Killarney (1 Viewer)

FiFi_LaRue

My folks are heading down to Killarney for the Easter weekend, my dad is climbing Carrantouhil on the Saturday, which leaves my mum with some free time to doss around herself.

Can anyone suggest anything that's worth doing, or seeing while they're down there. Particularly any craft type places, or similar that the mammy might be able to head to on her todd.

Also if people could suggest any decent restaurants where they could go in the evenings, I'd be much obliged!

Cheers.

take a boat trip on the lakes, probably better with a crowd tho, but maybe you can jump in with another crowd. muckross house and gardens is lovely to wander around for an hour or two aswell.

For the daytime, the best thing to do is head into the National park (avoid rip-off jarveys) and take a tour around Muckross house. There's also a traditional farm there which shows the methods etc of ye olden days, but which actually quite good. You can get a boat across the lake to a lovely little renovated house/coffee shop called dinis cottage which is nice.

Otherwise, try the walled garden or just go for a walk.

There's quite a modern hotel in the centre of the village (at the roundabout where the jarvey stand is) which has a very nice modern (Dublin standard) restaurant. If they want a really nice restaurant, try the Killarney Park hotel. (In general, the best eating in Killarney is in hotels rather than restaurants.)

I had a really good lunch in this restaurant on Saturday. Wish I could've had dinner there. There's also a place called Bricin further up that street on the opposite side which is supposed to be good but it was closed when I wanted to go in. Only opens Thursday - Saturday 6 to 9.30 I think.

There's quite a modern hotel in the centre of the village (at the roundabout where the jarvey stand is) which has a very nice modern (Dublin standard) restaurant.

:rolleyes:

There actually isn't a whole pile to do here than already mentioned above... maybe im a bit jaded though cos I live here....
i'd really recomend Muckross though, and the boatrip on the lakes. I think you might be able to visit Inisfallen Island. Dinis is really nice too, and rrandom wanderings in the National Park is a great buzz.
The muckross arboretum is really cool too.

Foodwise, The Killarney Park is supposed to be very nice but i've never eaten there myself. My cousin is doing chefing there and my impression is that it is top notch.

Trey Vauds is really nice. It has a pretty ecclectic menu, including Kangaroo meat... but a lot of normal stuff too. would be wise to make a reservation beforehand as the resteraunt is a bit small.

Lord Kenmares is another quite nice restaraunt, it's more of a traditional menu if thats what you're folks are into.
http://www.murphysofkillarney.com/kenmares.html

Incidentally...i've had a craving to climb carrantuohill lately, might bump into you're auld lad up there.:)

Need any pub reccomendations?

Ara, sure why not? "Old Man" pubs, or pubs with trad sessions might be the type they'd go to so if you know any that'd be cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back