Jaysus cycling! (9 Viewers)

I'm mildly considering getting a road bike again. I've a notion i'd like to attempt a local TT for the craic sometime next summer. It'll be 100% between 2 and 300eu off adverts type operation. I am currently not even in the outer orbit of that speed right now, but that's kinda the point.
you'd probably get a decent enough ten or fifteen year old aluminium framed bike; what will help drive the price down is the groupset, which won't have gearing as low as is popular these days - but that won't be much of an issue for you if you're doing a TT, you won't need gears to climb steep hills.

a few years ago - actually, in march 2020, i sold a bike to a virologist of all people, which would have been fine, for €250.

I want to get this so so bad

But I don't even know if a carbon fibre bike could stand up to the punishment of a fairly rough 100km mountain trail race

you'd probably get a decent enough ten or fifteen year old aluminium framed bike; what will help drive the price down is the groupset, which won't have gearing as low as is popular these days - but that won't be much of an issue for you if you're doing a TT, you won't need gears to climb steep hills.

a few years ago - actually, in march 2020, i sold a bike to a virologist of all people, which would have been fine, for €250.
I'd a wee scope around adverts and there's plenty of nice enough bikes in that range. A local TT here wouldn't have time to get to an actual hill. Not going to spend money till after the new year anywhoooo

Going to Canada next April for a 100km mountain trail race

Have done approximately zero of this, so need to put in major practice

View attachment 17769

View attachment 17770
I probably did close to 100km off road on my Dawes in portugal. It was dry though. It wasn't exactly competition speeds but it was a lot of fun. Gravel runs seem to be all the rage now if that's a training option.

I probably did close to 100km off road on my Dawes in portugal. It was dry though. It wasn't exactly competition speeds but it was a lot of fun. Gravel runs seem to be all the rage now if that's a training option.
They do indeed
I think my Surly will probably be fine
But there's a lot of uphill and who doesn't like new bikes?

But there's a lot of uphill and who doesn't like new bikes?

The eco warrior/centrist dad or whatever the latest one is that i am will only tolerate a 2nd hand bike for project - that said some really nice bikes have been bubbling up in the budget range, even though i'm not buying for a few months. decided i'm gonna train* on my current bike till at least after xmas.

*cycle to work slightly faster sometimes

I just arrived at this thing:

A rather rarified bike show. There's some stunningly fancy stuff here. Doors open at 17:00.

I'd never splash out and buy a ticket, but now I'm getting paid to be here.

I just arrived at this thing:

A rather rarified bike show. There's some stunningly fancy stuff here. Doors open at 17:00.

I'd never splash out and buy a ticket, but now I'm getting paid to be here.
thats the fanciest cycling magazine there is. Something like 14 pounds sterling per edition

from one of the lads on the boards.ie cycling forum:

"Got rear ended in blessington just on the naas road roundabout. I was in the roundabout, car came on behind me, accelerated right through the back of me, took a 5m trip on the hood then got pushed along the ground for another bit. Back is in a hoop this eve, hopefully just bruised and twisted. My cervelo is OK i think tho id need to wash it to inspect it properly, destroyed the bar tape and skewer on the left but seems to have been pushed more than slammed. Castelli winter bib shorts, glove and my rapha gortex jacket are destroyed. Guy said "(he) just wasn't looking". I'd lights on and an orange jacket, it was midday.

Not sure if wanna keep cycling as i sit here this evening thinking im so lucky that wasnt so much worse, fed up with sh*t drivers. I broke my neck, shoulder and chest in 2014 by another inattentive driver. These days every spin seems to have a near miss. Been cycling most of my 42 years and honestly feel the roads have never been more dangerous."

I had a shouting match with a driver this morning. Ended up with him parked pretty much in the middle of drumcondra rd with us roaring at one another through his window. I'm not a confrontational person at all (to be honest, my traditional psycho-physical response to this sort of thing would be 'flight' rather than 'fight' mode. But he was so aggressive towards me for what was (even if I was in the wrong) a very minor thing I exploded, fucked the bike on the ground and went over to confront him.

His reaction was so overboard that regardless of what the dispute was, he was in the wrong and being dangerous. The prick wasn't even indicating ... but...

I wanted to sense check with the cycle-bros in thumped on the point of dispute...

So a single lane t-junction, onto a multi lane rd (bus lane and car lane on each side). So cars turning right have to effectively drive straight to a marked turning point half way across, and then wait to get into their lane. (ormonde rd onto drumcondra road opposite st patricks college)

Bikes have to make across to the bike lane on far side.

I cross this junction a couple of times a week, turning right, my approach has been

1. Move to center of t-junction- signaling if there's cars there already.
2. as it's virtually impossible to cross in one go, cross to central reservation (painted), well above the marked crossing point for cars
3. wait until I can wheel across to the bike lane on the other side.

Yer mans contention was that by doing 1. I was blocking him (which was impossible unless he wanted to turn into oncoming traffic).

Is what I'm doing correct, incorrect, or a grey area.

here? were you on the hatched section just the other side of the moped? or were you turning right off drumcondra road onto ormonde road?

I would usually confront overreactions with more of MOAR. because if that's the silly game a prick wants to play, that's the the silly prize the prick gets to win. I shan't be out-pricked.

Also I have a massive thing about people not indicating. It's a thing here, drives me mad.

here? were you on the hatched section just the other side of the moped?

ah technology.
I would have been on the white line, probably not too the pavement edge, before cycling across to white hatched area behind the moped.
Abuse started before I we/moved across.
he ended up blocking turning area and yellow box, half up on the edge of the white hatched area, hurling abuse at me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back