joe strummer!! (1 Viewer)

the stuff he did with the mescaleros is brilliant, he was finally gettin back into form with the last record!! plus the clash didnt get back together for any money, the closest they got was mick gettin on stage with joe to raise money for firefighters!! but that wasnt even planned. i think it sucks that joe is gone an john Lydon stilll walks round pissin an moanin bout the same things! pistols made one record which im sure most ppl have been into at some stage but it wore thin that they only had the one record!! where the clash kept it going for a few records!!

Yeah they did some awful stuff towards the end of their career but all credit for pushing their boundaries and trying new things- not my cup of tea but they weren't afraid to embrace emerging musical genres like the prototype hiphop and disco-ish stuff,ecpecially as it alienated a lot of their punk fanbase. It's this spirit that has people using words like "pioneer" when they refer to Joe Strummer. The fact that Joe returned to his r&b , rock and roll roots later in his solo career keeps makes the disco stuff easier to accept/forget (delete as apporopriate)

great , great song
Nicely written piece Johnny.

Alot of people who started off with the Clash stayed with them thru all their albums...as if it was a whole new genre "Clashmusic" so to speak.
I drifted off 'em but can understand their critical acclaim for their 3rd and 4th albums.
Primitive is also unfair to quote stuff from the Cut the Crap album as Mick Jones was long gone by then.

also as a funny sideshow you had Crass dissing The Clash who bought out the song "White Punks on hope" which included the lyrics
"They said that we were trash,
Well the name is Crass, not Clash.
They can stuff their punk credentials
Cause it's them that take the cash."

and then Special Duties bought out their own dissing Crass song "Bullshit Crass" which included the lyrics
"Anarchy and peace promote the Crass
But it ain't for freedom, it's just for cash
They don't mean what they say
What they preach, there is no way"

which somehow reminds me of the smaller fish who is then eaten himself by a bigger fish and him by a bigger!

Nicely written piece Johnny

Alot of people who started off with the Clash stayed with them thru all their albums...as if it was a whole new genre Clashmusic so to speak.
I drifted off 'em but can understand their critical acclaim for their 3rd and 4th albums.
Primitive is also unfair to quote stuff from the Cut the Crap album as Mick Jones was long gone by then.

also as a funny sideshow you had Crass dissing The Clash who bought out the song "White Punks on hope" which included the lyrics
"They said that we were trash,
Well the name is Crass, not Clash.
They can stuff their punk credentials
Cause it's them that take the cash."

and then Special Duties bought out their own dissing Crass song "Bullshit Crass" which included the lyrics
"Anarchy and peace promote the Crass
But it ain't for freedom, it's just for cash
They don't mean what they say
What they preach, there is no way"

which somehow reminds me of the smaller fish who is then eaten himself by a bigger fish and him by a bigger!

Hit Nail The Head On The.

!bing

Also you have so many people now wearing Clash t-shirts the way Ramones t-shirts are wore....by a new generation who wern't around then but it's like it's totally hip to be seen in them.

its strange innit, im way too young to have remembered any of wht happened in 70's or 80's but i do get annoyed whn ye see ppl buzzin round in there house of fraizer ramones t-shirt!! janer, who do we blame??

Obviously I think what happens is the bands are broken up/dead so the remaining members might as well license their name out for any bucks they can get.

its strange innit, im way too young to have remembered any of wht happened in 70's or 80's but i do get annoyed whn ye see ppl buzzin round in there house of fraizer ramones t-shirt!! janer, who do we blame??

I blame that cunt Bono. Actually i blame him on everything that happens in this world, poverty, War, Peace etc......

the stuff he did with the mescaleros is brilliant, he was finally gettin back into form with the last record!! plus the clash didnt get back together for any money, the closest they got was mick gettin on stage with joe to raise money for firefighters!! but that wasnt even planned.

yeah but they would have reformed for the Rock'n'Roll hall of fame thing if joe hadn't died and then who knows what....

Whatever your feelings are about The Clash they did not change music in any way whatsoever (which is not to say they were a bad band even though I really dont like them). Intelligent protest existed long before The Clash as did punk. If they invented anything it's ropey reggae crossover *shudder*

That's a fair point, they did produce some brutal some stuff in the end. But when they were good, they were incredible.
Also Joe Strummer, (and I know this is a well drummed out phrase), really did inject the intelligence into punk, and changed the face of it (and music) for the better. ..........All big statements here, but it's true!

Wikipedia is a good starting point to find out more about him.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Strummer

Whatever your feelings are about The Clash they did not change music in any way whatsoever (which is not to say they were a bad band even though I really dont like them). Intelligent protest existed long before The Clash as did punk. If they invented anything it's ropey reggae crossover *shudder*

how does one 'change music'?

they changed peoples lives and turned lots of people onto other forms of music. If they hadn't done it someone else may have but the fact is the Clash did do it.

Joe Strummer seems to have been a very charismatic person (I only saw him live once but even then he seemed cool) and that rubbed off on people, maybe that's the real reason he is seen as such a legend and admired by so many. He seemed to really believe in what he was doing and to be enjoying it even if it was just some 'ropey reggae crossover' or dodgy rock'n'roll by numbers song and that appeals to me (and others it seems).

It's called Dub reggae and was well received by music critics.
Listen to Free Market Clash and there are about half a dozen tracks on Sandinista......
They may change ur mind.

I'm far too young for it all of course but went through a big clash phase when I was 16/17 or so. I love all their stuff, great music played by people who believed in what they were doing, for better or for worse.

anyway, if anyone wants it a quick google search turned up that unedited combat rock I was on about earlier

ttp://www.megaupload.com/?d=BAAXSIV0

anyway, if anyone wants it a quick google search turned up that unedited combat rock I was on about earlier

ttp://www.megaupload.com/?d=BAAXSIV0

Is that version with Walk Evil Talk on it, or the Rat Patrol From Fort Bragg one? Anyhoo, either way it isn't so much unedited as only half-mixed, unless some has unearth yeat another incarnation.

Is that version with Walk Evil Talk on it, or the Rat Patrol From Fort Bragg one? Anyhoo, either way it isn't so much unedited as only half-mixed, unless some has unearth yeat another incarnation.

yeah, it's the rat patrol from fort bragg thingy. There's a fair bit of stuff I haven't heard on it but i've never been a clash bootleg kinda person

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back