Jerks in Work Vol 2 (2 Viewers)

KokaneeCowgirl

Just need some advice on this scenario...
It's bonus/pay review time in our company. Last year I had a great bonus and a pretty good pay rise.

Just got pulled in this morning to be told the news. Firstly, I was being told by someone I don't work for or with (generally my director would tell me) and she's someone I don't really get on with anyway (she's a director tho!) so to begin with I was uncomfortable.

So she tells me I'm getting a pay rise of 5% which equals less than €2k. Last year I got more than twice that. Fair enough, only over the course of the last year my workload has increased substantially and I have kept up with it (to the point of not taking lunch breaks so I can finish things --- admittedly this is my own prerogative). I explain this to her and she shrugs and says that's the same increase everyone in my position within the company is getting. I explain that's fine but I do have a different job spec to them and I have more work than they do. She says she will take it up with HR. (Which I'm not sure she will because we don't get on very well. Also, I'm not sure she'll fight very hard for me). I was tempted to ask what the directors were getting as I know they sure as hell aren't getting 5%. But I resisted the urge to lose the rag (wasn't easy).

Anyway I guess I just wanted to rant. I feel so upset because I have given these tools about as much as an employee can give and I have made them look damn good whilst doing it. Money aside, I feel disrespected.

Argh.

tell them you've had a job offer with more pay and you'll stay if they match it,
if you do as much work as you say, they won't want to lose you. maybe a bit risky tho...

tell them you've had a job offer with more pay and you'll stay if they match it,
if you do as much work as you say, they won't want to lose you. maybe a bit risky tho...

I've considered that but I don't want to be dishonest (as it could backfire). If they won't offer me more then I will defo feck off because I know I can do better elsewhere. I just feel kinda...insulted ya know?

KC, from my experience, when these things happen one does very definitely tend to feel very insulted. Has happened me a couple of times. However, I don't think these things are ever personal (even though its impossible not to take them that way). That doesn't make it any better I know, but the point I'm getting at is, whatever you decide to do, don't act rashly. I've come out of pay reviews in the past and was doing up my CV 20 minutes later. But when the seas calmed I figured that I'd stay put and just not work as hard or whatever.

Just don't make a decision until you have a clear head, thats all.

I had a salary review on Friday, the first I've had since the dot-com bust (that was 2001, history fans). The company I work for made a loss last year, so the few quid extra I get won't keep me up with inflation.

You shouldn't expect respect in the private sector.

pay.. .rise... ?

5% is grand, lucky you for getting more last year, but the raise you got is hardly an insult. Fair enough you have a problem with yr wan, but a raise is a raise. Some people go years without seeing one

I totally understand that, and I know I'm lucky to have a raise at all. However, I also know the figures and the profits we made, and I also know the types of bonuses my bosses get (along the lines of three times their salaries) so that may explain a bit more about my feelings in this situation.

Ive been working for my company for about a year and a half now. My work load is massive and i often end up working 10 or 12 hr days. I have no life outside the office at all during the week.
Handed in my notice a few weeks ago as i couldnt put up with the lack of a life anymore but i was assured that i would still recieve my March bonus as i had worked myself to the bone for them.
Bouns was handed out last week, i got the grand sum of.....300 euros!! Most others in my position who have been doing far less work got over 2k
All i can say is im glad im leaving....bastards!

and I also know the types of bonuses my bosses get

yeah but they're soulless materialistic bastards who are dead inside, and you're better then that, right? right?

that's what I tell myself... that's probably my boss has two houses and I have a hole in my left runner... but at least I'm keeping it real, right? right? *sob*

Imagine the bad karma in telling someone that there's not enough money in the kitty for a bonus when you're taking a massive bonus yourself. At least you can sleep at night.

If you feel you deserve more, then take a look around. No harm in sending around your CV and see what turns up. Even doing that will make you feel a whole bunch better. The worst thing about this kind of thing is the feeling that you have no control.

Going%20Postal.jpg

these things happen in cycles.

they probably looked at what you got last year and said if we give her two good performances in a row it will warrant a promotion. it will probably be your turn next year again to get a good bonus and someone elses turn to get the mediocre one.

Just need some advice on this scenario...
It's bonus/pay review time in our company. Last year I had a great bonus and a pretty good pay rise.

Just got pulled in this morning to be told the news. Firstly, I was being told by someone I don't work for or with (generally my director would tell me) and she's someone I don't really get on with anyway (she's a director tho!) so to begin with I was uncomfortable.

So she tells me I'm getting a pay rise of 5% which equals less than €2k. Last year I got more than twice that. Fair enough, only over the course of the last year my workload has increased substantially and I have kept up with it (to the point of not taking lunch breaks so I can finish things --- admittedly this is my own prerogative). I explain this to her and she shrugs and says that's the same increase everyone in my position within the company is getting. I explain that's fine but I do have a different job spec to them and I have more work than they do. She says she will take it up with HR. (Which I'm not sure she will because we don't get on very well. Also, I'm not sure she'll fight very hard for me). I was tempted to ask what the directors were getting as I know they sure as hell aren't getting 5%. But I resisted the urge to lose the rag (wasn't easy).

Anyway I guess I just wanted to rant. I feel so upset because I have given these tools about as much as an employee can give and I have made them look damn good whilst doing it. Money aside, I feel disrespected.

Argh.

In my company my team did significantly over our targets last year .We got a 2% increase per inflation . I too felt disrespected but I will reiterate what the others are saying, don't act now, sit on it and have a think.
Do you feel disrespected in other ways in work? Sometimes if an employee feels they are being treated like a donkey it's at pay review time it really hits you and you react .Think about your working year and whether or not you actually enjoy working there .Don't just think about the pay review .

In my company my team did significantly over our targets last year .We got a 2% increase per inflation . I too felt disrespected but I will reiterate what the others are saying, don't act now, sit on it and have a think.
Do you feel disrespected in other ways in work? Sometimes if an employee feels they are being treated like a donkey it's at pay review time it really hits you and you react .Think about your working year and whether or not you actually enjoy working there .Don't just think about the pay review .

Em well here's an update - I just resigned. The woman who gave me my pay rise/bonus review this morning tore me a new hole a couple of hours ago because she's going to a conference and instead of her getting her usual hotel room she's been booked into a luxury apartment. GOD FORBID! She screamed and shouted at me in front my colleagues and threw what amounts to a tantrum.

Anyway it was the icing on the cake. Just handed in my notice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back