Jaysus cycling! (7 Viewers)

Any of y'all got a Cycling mag sub?

Nah i'm not a magazine person really. It is interesting though i'll probably read more about it. I've been concentrating more on speed in cycling this last while, not with a view to racing, but more to solidifying my commute at about 50 mins

On further reflection I haven't offset that with price of the bike and bike bits etc which will probably strip a euro or something off it. More as it happens.

Ok a bit of patching-in stuff and all the rest but kinda surprised by the outcome.

The bike (the collective bike, i have two plus a pile of gear that i wouldn't own otherwise) is hitting around 18c per km TCO.
The car is in around 23c per km TCO.
The bike TCO will fall faster - like every 14 days I commute it'll drop by 1c.

So really the cycle to work is about 2 eu saving a day if I ignore the health and sanity bonuses.

lessee - my 'good' bike - the carbon one - cost me a shade over 2k i think. i've done probably 12k km on it, which is near as makes no odds to your figure (and that's not even taking replacment chains/tyres/clothes etc. into consideration)

i could smell my 1st-3rd year metalwork class while watching this

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The bike shop guy next door recently got a pedalled tricycle in stock. Fascinating looking thing.
Another neighbour just had a heart attack and was thinking of ways to stay active but still do practical things like shopping. The tricycle seemed ideal at first glance but I gave it a hard no. Thanks for the video, it proves my point.

In the small experience i've had with 3 wheelers the bearings absolutely hate the non vertical loads across the back end and they eat them pretty quicky.
I've not watched that guy before but I like that hes messing about making stuff in any case.
We made a fair few go carts like that when we were kids. I hat better access to a welder when i was 11 than i do now.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

was he the lad that was talking about brambles being carnivorous plants?
I think he was saying that they have hooked thorns that seem to be designed to entangle sheep, which die and rot into the soil, providing nutrients to the plant.

I think it was him, he's interesting.

New bike rental thing launched in Navan last week. People are having a hard time getting their heads around it. It's a scheme where you just leave the bike. Locals are like "you should be made put it back at a station!!" Yea like I'm going to cycle home but before I enter the house I just have to leave the bike back to where I got it?!?
I think people are just annoyed that the bikes are being left lying around all over the place instead of standing up on their stands out of the way. However I reckon people are just kicking them over. Because we can't have nice things.

New bike rental thing launched in Navan last week. People are having a hard time getting their heads around it. It's a scheme where you just leave the bike. Locals are like "you should be made put it back at a station!!" Yea like I'm going to cycle home but before I enter the house I just have to leave the bike back to where I got it?!?
I think people are just annoyed that the bikes are being left lying around all over the place instead of standing up on their stands out of the way. However I reckon people are just kicking them over. Because we can't have nice things.
they have a scheme like that here in Kilkenny, run by Bolt. It works very well, probably because you either live in town or you live in the countryside, and everyone in town can use them. The kids here don't have the same cut of a scrote about them that they had in Dublin, so I haven't seen anything kicked over yet.

that was one of the issues with bleeper bikes in dublin - other companies had approached the council about how to launch a scheme, and bleeper decided to launch without consulting them.
one of the issues was whether bleeper bikes would be taking up bike rack space when not in use - the council were (rightly, IMHO) a little pissed off that bleeper were going to use public infrastructure for private gain, and actually block access to that public infrastructure for people who wanted to use it.

that was one of the issues with bleeper bikes in dublin - other companies had approached the council about how to launch a scheme, and bleeper decided to launch without consulting them.
one of the issues was whether bleeper bikes would be taking up bike rack space when not in use - the council were (rightly, IMHO) a little pissed off that bleeper were going to use public infrastructure for private gain, and actually block access to that public infrastructure for people who wanted to use it.
I thought this very thing today. The rental bikes are taking up bike racks. That said, this is an extremely bike unfriendly town and the racks are hardly used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back