guitar repair/refret recommendations (1 Viewer)

JohnnyRaz

where the crow ate the man
Supporter
folks - have a guitar that needs love and attention beyond my ability to provide it.

specifically, after 12 years and a main instrument for 3 bands it needs some fretwork (second fret dead on the treble side). were it electrics or wookwork I'd tinker at it myself, but even I'm not stupid enough to attack a set neck hollowbody as a first fret-work project.

any suggestions (dublin)

I'd 100% recommend Nestor Guitars based in Harolds Cross.He reset the neck on both a mandolin and guitar for me,levelled and dressed the frets,did a perfect job.

Pm me for his number if you'd like

cool - would I be able to drop it in (ie is shop still open)or would I have to book?
any idea on the cost?

Open from today at 4 Dean Street. We have a bunch in but handiest to call in with it. Depends on what's needed, could be a fret level rather than refret so he'll need to assess it first.

Open from today at 4 Dean Street. We have a bunch in but handiest to call in with it. Depends on what's needed, could be a fret level rather than refret so he'll need to assess it first.

cool - theyre medium jumbos, without too much other wear, so it would be great it it was just a level required.

I bought a cheap second hand Squire Tele years ago and it has a few really worn frets. Too worn to play. I ended up giving the guitar to my niece. I asked her about it the other day. It's in the attic. She asked if I wanted it back.
Can frets be replaced individually or should I consider refretting the whole thing? Would like to mess about with it a bit too, pick ups etc but I had every intention of doing that with my offset tele but didn't.

I mean I took apart an plug board the other week with the intentions of fixing it. The whole thing went in the bin.

I bought a cheap second hand Squire Tele years ago and it has a few really worn frets. Too worn to play. I ended up giving the guitar to my niece. I asked her about it the other day. It's in the attic. She asked if I wanted it back.
Can frets be replaced individually or should I consider refretting the whole thing? Would like to mess about with it a bit too, pick ups etc but I had every intention of doing that with my offset tele but didn't.

I mean I took apart an plug board the other week with the intentions of fixing it. The whole thing went in the bin.

@GO did a diy re-fret I think

Depends on how low the other frets are but generally it's possible and pretty common on guitars where the player only plays the first five frets/open chords only.

@GO did a diy re-fret I think
Yeah, its not that hard on a rosewood fingerboard . Totes doable.

I barely had to even level the ones I did. Just tap down any high ones. Worked a treat

I think there was one I had to rub down with sandpaper a tiny bit

Depends on how low the other frets are but generally it's possible and pretty common on guitars where the player only plays the first five frets/open chords only.

yea the previous owner was that type of player from what I could tell (I haven't seen the thing in about 10years). I bought it from a Ham Sandwich guy, not the beardy one.

Yeah, its not that hard on a rosewood fingerboard . Totes doable.

I barely had to even level the ones I did. Just tap down any high ones. Worked a treat

I think there was one I had to rub down with sandpaper a tiny bit

I'm gonna try make a fret board from scratch for my next project - hope I have your luck (or skill at the tapping :))

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back