Jaysus cycling! (6 Viewers)

Your obsession with me will keep me warm until that time.

Be careful. Carry a spare chain to protect yourself from psychotic motorists.

I don't cycle due to lack of peripheral vision, be run over by a fuckwit man in a white van or truck in no time.

Some cyclists, especially couriers, treat pedestrians with contempt. Cyclists will have to cycle on the footpaths at times but do it slowly and carefully.

cycling just came up in conversation in work.
'fucking cyclists who break lights should be banned from cycling rules of the road yadda yadda'
'but you told me you regularly, knowingly, and consciously break the speed limit in your car?'
'...that's different!'

cycling just came up in conversation in work.
'fucking cyclists who break lights should be banned from cycling rules of the road yadda yadda'
'but you told me you regularly, knowingly, and consciously break the speed limit in your car?'
'...that's different!'

Nobody deserves to be treated with contempt. The world would be a much better place if people tried harder to be sound to one another. There are already too many selfish jerks out there.

Probably.But,when your tearing down a street and a pedestrian ahead of you looks up,sees you tearing towards them and steps onto street regardless you just wanna run them over.

Which I can understand, I've been a cyclist, motorist and pedestrian, some of every group are jerks, actually, usually the same people.

The same people who as drivers speed up on orange/red and change lanes without indicating or checking mirrors, tend to be the cyclists who speed through red lights and weave through traffic expecting motorists to watch out for THEM and as pedestrians weave through slow moving traffic as if they're made of titanium.

And they put all the rest of us at risk.

I had a big jawbone with a motorist this morning on my commute. I swerved to avoid a kid - like you'd see on an ad - running out on the road.

Some dozy cow is all over her car horn like a moron. Caught her at the next light and told her what was what. She should drive to expect the unexpected which is how I ride.

Probably.But,when your tearing down a street and a pedestrian ahead of you looks up,sees you tearing towards them and steps onto street regardless you just wanna run them over.

If theres no pedestrian crossing then the pedestrian has the right of way. The problem is that most motorists and some cyclists do not accept that pedestrians have the right to cross the road (whether or not they are attached to a chicken).

I had a big jawbone with a motorist this morning on my commute. I swerved to avoid a kid - like you'd see on an ad - running out on the road.

Some dozy cow is all over her car horn like a moron. Caught her at the next light and told her what was what. She should drive to expect the unexpected which is how I ride.

Well done!

If theres no pedestrian crossing then the pedestrian has the right of way. The problem is that most motorists and some cyclists do not accept that pedestrians have the right to cross the road (whether or not they are attached to a chicken).

Pedestrians only have the right of way when the lights indicate at crosswalks. I adhere to that 90% of the time but always cross at the cross walk not the middle of a road/street. The 10% are times when no cyclists or cars are coming and I have time to walk (not run) across. Irish (no offense) are shite pedestrians who jaywalk constantly and SHOULD be fined. If everyone followed their rules, there would be less accidents.

pedestrians are not allowed step out in front of oncoming traffic, if there's no zebra crossing. and that's the problem lots of cyclists face - pedestrians not regarding cycle lanes as 'the road'.

the problem is motorists want cyclists to be treated on level par with cars. which is absurd. there's a continuum from pedestrians to cyclists to motorists - and i'd argue that cyclists are closer to pedestrians on that continuum.

pedestrians are not allowed step out in front of oncoming traffic, if there's no zebra crossing. and that's the problem lots of cyclists face - pedestrians not regarding cycle lanes as 'the road'.

the problem is motorists want cyclists to be treated on level par with cars. which is absurd. there's a continuum from pedestrians to cyclists to motorists - and i'd argue that cyclists are closer to pedestrians on that continuum.

Dead on.

There are fuck all 'ghostcar' memorials anywhere. Plenty of 'ghost bikes' from cyclists that have been hit.

Dead on.

There are fuck all 'ghostcar' memorials anywhere. Plenty of 'ghost bikes' from cyclists that have been hit.

apart from the one size fits all thing
dscn0645.jpg

Check the rules of the road. Where there are no crossings, especially in estates, pedestrians have the right to cross the road taking due care. There are many places even in Dublin City where there is a considerable distance between crossings.

I agree, pedestrians have to realise that cycle lanes are part of the road.

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-...edestrians/pedestrians_crossing-the-road.html

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-...estrians/pedestrians_near-buses-or-trams.html

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-...strians/pedestrians_safe-crossing-places.html

The above rules are fairly clear at pointing out that pedestrians have responsibilities as well.

The only rule I have is getting somewhere as quickly and safely as possible.

I have no use for a rule book when the world is full of day dreaming motorists who never consider that there are bikes on the road until they see one and jaywalking pedestrians who essentially do the same.
I cannot change people's consciousness and awareness by quoting rules at them after the fact.
I make them aware that I am there by being in their face, yelling and kicking their vehicles.

If you stay in the bike lane you will get hit by a car turning, a pedestrian jaywalking or just plain doored.

My only responsibility is to myself and that is to get to my destination in one piece.

I'll say it again - if I piss anyone off or enrage anyone on the road it means that they have seen me and I am the safer for that.
The rules can kiss my swiss. I am staying alive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back