Jaysus cycling! (6 Viewers)

The way home is more up hill so it's a complete rip off getting a morning headwind, missed the train by about 30 secs over it and then had to do the next 10k in more headwind to make it to work.
Not even going home tonight like.

My legs are in such poor biking shape, I can use all the extra work
Happy to hit a hill or wind so I can get the work in

But I absolutely get you

i've found some cycling calculators which are confusing me. they're showing a squaring of wind resistance with speed, but the power required to overcome that is greater.
e.g.

A net headwind of 25.01 km/h is working against you with 9.49 (N) of force, or 65.90 watts of power.
A net headwind of 50.55 km/h is working against you with 38.75 (N) of force, or 544.14 watts of power.

i.e. wind speed is doubled, newtons resisting you is quadrupled, but the power you need to put out to overcome that goes up by 8x ?

ah - it seems that because your speed has doubled, that again doubles the power output required?

i think - if you double the headwind, it quadruples the wind resistance. that's easy; the slightly more subtle bit is that if you put that to one side, you're covering ground at twice the rate so need twice the power.

anyway, i can (when fit) hold a steady 30km/h without fuss, on the flat. the fastest i've ever gone on the flat was 61km/h; and by the time i came to a stop, if you'd asked me my name i'd have needed a minute or two to be able to say it - and that was with a 40km/h tailwind, possibly the windiest day i've ever cycled in, or close to it.

Know anything about weight? My bike is often 20kg or more and it's great craic going down hill like that.
It's 13 in it's natural state - I know nothing of the physics other than it feels like it's an advantage downhill.

I don't mind the hills and the wind, just today was a busy work day and I essentially didn't need to be lose 15 mins and the power of my knees

Again, I'm just getting fit again after a long spell off the bike, but on a reasonably flat cycle if it's not too windy, several hours at 30 was doable for me. I once did 115km at an average of 30.5, I think the fastest I've managed was 50km at about 33km/h.
That's not counting 'one way' cycles where I don't end up back where I started.

Know anything about weight? My bike is often 20kg or more and it's great craic going down hill like that.
It's 13 in it's natural state - I know nothing of the physics other than it feels like it's an advantage downhill.

I don't mind the hills and the wind, just today was a busy work day and I essentially didn't need to be lose 15 mins and the power of my knees
I suspect a heavier bike in one sense lowers the centre of gravity a bit so might make it more stable? And just as cycling a heavier weight uphill needs a greater input of energy, going downhill on it is a greater release of energy?

i saw similar many years ago - 2001 maybe, a chap i know was taking part in the Ras; he didn't finish it (his kneecap became dislodged); but we went to the crit in the phoenix park. there was a merit prize offered at the awards ceremony; for someone who had done something worthy of a prize but which didn't fall into the usual categories. the winner that year was a young lad who had a heavy fall 20km before the end of a stage, hopped back on the bike, and completed the stage. and then went to the race medic. both collarbones broken.

Oh did yes see this? The stuff of legend

Katie-George is one of the bravest and finest athletes we have in this country. I've followed her career for a good few years and am frequently amazed at how driven she is. I didn't realise Linda Kelly got injured. I'd see her cycling around the roads over this way from time to time. But McCrystal is a machine (just like her brother), and she and Dunleavy have ridden together for so many years I'm sure it was seamless for her to slot back in. I'm amazed this isn't a bigger news story. Everyone needs to know about it.

i saw similar many years ago - 2001 maybe, a chap i know was taking part in the Ras; he didn't finish it (his kneecap became dislodged); but we went to the crit in the phoenix park. there was a merit prize offered at the awards ceremony; for someone who had done something worthy of a prize but which didn't fall into the usual categories. the winner that year was a young lad who had a heavy fall 20km before the end of a stage, hopped back on the bike, and completed the stage. and then went to the race medic. both collarbones broken.
Tyler Hamilton shur. And he was clean, I swear.

I took the front basket off my fixed gear yesterday. Instant and easy 10% increase in speed and agility.

Probably sell the basket if anyone is interested in one. the lad below but in black.

that's a pity, i'd have thought that their niche was big enough and them well established enough to keep going.

Dawes discontinued the galaxy, which in my head is the defintive Dawes Swiss army knife type bike a few years back and I suppose the market is kinda changed that much. Carbon road bikes, retro commuters, fat tire town bikes and all the mid distance Is moving to ebikes.

just had a quick google of dawes:

"Between 1978 and 2001 the company was sold at least five times, passing through the hands of various venture capital and leisure companies. Resultantly, by the mid-1980s, the firm had 50 staff at its dilapidated Tysley factory. After being bought by ATAG of the Netherlands in 1990, the factory was closed down and production moved to Asia, while the head office moved to Castle Bromwich. In this guise it was bought by Midlands-based investment house Grove Industries in 1998 and sold to Tandem Group Plc in 2001."

basically Dawes had just become a name to attach to any bike to help it sell. i bought a dawes bike secondhand recently, it was probably made by some unnamed factory and different brand names slapped on it depending on who was paying that week.

just had a quick google of dawes:

"Between 1978 and 2001 the company was sold at least five times, passing through the hands of various venture capital and leisure companies. Resultantly, by the mid-1980s, the firm had 50 staff at its dilapidated Tysley factory. After being bought by ATAG of the Netherlands in 1990, the factory was closed down and production moved to Asia, while the head office moved to Castle Bromwich. In this guise it was bought by Midlands-based investment house Grove Industries in 1998 and sold to Tandem Group Plc in 2001."

basically Dawes had just become a name to attach to any bike to help it sell. i bought a dawes bike secondhand recently, it was probably made by some unnamed factory and different brand names slapped on it depending on who was paying that week.
Yeah- the galaxy was one that evolved through the endless company overhauls- mine isn't wildly different from the 70s one more than geometry refinements - in my head is a product that'd sell indefinitely but I'm clearly wrong about that

i see strava now calculates your greatest hits;

1716650533819.png

(turns out what i thought was my 115km ride was a 111km ride).

but those numbers will flatter; that 10k in fifteen and a half minutes was on a stretch which is a very gentle downhill but probably a good tailwind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back