Joanna Newsom played the Sugar Club in 2004 (1 Viewer)

The missus met her years ago stropping around a hotel. She apparently sat in a fireplace screeching and crying and wouldn't get out.

If I had a euro for every time i had to tell Joanna Newsom to stop moaning and get out of the fire....

it makes you wonder why you'd bother your hole buying tickets for gigs anymore. I paid for mine but I bet the drunken fucks I nearly got in a fight with after telling them to shut up numerous times didn't pay for theirs.

very small crowd at this. I don't think this whole @ the park thing is going to be a roaring success at all, which is a pity because its a really good setup.

the idea of going to see JN in a tent in a park seems a bit odd to me. still surprised that the crowd was small.

@scuffer: how small was it? a few hundred?

the idea of going to see JN in a tent in a park seems a bit odd to me. still surprised that the crowd was small.

@scuffer: how small was it? a few hundred?

agreed, very odd. It was a great gig though, despite the uncomfortable wails of laughter from those who elected to stay outside the tent and continue drinking. I think the fact that it was a small crowd made it better in the sense that the only people who bothered going are those who really like JN (and those who got free tickets and tried their best to ruin it for everyone else) and hence stood in reverent silence, hanging on her every facial contortion.

I'd say a few hundred. It was definitely less than half full. Theres a block of seating at the back of the tent and that was about a third full. Hard to put a figure on it, and hard to gauge how it was down the back (I was nearer the front), but I'd say half-full is a generous estimate.

And Bert Jansch was fantastic too. I'd imagine anyone that did go will have enjoyed it greatly.

Heading along there tomorrow night again to see Roger Daltrey. I'd expect that to be a whole different experience.

The coronas sold out the venue on Friday, pretty much everyone leaving the villagers gig on the Saturday was offered free tickets for last night. Dont think that Roger Daltry will draw a big crowd either

It seems like an odd arrangement of headline acts to me

Friday 22 July: The Coronas with special guest KT Tunstall
Saturday 23 July: Villagers with special guests Beach House and Stornoway
Sunday 24 July: Joanna Newsom with special guests Burt Jansch and James Vincent McMorrow
Tuesday 26 July: Roger Daltrey
Friday 29 July: 2 Many DJs with special guest Felix Da Housecat
Sunday 31 July: Rodrigo Y Gabriela with special guest Seasick Steve
Saturday 6 August: Bell X 1 with special guests Editors

I don't imagine that many of them would sell out a venue that size at all.

Are they still charging the same prices as they did for the old gigs back in the day when they had much bigger headliners like The Killers, Daft Punk, Radiohead, Foo Fighters et al playing there.

It seems like an odd arrangement of headline acts to me

Friday 22 July: The Coronas with special guest KT Tunstall
Saturday 23 July: Villagers with special guests Beach House and Stornoway
Sunday 24 July: Joanna Newsom with special guests Burt Jansch and James Vincent McMorrow
Tuesday 26 July: Roger Daltrey
Friday 29 July: 2 Many DJs with special guest Felix Da Housecat
Sunday 31 July: Rodrigo Y Gabriela with special guest Seasick Steve
Saturday 6 August: Bell X 1 with special guests Editors

I don't imagine that many of them would sell out a venue that size at all.

Are they still charging the same prices as they did for the old gigs back in the day when they had much bigger headliners like The Killers, Daft Punk, Radiohead, Foo Fighters et al playing there.

It was around 40 quid for both JM and RD gigs. I can't recall how much gigs there were in the past (I've attended Radiohead and Morrissey there).

The lineup seems a little thrown together alright. It looks like a handful of acts were touring on the non-festival circuit and were put on the @ the park bill. The rest looks like they were added to fill out a week of gigs. Its a shame really. JN mentioned last night that it was the first night of a new tour shes starting (the set list was altered slightly from her Grand Canal gig). I reckon shes in the minority. Almost no one else are doing their own gigs at the moment cos of poxy festivals. Last night would have been much better in the Grand Canal or even the Olympia. I'm not complaining too much mind, I thought it was great last night, and Marlay Park is a 5 minute drive from my gaff. I was hope 15 minutes after she left the stage. I reckon every gig ever should be held there.

I was a tad weirded out by the emptiness of strangeness of the setting considering every other Joanna Newsom gig I've been to had been a seated, theatre vibe but when I got a bit clsoer for the second half I really got into it. Way better set list than in Grand Canal Theatre, she played pretty much all the songs I wanted to heard with the exception of Only Skin, which I wasn't really expecting anyway. She's just fucking brilliant and has admirable posture when playing the piano.

She's just fucking brilliant and has admirable posture when playing the piano.

Damn it now, wish I'd gone. I let the tent talk me out of it.

I love the way she sits and plays the piano on Inflammatory Writ - real honky tonk. Was that on the list?

What about On A Good Day, Baby Birch[/I] and Clam Crab Cockle Cowrie? - the three I was mildly crestfallen not to hear at the Grand Canal show.

Edit: Sorry, I hate when people ask what songs were played at gigs.

Damn it now, wish I'd gone. I let the tent talk me out of it.

I love the way she sits and plays the piano on Inflammatory Writ - real honky tonk. Was that on the list?

What about On A Good Day, Baby Birch[/I] and Clam Crab Cockle Cowrie? - the three I was mildly crestfallen not to hear at the Grand Canal show.

Edit: Sorry, I hate when people ask what songs were played at gigs.

She played Inflammatory Writ and Baby Birch was the encore.
Glorious it was too.

She played Bridges and Balloons and Inflammatory Writ from Milk Eyed Mender*
She played Emily and Cosmia from Ys
She played Have One On Me, Baby Birch (as the encore), Soft As Chalk, Good Intentions Paving Company and In California from Have One On Me

That seems pretty short but most of those songs are 6 minutes plus. Soft As Chalk is one of my favourite songs and it has all that delicious honky tonk piano playing and great interaction with Neal Morgan the drummer.

*I Freudian slippily typed Milk Eyed Member there. I'd never even noticed that before.

2004calendarSmall.gif

sugarclub.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back