Ladyfest Dublin in the Media PLUS Art & Film Update! (5 Viewers)

ladyfest

If you missed us in last Friday's Irish Times 'The Ticket' supplement, fear not! You can read about us in this Saturday's Irish Examiner, this Sunday's Tribune as well as in the current issues of the following publications: Hot Press, In Dublin, Totally Dublin, U & Image magazines and Backpacker magazine. We're also featured in this Month's SIGLA on-line magazine, and you can check that out here: http://www.siglamag.com
If that wasn't enough, you can also listen to Ladyfesters tomorrow on Today FM's The Last Word show. Listen out for Jane, Cheryl and Edel from 5pm tomorrow. If you live north of the border, you can also catch an interview with us on BBC Northern Ireland's Across the Line radio show. The interview will be broadcast on the show on the 9th of November.

FILM SCHEDULE

Check the site for updates on the film schedule for the weekend of the 12-14 November. We have some really great stuff lined up, including:

Ladyfest Philadelphia.
This documentry by Anne Cremieux and Kerri Pyne follows the organisers of Ladyfest Philly as they kick of the festival the very day the war against Iraq starts. It gives an uncompromising view of the challenges, differences and passion that each woman brought to Ladyfest Philadelphia.

Turkle
This short by Dun Laoghaire graduate Jane Clancy is a tale of love, death and cardboard boxes. Oscar is seven, he lives in his own world, and after a death in the family occurs he deals with it by wearing a cardboard box. Oscar's heart, curiosity and his cardboard box take him on a journey of discovery. He gets the answer to his questions, all thanks to thinking inside his box.

Friend or Food
Directed by Grace Ma from Canada, this short follows three woman working with animals in different sectors. It asks the question of its audience and interviewees on how we see the realationship and differences berween our pets and meat consumption.

Real Men Don't Wear Togs.
Irish director Jennifer Keegan takes us to the Forty Foot, where for years men have come to bathe and swim every morning. It is to them a natural part of their everyday social routine. The film guides us through their reasoning, the history of the Forty Foot, and the women involved in the Forty Foot traditon.

The entire film line-up is available at http://www.ladyfestdublin.org/lineup-artfilm.shtml

ART & PHOTOGRAPHY

In case you didn't know, from tomorrow you can start getting into the Ladyfest swing of things by visiting some excellent exhibitions by women artists and photographers. Among artists exhibiting is painter Laura Cunningham, whose studies in shapes, textures and colours will be shown in Anthology Books (Meeting House Square), along with noted local artist Sarah Sheil, whose oils evoke the nightmarish chills of lullabies sung by a terrifying band of china dolls. Photographer Giita Hammond, originally from Iceland, shows her series of austere architectural images in the salubrious surroundings of Juice (Georges St), while photographs by Aisling McBride and Mary Conlon will be displayed in the Outhouse (Capel St). These exhibitions will be going on for the week prior to Ladyfest, and will finish on the 14th.

Weekend tickets are still available for Ladyfest at a cost of €30, from Road Records, Red Ink / Murder City Records and City Discs. More information, and the weekend schedule is now available on the site at http://www.ladyfestdublin.org/

Thanks!

Update on the Today FM radio appearance:

This has been moved to Monday sometime after 5:30. More info when we have it!

ladyfest said:
Ladyfest Philadelphia.
This documentry by Anne Cremieux and Kerri Pyne follows the organisers of Ladyfest Philly as they kick of the festival the very day the war against Iraq starts. It gives an uncompromising view of the challenges, differences and passion that each woman brought to Ladyfest Philadelphia.
Is this just a video screening or is there an introduction from someone from philadelphia as well?

how about one sticky thread about ladyfest instead of a new one each week?

no other festival would be allowed to post so many threads about itself.

fuck lady fest...fuck it to hell...fuck putting bands up in bewleys hotel and fuck interviews in glossy magazines...fuck rip off prices and fuck you...dylan(i think its his name), a fifteen year old, can do it better and cheaper on his own

conchita said:
fuck lady fest...fuck it to hell...fuck putting bands up in bewleys hotel and fuck interviews in glossy magazines...fuck rip off prices and fuck you...dylan(i think its his name), a fifteen year old, can do it better and cheaper on his own
your ideas interest me and i wish to subscribe to your newsletter.surely people have a problem with paying 15euros into a "punk" gig on the sunday or whatever it is , that has been doing fund raising for how feckin long ? and isnt a good load of the money going to put bands up in hostels ? for fucks sake , what kind of DIY band asks for a hostel ? are HYSTERIA looking for a hostel , i doubt it ...

if it were not for playing , i really dont think id be going to this..

yeha i can't wait to see punk bands like mira callix and andrea parker at ladyfest
cos it's obviously a punk fest
occasionally dudes, the world doesn't revolve around you or your own ideals...s'no biggie
if you feel some attachment, so be it, but i doubt every single ladyfester sees any attachment to you and just wanna put on a festival. DEAF didn't get any of this kinda nonsense, y'know?

andrew

ps - i'd be kinda embarrassed if i put on a festival and asked someone as big as mira calix or whoever to sleep on my mates floor.

I, being at such a distance, wouldn't dare comment upon anything I don't know all the details of (ahem, shut up down the back there...), but it seems to me that a lot of the punx have problems with the Ladyfest...

Is this common or garden punk reactionism, or do they have a point...?

How do the rest of yis (especially some of da punk girls) feel about it?

CEREMONIALDEATH said:
yeha i can't wait to see punk bands like mira callix and andrea parker at ladyfest
cos it's obviously a punk fest
occasinly dudes, the world doesn't revolve around you or your own ideals...s'no biggie
if you feel some attachment, so be it, but i doubt every single ladyfester sees any attachment to you and just wanna put on a festival. DEAF didn't get any of this kinda nonsense, y'know?

andrew

ps - i'd be kinda embarassed if i put on a festival and asked someone as big as mira calix or whoever to sleep on my mates floor.

Posted at the same time as my last post...

I had the impression that the Ladyfest was set up by the punx, with DIY ideals and, well, a punk focus...

Although I also had the impression that it sorta "slipped out of the hands" of the punx...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back