, fine, forget about it.

i also enjoy easy, relentlessly adversarial, self-righteous moralizing. can i join your gang?

maybe your questions, and some other people's, weren't answered because they were so inane that they weren't worth answering.

hang on, i'll give it a go:

"this costs a lot of money to put on. they could have charged a lot more but they went out of their way to ensure a decent price. do you have any positive, practical suggestions to make as to how to reduce the ticket price to a level you consider appropriate? if so, can we hear them, rather than just complaints about how things should not have been done?"

"maybe what looks to you like 'bullshit hype' looks to most other people like coherent promotion."

"sorry it doesn't fit with 'your idea of d.i.y.'. maybe you could tell us of a similarly-sized event that has happened in ireland that does fit with 'your idea of d.i.y.' - has there ever been one?"

"it's good to hear that you think it's cool that this is going on. have you considered the possibility that the concerns you are highlighting are being phrased in such an unendingly negative way that it could end up having a practical effect on the motivation and patience of the organisers, and that something you consider to be cool would end up worse off as a result of your actions?"

"that's called graphic design. pretty, isn't it?"

"haircuts?"

weeler said:
Pete is the best thing to happen diy in dublin in a decade.
haw haw

pete thought this kind of thing ended the day the old chinaman was knocked down

so........what we've established in this argument so far is that everyone likes to talk shite at each other on the internet. promising start

pete said:
pete thought this kind of thing ended the day the old chinaman was knocked down

heh.

you guys are sellouts, hope is run by bleedin' students, holochrist aren't a real punk band, it's a breach of my human rights that i'm not allowed drink cans, gearhead nation is run by the cia, etc etc etc.

This has probably run its course and it is best left for those involved to look at it in the cold light of day afterwards, im sure those involved must have more to do this week than argue here.

There seems to me to be two areas of disagreement both of which which will all become a lot clearer when the whole thing is done and dusted and those organising the event be they from a punk, indie or rockabilly background or whatever look back on how it was.

one - the cost
main points of arguements seem to be

a)the festival is costing a reasonable amount based on the overheads and the organisers need to break even or else they will lose money personally.

While it may be unfortunate that some people cannot afford thirty euro, fifteen euro ten euro or whatever thats what it needs to cost. The people we are paying are artistes of a significant enough standard to "draw" a crowd and thats a way of promoting the "message" to people who wouldn't other wise come across these things. if it was a shit bill no one would be happy.

or b) the thing is too expensive, it would have been better to have it cheaper but still run on the same principals by, for example not paying two artistes 300 sterling each on top of travel costs, having less events or whatever. many people are being excluded from attending cause of the price.

This issue will become clear by looking at the festival and seeing who is there, ages, backgrounds, usual faces or new people etc, not by fighting here.

two - hailing some artistes as the main draw, the peopel who are so "big" they need different treatment etc is either a) approrpriate cause they are "names" or b) is inappropriate as all should be treated the same.

Again this will be seen on the day, andrea and mila whoever will either pull in lots of new or different or whoever women and men and justify the expense in bringing them over or they won't and its really for the organisers to look at that afterwards versus the possibility people were put off coming cause of the expense of these artistes in the context of , for example how many under agers attended or whatever.

anyway the sunday gig is good value and its obvious easpa measa should be bottom of any flier so im down with it! lol

and as for bringing up the chinamen, man have things moved on so let it go.

i propose the punks take on the indie kids after school down by the swings. i can referee, as i've been cast out by both fractions for being too emo.

here, well put there, bohs punks.

although...

bohs punks said:
mila whoever

people here could always go and check mira calix out, you know. they might even like her. she does droney, spacey warp/skam-style stuff... the first album, one on one, was kind of patchy, but if you can get your hands on the 'pin skeeling' double 10" anywhere, you should definitely get it, it's great, and it also has a remix by boards of canada which is fantastic (and cool packaging by the designer's republic). her peel sessions 12" is very good, and i haven't heard the most recent album yet, but i'll be getting it soon.

http://www.miracalix.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back