Website/App for Independant promoters/musicians/labels/fans (1 Viewer)

Wavioli

Hey All,

I'm doing a MA in Creative Digital media at the moment, and soon it shall be major project time. So I was thinking of developing an app/website that could help in the promotion of gigs/labels/artists etc.

Here's where you lot come in. I have a few vague ideas, but to get a more solid grasp on what would work, be useful It'd be great to hear what you feel the biggest problems with promoting a gig/label etc. are.

Obviously Thumped does a great job at this already, so I'd be looking at some thing other than a forum (or if it all works out well, collaboration? eh petey? :p)

Some of the ideas I have: some sort of location based phone jobby, that you could let friends know where you are, check in at gigs upload pics (and all the usual old gubbins), that would feed in to a website, thus creating a 'top ten' of gigs/ artists etc.

The idea being that hard working bands/labels would place higher and get more recognition for their hard work, while fans would be rewarded with being a 'top fan' or some such. Labels and artists would have complete control over their page and could offer rewards.

I think it could serve as a good way of finding out who the good bands are in an area (especially if you're new to the area), and also help fill venues.

Anyways, thats about the gist of it. It's still in an early stage, any input would me much appreciated.

Apologies if there are too many buzz words !ninjaaaa

Cheers

It sounds like a good idea all right.

What I'd love is a myspace that wasn't shit. It used to be fantastic for contacting other artists and getting feedback from fans. I suppose you can do all that shite with facebuke now but I hate facebuke.

Interaction is obviously important... facebook captures the inherent pathetic attention span better than most but that sort of a model can be used to people's advantage... posting videos, band/gig pages etc but the problem is that you can't do anything with the band pages to customise them... you can do it with Bandcamp... which isn't really anything other than a storage space... there's no interaction..... and myspace... which lost it's ass in popularity judging by the volume of pages that were never re-customised after the beta changeover ( plus the fact that nobody with a soul wants ads for Vodafone and Xbox.... in the middle of their band presentation ) .... From a point of view of having a band platform, I've been using Blogger so that you're starting with a blank page and can do anything you want to funk it up.

A central streaming idea like Facebook has potential so long as it has content and not... " I think I'll have a cup of coffee now ".... or if it was band related not inane crap like " deadly practice tonight, ripping new tune "... a way of customising your feed so that you're not seeing stuff about Glen Hansard if you're more inclined towards Fuck You Written In Shit would obviously be important in this case....

As someone who is involved in music that only exists on the internet, being able to have control over your presentation is just as important as the files you're forcing upon people!
Tags would be useful too so that if you were in a certain type of band, you could be presented with a list of similar local bands ( like on lastFM ) you might not know or have bothered to check out because they had a stupid name or beards or were grown men who still wore spiderman t-shirts and couldn't pull their trousers up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back