Jaysus cycling! (10 Viewers)

The sad thing about shit drivers is generally, they're vanishingly few.

I'm not saying that all drivers don't fuck up here and there, and do silly things. We do. But there's only a very small number of people that consistently drive like cunts. This is the thing about living in a little village, you do know everyone (like it or not). And there's exactly one cunt, I know him, I know where he works, I know when he drives to work and leaves, even just by listening, because no one else drives like a cunt, all the time.

But we see them, and they dominate our mind, because they almost kill us. They seem more in number because of their behaviour. I'd be willing to bet that @magicbastarder 's overtake lad consistently drives like a cunt. On the M50 there's really only one cunt, who's ragging around the place, per trip. Maybe two. But the numbers are skewed because of how visible they are.

And the implication of this is, it's easy to get away with driving like a cunt consistently.

For example, I've told the lad in the village he drives like a cunt. I've considered telling him if he takes out my kids with stupid Audi, I'll happily kill him, but that might be perceived as being a bit aggressive. Everyone knows these dudes, and no one can do anything about it.
yes, but...
it's a different scale of shitness entirely, but if you stop at a red light in dublin, and there's an advance stop box for cyclists, 50% of drivers, given the opportunity will have driven past *their* stop line to sit partially or wholly in the box for cyclists. or 30% of drivers who given the opportunity will run a red a couple of seconds after it's gone red.
there's just a general loucheness with irish drivers and how to drive, that's worsened in the last few years.

I always wonder about the advance stop box people - like the sensor is under where they are supposed to be, does is mean they spend longer at the lights because they haven't stopped on the sensor coil

actually in one case loads of people were trapped a light in galway here, and eventually the guy about two cars back asked the cycle box person to reverse back onto the sensor because it couldn't see anything when our filter lane was due. It worked, but it was for a filter.
In that case, being on it was necessary as the filter kept ignoring the whole row of cars on each 'rotation' of the lights.

actually in one case loads of people were trapped a light in galway here, and eventually the guy about two cars back asked the cycle box person to reverse back onto the sensor because it couldn't see anything when our filter lane was due. It worked, but it was for a filter.
In that case, being on it was necessary as the filter kept ignoring the whole row of cars on each 'rotation' of the lights.
There’s a part of the N4 where the bike/bus lane is fed onto the exit ramp and back onto the main road. There’s a set of lights at the top of the ramp and they will never change unless a car sits on the sensor box. Which means you have to take your life in your hands and break the red light if you’re trying to continue along as a cyclist.

These lads are doing a Palestine charity cycle round the country. Been following them, seeing if I can join for a bit if I can

speaking of bike weight, there's a thread on boards posted by a chap who wants to take two heavy e-bikes on holidays with him and his partner, but looks like he's got zero options to mount them on a car.
his bikes are extremely heavy though, 34kg each. my wife's e-bike, which i consider a bit of a bruiser, is 25kg.

but that's one of the issues with those e-bikes - they're so much harder to lug around.

I'm probably repeating the first answer on the thread but is the battery removable on them?

He probably needs to look at taking a train and leaving the car where it is :p

just looking at the bikes he has. those stupid fat tyre ones. they sound like a swarm of bees and you probably lose a shitload of power to rolling resistance.

There’s a part of the N4 where the bike/bus lane is fed onto the exit ramp and back onto the main road. There’s a set of lights at the top of the ramp and they will never change unless a car sits on the sensor box. Which means you have to take your life in your hands and break the red light if you’re trying to continue along as a cyclist.

So what I was told was, you have to position your bicycle right over one of the cuts on the left or right, where the wire actually is, for it to detect the frame. This works about 90% of the time for me but I haven’t been around town here on my bike in months because drivers have got progressively shittier (they used to be better up here, then the pandemic happened) and I don’t feel safe at all.

This is the thing about living in a little village, you do know everyone (like it or not). And there's exactly one cunt, I know him
Yes yes and yes again

Village life really brings it home to you - bad people exist, and if what they're doing isn't illegal there's pretty much nothing you can do to stop them being bad.

out for a lunchtime spin today, someone decided to overtake me approaching a blind bend, and then had to slam on as a car came around the bend.
i think they got a bit rattled, because they slowed so much the car behind *them* overtook them, and they eventually overtook me - L plates in the car, and the chap in the passenger seat gave me a sheepish wave as they passed. i wonder if he told the driver it was safe to overtake..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back