Jaysus cycling! (8 Viewers)

Nearly hit a grown man who decided to take a sharp left turn on the footpath and cycled across the pedestrian crossing without stopping.

Pedestrian crossing, lads. For pedestrians. The clue is in the name. Pedestrian.

And when I say “nearly hit” I mean he nearly crashed into the side of my car. Because I didn’t stop at the pedestrian crossing, because there were no pedestrians approaching the pedestrian crossing.

Nearly hit a grown man who decided to take a sharp left turn on the footpath and cycled across the pedestrian crossing without stopping.

Pedestrian crossing, lads. For pedestrians. The clue is in the name. Pedestrian.

I used to do that manoeuvre all the time. Especially at big roundabouts. It seems safer to me, if you're paying attention.

Thing is if he’d actually paused and checked it was safe to cross - like pedestrians do - I’d have seen him and stopped. Maybe. STILL NOT A PEDESTRIAN.

Thing is if he’d actually paused and checked it was safe to cross - like pedestrians do - I’d have seen him and stopped. Maybe. STILL NOT A PEDESTRIAN.
I swing the leg over so I'm side-saddle and scoot along the crossing with one leg on the ground, one on the bike.
Technically a pedestrian

I hope you have good insurance :)

the AA made a video about how long it takes to get through dublin at rush hour; from their offices on or near south william street to whitehall church. the differences between the modes of transport were even more pronounced than i'd have expected:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

motorbike: 19m30s
e-bike: 20m30s
runner: 29m
bus: 34m
car: 45m (and the driver stated he thought the traffic was very light)
walking: 55m.

That runner is five minute quicker in the morning on a run into town from Whitehall

I could definitely do that bike ride faster than that e-bike. But I am not the world's greatest respecter of traffic lights

but would you be a bit sweaty after?
i could beat that time too, but would need a shower. it's uphill all the way from the tolka to the church.

but would you be a bit sweaty after?
i could beat that time too, but would need a shower. it's uphill all the way from the tolka to the church.
If I was biking, a change of t-shirt is good enough in the summer
I wear the absolute minimum of layers while biking,

Bike in in a tee or shirtless - like who cares?
Smear some deodorant on after, pull on a clean tee. Job done.

The medical context doesn’t exclude the health benefits of cycling though. In fact, the general consensus would be that cycling is fucking great (a technical term). But in terms of landscapes, the reality is that cycling is largely done on roads shared with large, powerful machines which have a tendency to be driven by careless people. And let’s face it, accidents happen on your own - my only two bad spills were both completely solo endeavours and I got a head injury out of one of them. Guess what I wasn’t wearing because I was only spinning around the corner in a quiet estate?

However, I do agree that putting the onus on cyclists to “be safer” is wrong though, I’ve said here before that as a society we need to hold drivers far more culpable for their actions than we do. And in terms of the thing most people say to me when I say I cycle, it’s not that they hope I wear a helmet but that they could never cycle in Dublin, it’s too scary and dangerous. To me, that’s on cars, driver behaviour, and city planning - not on cyclists not being safe enough as a group.
more of the stuff i was referring to; irish physicians who see one specific part of the puzzle calling for helmets to be made mandatory.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

the boards evil was on today. poor bastards had a rough start weather wise, i think seven people started it.
it's what happened when someone on boards years ago decided that the wicklow 200 wasn't tough enough (which usually has 200km and between 2,000m to 2,500m climbing), so they tacked on an extra 2,000m of climbing. i've never attempted it, let alone been insane enough to even contemplate it.

this is what one of the lads there came home with.

1687035920721.png

to place that into context - the climb from howth village to the summit pub is i think 116m. so that chap did the equivalent of that climb 40 times.

Do you have the route?

I'd never do that, nut i went on a couple spins with that lot years ago. We may have met IRL actually.

i've met a few boardsies, but only ever been on a spin with a couple of them (and that was before i joined boards). one of the people is now a mad audaxer; by the looks of it she's ireland's leading female audaxer.

Also I wasn't in me gear so I attempted a few cycle paths in the town. Holy fuck total rubbish, starting and stopping in random places. No way to get on or off them with out getting off and getting up or down a huge kerb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back