joe strummer!! (2 Viewers)

No it isn't. Listen to Radio Clash & then listen to Stayin Alive by The Bee Gees, both the same songs, This equals Disco. So The Clash were a Disco band.

You neglect to mention the amount of reggae they were dabbling in aswell at the time of radio clash, All the disco bands were at that aswell were they?

I don't get Joe Strummer & The Clash. Really Joe Strummer was just a mixed up middle class youth & The Clash were more Disco then punk. !baggyyyy

I try and not comment on anyones views on this forum, as everyone is intitled to whatever the hell they want to think or say. But this is so off the mark, I feel like I have to do you a big favour and tell what you a ridicoulous statement this is. The Clash (for me anyway), are one of definitions of what punk is all about.

Do yourself a favour and get a copy of The Clash's self titled first album, after a few listens you'll hopefully realise how beautiful it is.

I try and not comment on anyones views on this forum, as everyone is intitled to whatever the hell they want to think or say. But this is so off the mark, I feel like I have to do you a big favour and tell what you a ridicoulous statement this is. The Clash (for me anyway), are one of definitions of what punk is all about.

Do yourself a favour and get a copy of The Clash's self titled first album, after a few listens you'll hopefully realise how beautiful it is.

Alrite joking aside (i'll drop the bee gees comparisions) i don't mind a couple of songs by The Clash & have owned most of their early albums at some stage & have caught them live once or twice but i still don't understand why Joe Strummer & The Clash are held in such high esteem on the punk scene. They knocked out some right old shite "This is England" & "Combat Rock" to mention two. I know not ever band is perfect but some of that disco stuff they played was bloody awful.

Yeah they did some awful stuff towards the end of their career but all credit for pushing their boundaries and trying new things- not my cup of tea but they weren't afraid to embrace emerging musical genres like the prototype hiphop and disco-ish stuff,ecpecially as it alienated a lot of their punk fanbase. It's this spirit that has people using words like "pioneer" when they refer to Joe Strummer. The fact that Joe returned to his r&b , rock and roll roots later in his solo career keeps makes the disco stuff easier to accept/forget (delete as apporopriate)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Combat Rock is a class album. I'd love to hear the original un-edited double album version, with the apparently eleven minute long version of Sean Flynn and stuff

Alrite joking aside (i'll drop the bee gees comparisions) i don't mind a couple of songs by The Clash & have owned most of their early albums at some stage & have caught them live once or twice but i still don't understand why Joe Strummer & The Clash are held in such high esteem on the punk scene. They knocked out some right old shite "This is England" & "Combat Rock" to mention two. I know not ever band is perfect but some of that disco stuff they played was bloody awful.

That's a fair point, they did produce some brutal some stuff in the end. But when they were good, they were incredible.
Also Joe Strummer, (and I know this is a well drummed out phrase), really did inject the intelligence into punk, and changed the face of it (and music) for the better. ..........All big statements here, but it's true!

Wikipedia is a good starting point to find out more about him.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Strummer

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back