Ladies: latest amazing makeup discoveries (2 Viewers)

Super Dexta said:
can one of you guys make me up to look like this?
predator.jpg

dunno, never seen ya but it might take me a while! he he!

rowdy row tinka said:
just sayin, ok, heres one for the lads as well, lads, did ya know most soaps and face washes and shampoos have sls in them that can make you get cateracts?

SLS == sodium laurel sulphate. it's just a detergent - if it wasn't in the products, they wouldn't foam - as far as i know the main problem with it is that it can strip all the moisture from your skin and hence it's really bad for people with eczema or other dry/sensitive skin conditions. i have never, ever heard that it can make you go blind (though, like a lot of perfectly safe substances, it's an irritant if it gets into your eyes, but, er, unless you're rubbing soap into your eyes on a regular basis...). i dunno, it's one of those things that seems to turn up all the time as a sort of soapy axis of eeeevil thing on skincare/eczema websites, and as far as i know, most of the claims are bollocks (eg that it is carcinogenic).

edit: aha, yes, the cataracts thing seems to be unsubstantiated as well.

also, actually, a lot of products now have sodium laureth sulphate (SLES) in them instead, which is a lot easier on your skin. i can use products with SLES where SLS would make my scalp itch.

[/has veeeeery tetchy skin, avoids SLS for skin-drying reasons]

minka said:
SLS == sodium laurel sulphate. it's just a detergent - if it wasn't in the products, they wouldn't foam - as far as i know the main problem with it is that it can strip all the moisture from your skin and hence it's really bad for people with eczema or other dry/sensitive skin conditions. i have never, ever heard that it can make you go blind (though, like a lot of perfectly safe substances, it's an irritant if it gets into your eyes, but, er, unless you're rubbing soap into your eyes on a regular basis...). i dunno, it's one of those things that seems to turn up all the time as a sort of soapy axis of eeeevil thing on skincare/eczema websites, and as far as i know, most of the claims are bollocks (eg that it is carcinogenic).

edit: aha, yes, the cataracts thing seems to be unsubstantiated as well.

also, actually, a lot of products now have sodium laureth sulphate (SLES) in them instead, which is a lot easier on your skin. i can use products with SLES where SLS would make my scalp itch.

[/has veeeeery tetchy skin, avoids SLS for skin-drying reasons]

Youre a clever girl, but like I was just tryin to sensationalise it to make it more interestin for the lads who were skulkin on this thread. I'm allergic to fuckin everythin, includin most fellas, as they are to me. I don't really like they way they test SLS on animals like, theres no need for that like just so I can was me mug and scalp in the mornin. Interesting article.

rowdy row tinka said:
I was just tryin to sensationalise it to make it more interestin for the lads who were skulkin on this thread.

curses, maybe i should have added some explosions....

rowdy row tinka said:
nothin, I have has sls and it foams like a hoo ha, all ya need is coconut to make stuff faom, try the Jason stuff, it's good value 13 euro but bottle is massive! will last 2 months!

what is this jason stuff? shampoo? shower things? does it smell nice? inquiring minds want to know!

and yeah, i know sls isn't the only foaming agent, just that that's what it's put in for. i'm not actually some sort of soap obsessive, honest, but i went through a period where i could literally only use products suitable for eczema-afflicted babies without my skin reacting, so became hyper-aware of possible irritants in skincare products.

speaking of which, i got a nice big sample of lush's moisturizer with spf, i will see if that does the trick without making my face into a pizza.

You get Jason in the health shops, its biodegradable, sls free, not tested on animals, get the lavender shower gel, its so good. their deo is no good, buy the Tom's of maine stuff tho, thats good, and Kingfisher toothpaste is cheap and good. Also the Dr Haushcka lemon salt toothpaste is good and it really works,
not for use in america as it is flouride free, and us Irish have enough of that in our water already.. hope this helps.

rowdy row tinka said:
You get Jason in the health shops, its biodegradable, sls free, not tested on animals, get the lavender shower gel, its so good. their deo is no good, buy the Tom's of maine stuff tho, thats good, and Kingfisher toothpaste is cheap and good. Also the Dr Haushcka lemon salt toothpaste is good and it really works,
not for use in america as it is flouride free, and us Irish have enough of that in our water already.. hope this helps.

ta! lemon toothpaste. intriguing.

Favourite make-ups:

Foundation- MAC studio-tech. Fucking rapid. One of those cream ones you put on with a sponge. I will never return to liquid foundations. Only draw-back with the MAC one is that if you use it every day it runs out in a few short months.

