kevin myers goes to the indo (1 Viewer)

spiritualtramp said:
Godwins law.

Myers article led to the swift change of the rules on single mother living with their partners. The awww diddums crowd can bitch and moan about Myers being a cunt all they want but the fact is that bastards article made a very positive contribution to the lives of single mothers.

yeah fucking right. he's a "writer" who can only get attention because of his scripted confrontational stance. he is deeply boring and his article on single mothers was offensive and ignorant.

Brian Conniffe said:
yeah fucking right. he's a "writer" who can only get attention because of his scripted confrontational stance. he is deeply boring and his article on single mothers was offensive and ignorant.
If you find him so boring try not reading his articles.

The reason I love Myers is this: Before the hang Myers fest was going on two of my mates who had a kid were fucking bricking it as the welfare were investigating them. Their dreadful crime was that herself was claiming unmarried ma housing benefit but her partner was living with them (he wanted to be with his bird and kids but couldn't afford to pay all the rent etc. on his wages) and they got snared.

After that Myers article the benefits law was changed instantly regarding single mothers living with their kids fathers, stress for my mates = over. So I'm utterly delighted for my friends and their children that Myers wrote that article.

Nobody gives a damn these days if a childs parents are not married. The state was ever so slightly behind on this matter and Myers (unintentionally I imagine) gave it a good kick up the arse with that column.

aoboa said:
No matter what your friends situation was - it doesn't take away from the fact that Myers article was not writen with good intentions.

http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=535521&postcount=18
Um yeah, I've already said I didn't think he actually intended to change the law.

Worked out well though, didn't it? Or do people wish he never wrote it? I'd imagine if that article was not published unmarried couples with kids would still be in the same position of sneaking around living in "sin" or not living together as they couldn't afford to.

It was truly quite heartening to see the whole country up in arms over someone slagging off of single mothers considering the disgraceful way they have been treated in the past, babies ripped from their arms and nobody giving a damn, maggie laundries etc.

Comparing Myers to Hitler is laughable, I don't recall him mentioning any gas chambers.

spiritualtramp said:
two of my mates who had a kid were fucking bricking it as the welfare were investigating them. Their dreadful crime was that herself was claiming unmarried ma housing benefit but her partner was living with them (he wanted to be with his bird and kids but couldn't afford to pay all the rent etc. on his wages) and they got snared.

you do realise that these are precisely the type of people that Myers despises the most?

Be the Hokey said:
you do realise that these are precisely the type of people that Myers despises the most?
So? Please advise me how his articles have actually harmed them. If anything he has assisted them to stay together as a family unit.

The man is perfectly entitled to his publish his opinions even if they piss people off.

People also have the option of not reading his column.

Myers' ranting about single parents had nothing whatsoever to do with the Social changing anything. It was already on the cards; been talked about for years, long before the latest miniature of social came on the scene and even longer before that twonk myers' mentioned anything (preferring usually to tell us how great the british nation is and that we really should be thankful to them for society - prick - sure didn't they win the war againt the evil hun, single handedly?). It's a practical measure, pure and simple.

Add that to the fact that the gobshites who will turn around and tell the social they're living with their fellits, only to discover they're above the income limit cos their partner is working and find themselves cut off....

Ah, the lord giveth and the lord taketh away.

It all works out in the end.

Goff said:
Myers' ranting about single parents had nothing whatsoever to do with the Social changing anything. It was already on the cards; been talked about for years,

Of course it had been discussed. But that article certainly sped things up.

Didn't the government change the rules within a week or so? It was really quick, I remember it being announced on the news and being pretty impressed.

Have you got proof that the date they announced it was chosen before the Myers single mothers debate popped up?

