Jaysus cycling! (7 Viewers)

i see strava now calculates your greatest hits;

View attachment 18753

(turns out what i thought was my 115km ride was a 111km ride).

but those numbers will flatter; that 10k in fifteen and a half minutes was on a stretch which is a very gentle downhill but probably a good tailwind.
I look at some of mine and think 'who was that guy' - but a lot of mine are actually from the same run - I'd been training on the full panniered out bike for the spanish trip (which isn't on strava but did have 120km ride in it) with mountains and what not, then I came home a week later and took the road bike on the flat to work with tailwind on a lovely day and set most of my lifetime speed records.
Your times are still a lot faster than mine though :)

1716887642043.png

are you fully paid up on strava? just curious if that info is given to free users too.
It’s not available in the free version. I can see my “bronze” awards for the first three items on your list but need to pay to see the rest. I think they used to be all there though. In any case, all the values look to be wrong - my third longest ride is only 25km but given that I used to be doing 40km+ regularly and I’ve cycled to and from Galway twice, that seems wrong.

might be worth trying it - several years ago for whatever reason, i knew some of my rides had been missed; i hit 'Refresh stats' under the main stats table on my profile, and they were there when i checked again a few minutes later. i think it was just a database glitch, my rides had uploaded but had not been included in overall stat calculations.

I’m not too worried. I had re-downloaded the app to check it in response to your question but I’m weaning myself off worrying about distances, speeds, etc. I check my walking distance once a week to make sure I’m catching up on a lazy work week at the weekend and that’s about it.

I like it for my overall distance - it mostly is telling me that I'm consistent from may-october and totally fairweather over winter. I've been slowly buying up winter cycling gear this year to see if I can run into november.
The odd time I do see if I can go extra fast on a bit if i'm in the mood.

I look at some of mine and think 'who was that guy' - but a lot of mine are actually from the same run - I'd been training on the full panniered out bike for the spanish trip (which isn't on strava but did have 120km ride in it) with mountains and what not, then I came home a week later and took the road bike on the flat to work with tailwind on a lovely day and set most of my lifetime speed records.
Your times are still a lot faster than mine though :)

View attachment 18755

jaysus - and here's me happy I had worked a spin out to bull island bridge and back from marino in 30-40 mins into my working from home day routine.

my usual lunchtime spin is to head for the airport, there's a loop that passes the boot in, where you've 5 or 6km of road that's usually extremely quiet.
unfortunately, getting there involves cycling on the road at the side of the runway; i mentioned a dangerous overtake there last week; mentioned it on boards too, and a lad there had written to Fingal CoCo about that road. turns out the roads around the airport - outside the perimeter fence - are owned by DAA. Fingal had been in negotiations to take them over.

The sad thing about shit drivers is generally, they're vanishingly few.

I'm not saying that all drivers don't fuck up here and there, and do silly things. We do. But there's only a very small number of people that consistently drive like cunts. This is the thing about living in a little village, you do know everyone (like it or not). And there's exactly one cunt, I know him, I know where he works, I know when he drives to work and leaves, even just by listening, because no one else drives like a cunt, all the time.

But we see them, and they dominate our mind, because they almost kill us. They seem more in number because of their behaviour. I'd be willing to bet that @magicbastarder 's overtake lad consistently drives like a cunt. On the M50 there's really only one cunt, who's ragging around the place, per trip. Maybe two. But the numbers are skewed because of how visible they are.

And the implication of this is, it's easy to get away with driving like a cunt consistently.

For example, I've told the lad in the village he drives like a cunt. I've considered telling him if he takes out my kids with stupid Audi, I'll happily kill him, but that might be perceived as being a bit aggressive. Everyone knows these dudes, and no one can do anything about it.

I pass in the region of 2-600 cars per day depending on traffic and can confirm, it's 599 people driving like adults and 1 driving like an angry child. I was reading some cycle spam on facebook (some 'bloody cyclists' thread) and was thinking, online all those angry child drivers can converge and reassure each other that whatever fuckery they think is driving like an adult is is perfectly normal.

Rented a car in London a couple of years ago. Drove back into the city from Legoland, so along whatever that motorway is. Over the course of an hour at least a half dozen supercars, like Ferrari's and Lamborgini's etc., pissed by me at terrifying speeds, weaving in and out of lanes like demons. Was entirely mental and terrifying.

Definite increase in supercars here recently, wonder will we see similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back