Concealer- again, MAC do a great one for blemishes that comes in a wee tub. YSL Touche "technically a highlighter not a concealer" Eclat is great for around the eyes and I mean ALL around the eyes- it brightens them up wonderfully and is very light and refreshing, thus reducing puffiness. Go on you good thing.

Benefit's Benetint is wonderous for making cheeks rosy and makes a kick-ass lip stain too, for those afeared of lipsticks and glosses. I love it.

Blusher - Benefit's blushers are excellent, Hoola for a light natural effect and Dallas for a bronze blush. Easy to use and last all the livelong day without going wonky. Come with crap application brushes that should be discarded immediately.

Mascara- as far as I'm concerend, Maybelline are the best for reasonably priced, good mascaras. I use Sky High Curves (I think..)- easy to apply, doesn't flake or go smudgy AND doesn't turn to sticky gloop in a tube within a fortnight.

And I think Garnier is great for cheap but fantastic moisturisers- I have FOUR different kinds of their moisturisers and all work wonders on my woefully weird skin.

ladies! yesterday i went to this press demo of this wax called Poetic Wax. Bliss Spa (worldwide, not the one in sandycove) use the strip wax in their salons, but have this amazing stripless diy heat-at-home-yourself stuff. it comes with this yummy cleabsing lotion you put on the area first, then you put a drop of this gorgeous oil on the area. then you apply the wax (which is surprisinly less painful than other at-home waxes i've used. amazing stuff!

200.jpg

La La said:
ladies! yesterday i went to this press demo of this wax called Poetic Wax. Bliss Spa (worldwide, not the one in sandycove) use the strip wax in their salons, but have this amazing stripless diy heat-at-home-yourself stuff. it comes with this yummy cleabsing lotion you put on the area first, then you put a drop of this gorgeous oil on the area. then you apply the wax (which is surprisinly less painful than other at-home waxes i've used. amazing stuff!

200.jpg

I never really liked bliss , it's big in America, but I always found it Uber-perfumed.kinda like paint stripper.

Is Dr Hauska make up really crap? When their moisturisers and stuff are so nice? Cos I was thinking of throwing out my four year old bottle of number 7 crap foundation and me two stargazer eyeshadows :eek: and changing over to some grown up's make up. I was going to buy a load of Hauska with my work discount because I may not be a health food shop assistant for much longer! All the girls/ladies at work use it and they say it's good... Then again, I very rarely wear any so maybe it's not worth splashing out on expensive Dr Hauska :confused:

frona said:
Is Dr Hauska make up really crap? When their moisturisers and stuff are so nice? Cos I was thinking of throwing out my four year old bottle of number 7 crap foundation and me two stargazer eyeshadows :eek: and changing over to some grown up's make up. I was going to buy a load of Hauska with my work discount because I may not be a health food shop assistant for much longer! All the girls/ladies at work use it and they say it's good... Then again, I very rarely wear any so maybe it's not worth splashing out on expensive Dr Hauska :confused:

I love the distinctive Dr Hauschka sherbetty smell. :heart:

Never even knew they did make-up. Only ever had the creams and stuff in sample size - twice my Germany brother brought me a pressie of those little tins with the small tubes of this and that. Apparently Madonna will only use that real greasy Dr. Hauschka moisturiser. Day and night. Mad bitch - makes you look oily as bejaysus.

roxy said:
I love the distinctive Dr Hauschka sherbetty smell. :heart:

Never even knew they did make-up. Only ever had the creams and stuff in sample size - twice my Germany brother brought me a pressie of those little tins with the small tubes of this and that. Apparently Madonna will only use that real greasy Dr. Hauschka moisturiser. Day and night. Mad bitch - makes you look oily as bejaysus.
That's the rose day cream. Bints her age always use it. Jaysus, it flies off the shelves at work! Quince day cream is the nice one. I use the Weleda iris range cos it's cheaper though.

Yeah, they do make up too. We stock the full range of their other products but only get in the make up in on special order.

Get Argan Oil from Morocco. Apparently it's the best thing going for keeping yourself young and all that. Also can be used for cooking (instead of olive oil).

It comes from the shit of goat's who climb trees - I "kid" you not.

fructis = fuckthis.

Bellatrix said:
I don't know what it is in Garnier products that my skin takes such exception to, but take exception it does.

Salt%20Monster.jpg

Did somebody say Fructis?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back