Jens Lekman Irish Tour (2 Viewers)

Anybody go to this? Went to the Roisin on Saturday night. Thought it was a really good set - concentrated on the more upbeat stuff, which really suited the full band. Most of the set from the last album, but included Black Cab, Maple Leaves and You Are The Light too. Was tempted to go again last night, but decided against it.

Anybody go to this? Went to the Roisin on Saturday night. Thought it was a really good set - concentrated on the more upbeat stuff, which really suited the full band. Most of the set from the last album, but included Black Cab, Maple Leaves and You Are The Light too. Was tempted to go again last night, but decided against it.

I went but was kinda disappointed. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood but it seemed so 'staged'. Maybe it was because it was the last gig of the tour but it seemed lifeless to me. I much preferred the gig last autumn where it seemed genuine and earnest.

Plus, I hate the village. Never been there before for a gig -- it's awful. Granted the staff working venues might not like the music all the time but does that mean they need to slam bottles and make as much noise as possible?

I went last night it was excellent, I think it might be impossible to not enjoy one of his gigs. I brought my mam along and she had a deadly time, I may have created a monster, she wanted to find him and then ask if he wanted us to bring him for a walk, she thought he'd really like to Dublin mountains. She wanted to be his friend and wanted me to be more than his friend, which I wouldn't say no to.

I went but was kinda disappointed. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood but it seemed so 'staged'. Maybe it was because it was the last gig of the tour but it seemed lifeless to me. I much preferred the gig last autumn where it seemed genuine and earnest.

Plus, I hate the village. Never been there before for a gig -- it's awful. Granted the staff working venues might not like the music all the time but does that mean they need to slam bottles and make as much noise as possible?

I thought the exact same. The last gig had far more intimacy about it. There was a real warm vibe off the crowd and he seemed to feed off it. Last nights was, as you say, really staged and impersonal.

He did himself no favours by setting the bar so high last time. Plus the Village doesn't lend itself well to gigs of that sort.

The performance can't really be faulted I guess, and I'm sure anyone that went along that wasn't there in December would have enjoyed it. It just lacked that something thats hard to place, but something significant all the same.

I thought the best song all night was the last one that he did by himself. It was the closest he got to reproducing what he did in December. Still a bit off that though.

I thought the exact same. The last gig had far more intimacy about it. There was a real warm vibe off the crowd and he seemed to feed off it. Last nights was, as you say, really staged and impersonal.

He did himself no favours by setting the bar so high last time. Plus the Village doesn't lend itself well to gigs of that sort.

The performance can't really be faulted I guess, and I'm sure anyone that went along that wasn't there in December would have enjoyed it. It just lacked that something thats hard to place, but something significant all the same.

I thought the best song all night was the last one that he did by himself. It was the closest he got to reproducing what he did in December. Still a bit off that though.

Yeah, I don't think anything would beat last year's version of Summer's Night on Hammer Hill. I was just cranky last night. It was a good show but my expectations were just too high.

Yeah the December gig was far better, but the two were entirely different. A man alone with his guitar is going to be a completely different show than when hes got a full band with him. Last nights gig wasn't as intimate as the Whelan's gig but it was never going to be. I also thought the Whelan's gig was a tad embarrassing everyone was completely in love with guy, think it got a bit much at times.

Yeah the December gig was far better, but the two were entirely different. A man alone with his guitar is going to be a completely different show than when hes got a full band with him. Last nights gig wasn't as intimate as the Whelan's gig but it was never going to be. I also thought the Whelan's gig was a tad embarrassing everyone was completely in love with guy, think it got a bit much at times.

Impersonal is the word I'd use. Whereas last time it seemed natural and off the cuff. Last night seemed staged right down to them all having the key around their neck. I know it's only a show and they figure out what works but I felt cheated. Like a guy with a great pick up line that he uses in every city he goes. Even the "Please don't put this on you tube -- I want this to be just between us" Yeah, us and every other city on the tour. Again, I am being cranky and expecting too much. They sounded great.

That's what most of the people I was with said. There was an intangible quality to the last gig he played here that I don't think he would ever be able to reproduce. Last night was by no means bad, but it was basically Jens playing his songs with a good band backing him up. It just lacked whatever made the previous gig so special.

Did yous really think last nights gig would live up to the December one? I thought it was great to see that other side of him, playing his more upbeat songs, maybe it was just where I was standing but the atmosphere was great, no noise from the bar. I'd say Decembers show was just as staged as last nights, they did wear matching outfits and had the same choreographed dances

I went last night it was excellent, I think it might be impossible to not enjoy one of his gigs. I brought my mam along and she had a deadly time, I may have created a monster, she wanted to find him and then ask if he wanted us to bring him for a walk, she thought he'd really like to Dublin mountains. She wanted to be his friend and wanted me to be more than his friend, which I wouldn't say no to.

Date My Mom

Did yous really think last nights gig would live up to the December one?

I actually did. I thought the full band thing would add something extra to it. And it did, but I guess the love-in that was december's gig was too hard an act to follow.

I don't think these are bad complaints. The gig was good. It just wasn't as good. Thats all. I think some of us said at the time that we'd probably never see him like that again. I think in December the whole christmassy atmosphere added to things as well.

I thought it was alright. A pity it was in such a bad venue.
I don't think a lot of his songs come across that well without the full band, so I was glad to hear them in all their glory.
Nothing 'magical' about it, maybe unlike the last gig, but I suppose it was a Sunday and it was their last night of a long tour, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back