Just got an Android phone..Recommended apps for it. (2 Viewers)

Ferox13

I got a Samsung galaxy s i9000 yesterday. Setting it uo today. I'm a total novice when it comes to phones.

I presume some of the bundled software isn't the best for the job (from what I've heard).
I recommended APPS i should get.

In particular:

Web Browser (is Starfire the best?)
Media Player (I'm looking at VLC for this as it seeks to be able to stream music from a net work drive).
PDF reader
Barcode reader.

The Android Market place is non fully functional in Ireland now - I'm right in thinking this..

Thanks for any input..

*Not posted with Android yet
android.png

LOL - I'm none too musical but it might previde some entertainment for the top of bus stuck in traffic crowd.

Layer is deadly. I think all Samsung smartphones come with it. I can sit on my couch and point the phone in the direction of the bus stops around the area and it will give me the timetables. It also tells me how much the house across the street is going for and where all the unsecured wireless connections in the area are.

Google places is pretty cool too. It uses your gps to tell you where all of the restaurants, bars,etc in the area are and gives you reviews, directions, etc.

TuneIn Radio is the best radio player I've come across (it's free on Android but a paid app on iOS).

Excellent thanks for all those...I'll check those out. I'm going to resist Angry Birds as long as i can :)

sleep like an droid looks really interesting (Do androids dream of Electric sheep :) - I think I'd need to drug my GF to gt it to work..You tube remote looks good too. I think there is a VLC remote too i'll get that as I have my PC linked to the TV by HDMI. I'll definally get Evernote/remember the milk amazing :)..

I always heard about Shazam and it sounds amazing but it looks like you havve to pay for it now or its very limited. Sound hound looks like it does the same for free. I may check that out...

So far I'm liking it. I had a little hassle hooking up to my Local Wi-Fi. It didn't like my Mac Filtering so I had to turn that off my router. Speaking of which my Mac addy wasn't showing up on my handset. I rang eMobile - they have the dumbst tech suppport I've spoken to in a long time . I evently just did a factory reset and all was ok..

Not gone mad with Apps yet just got the IMDB one.
The email client doesn't seem to like Yahoo Mail - plus it seems like the Yahoo one sucks. I will give it a run..

Gonna have a bit of fun trying to get it on my Local Network now..

Poop - I need to pay for Remember The Milk. It looks good - is it worth it or is there other free apps out there as good?

I wouldn't mind paying a one of for it not a sub..

I tryed Astrid as papprently you can link it to RTM through your Gmail. I got RTM to link to Gmail but could do the last step.

I'd like a to do list app that I could sync to an online on and would have alarms and reminders ect..I might try Google Tasks combined with Gtask.

I'm not sure what ye mean in that you can't buy off the Android market? I've been buying off it for months.. You just need to set up a Google checkout account with the same email you set up the phone with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back