Goff said:
Add that to the fact that the gobshites who will turn around and tell the social they're living with their fellits, only to discover they're above the income limit cos their partner is working and find themselves cut off....
If you happen to be referring to my mates, they were snared by a surprise visit from the welfare. They didn't "turn around" and tell the social they were living together.

i didn't say he harmed anyone, nor did he speed things up in the slightest. that notion is inyour head only.

i only asked if you realise that you are suggesting that Myer's hasn't harmed anyone, but in fact he HELPS people, particularly those he despises.

total twaddle

"Have you got proof that the date they announced it was chosen before the Myers single mothers debate popped up? "

eh, likewise do you have any proof that they chose the date after Myers article?

spiritualtramp said:
Have you got proof that the date they announced it was chosen before the Myers single mothers debate popped up?

If you happen to be referring to my mates, they were snared by a surprise visit from the welfare. They didn't "turn around" and tell the social they were living together.

No. Only ten+ years of working in the Department. And being involved in the talking. And the experience of knowing that nothing (and I mean nothing) would enable the civil service to get off their collective arse and implement a scheme like that so quickly. Nor does any talk in the media. Because by the time it's all died down, it hasn't even started behind the scenes. If they were to react to every media story, nothing would be done. It's all long term.

Also, there WAS a headline in the paper when it was first being mooted for public consumption, which predated the Myers shite by a bit. Which, in fairness, is probably what got him thinking on the subject.

Every time the Social GIVES out a new payment or increase, there's an awful lot of testing and calculating how it's going to effect other schemes/payments/PRSI.

Re your mates. ONE visit? And they admitted it? "No, I was just riding her," is the answer. Not, "Yeah we're living together". Just say, "I'm entitled to barrel the mother of me babby. Sure, amn't I allowed me three nights a week stay over to look after the welfare of the child?"

And anyone who has any sense will stick to that one. They're not allowed wander around your gaff, snooping and checking to see if his jocks are in the drawers. He's allowed to have his jocks in the drawers. They're your drawers, you can do what you like with them.

What does Kevin's mother think of him? I think she should write the Irishman's Diary instead. It'd be hilarious.

spiritualtramp said:
If you find him so boring try not reading his articles.

so if i find something objectionable i should ignore it, and ideally not state my opinion? that reasoning is complete bullshit.

The reason I love Myers is this: Before the hang Myers fest was going on two of my mates who had a kid were fucking bricking it as the welfare were investigating them. Their dreadful crime was that herself was claiming unmarried ma housing benefit but her partner was living with them (he wanted to be with his bird and kids but couldn't afford to pay all the rent etc. on his wages) and they got snared.

the reason i hate myers is this: he is spouting nothing more than conservative reactionary bollocks dressed up as supposedly-humourous supposedly-thought-provoking social commentary, however he does not have the wit to pull it off. its fucking tedious, and i loath the fact that it can be considered of having any merit or significance.

friends of mine who are single mothers found his "MOB" article pathetic.

Nobody gives a damn these days if a childs parents are not married. The state was ever so slightly behind on this matter and Myers (unintentionally I imagine) gave it a good kick up the arse with that column.

no he didnt. he changed fuck all with his column, he only managed to offend people and reinforce some extremely blinkered and objectionable viewpoints.

spiritualtramp said:
heir dreadful crime was that herself was claiming unmarried ma housing benefit but her partner was living with them (he wanted to be with his bird and kids but couldn't afford to pay all the rent etc. on his wages) and they got snared.

After that Myers article the benefits law was changed instantly regarding single mothers living with their kids fathers, stress for my mates = over. So I'm utterly delighted for my friends and their children that Myers wrote that article.
Two things: What they did was fraud. And still will be. There are lots of people who cannot afford to pay the rent etc. but they do it anyway. There are other schemes like FIS, which can help if their wages are too low. FIS is one of the reasons the Social can start talking about allowing couples to live together. It more or less evens out in the end.

And the other thing: The law hasn't actually changed yet. There is no definite date for this to happen. Seamus Brennan is quite keen to have this happen quickly (after all, there will be an election in the next 12 months) but the thing is fraught with difficulties. It's not a cut and dried thing. It WILL happen. But it hasn't happened yet.

I don't want to sound like a downer on you or your mates, cos it's not meant. Just be careful. And the thing is, most SWO's seems to be turning a blind eye to it at the moment anyway. So I hope it works out for them. So don't tell them. They don't need the stress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back