Jaysus cycling! (3 Viewers)

They will publish responses.
Guaranteed there'll be a few people with their lycra in a twist in the paper tomorrow or Friday.

I'm not sure the paper really pursues an agenda via the letters pages. They have Op-ed for that.

I'm going to write a response. I got some inspiration while cycling home just now

after around 3 or 4 months of cycling i had my first fall on saturday morning. from the city center to howth and back, in the absolute pissing rain, and just as i turned into the lane for our car park i hit a wet manhole cover and went down like a sack of shit. cuts, bruises, sore shoulders.

it's funny how you jump up straight away and then realise you're crippled and hobble off with your tail between your legs.

havent experienced any major road rage in my work cummute. and reading this and similar threads i was expecting it to be a warzone. i did give the wanker sing to a white van in the early days, but being 10st i decided to knock that on the head fairly quickly.

after around 3 or 4 months of cycling i had my first fall on saturday morning. from the city center to howth and back, in the absolute pissing rain, and just as i turned into the lane for our car park i hit a wet manhole cover and went down like a sack of shit. cuts, bruises, sore shoulders.

it's funny how you jump up straight away and then realise you're crippled and hobble off with your tail between your legs.

I did this kind of thing so many times when I was working as a courier. Something about slipping on the wet and falling sideways onto your hip and shoulder that's sorer than most falls. Hope you're feeling better.

Actually it does seem a bit off to put letters like that in on Bike to Work Day

They had a couple of big features on cycling this week. The letter about the footpath cycling is regarding a photo that was in one of the features showing a father and his two kids pedalling on the footpath. Why they printed that photo I do not know. Nor why the father does it in the first place (though the kids were young).

Anyway, a motorists/pedestrians v cyclists fight flares up on the letters page about three times a year at this stage. Not really surprising as there's so many more people cycling, which means there's so many more people cycling like utter dickheads. Don't think the IT are pursuing an agenda at all.

Do write a letter though Scutts.

theres loads of cyclists a lot more militant than me. I reckon they got lots of responses. But shur will see
Sir, – I refer to the letters of Peter Molloy and Michael Power (June 20th) regarding their negative attitude towards cyclists. If they were to take to a bicycle they would note the perils of cycling in our Fair City. Motorists speed past cyclists at far too close a proximity, provided they even see the cyclist in the first place.

Pedestrians consider cycle-paths (where provided) an extension of the footpath and such carelessness by pedestrians has caused me to very nearly hit a few of them in my time. Cycle-paths are constantly invaded by motorists illegally undertaking vehicles in front turning right, and their exclusive reserve for the use of cyclists is rarely respected, particularly by buses.

Another issue is the quality of the cycle-paths where provided. There are many stretches of cycle-path, for example on the N11 between RTÉ and UCD which are so riddled with drains and potholes that they are simply unsafe to cycle on. Motorists must remember a minor crack in the road for a motorist is a dangerous fissure for a cyclist to avoid.

This is Cycle Week and I implore motorists to look out for, anticipate, and respect cyclists on the roads. We are entitled to the use of the road and we are the ones who will come off second best in an accident. Cycling is here to stay and motorists will simply have to change their ways in order to make the roads a safer place for all of us. – Yours, etc,

PADRAIG DEMPSEY,

Mount Anville Wood,

Mount Anville,

Co Dublin.

Mount Anville Wood? La de dah Scutts. La de fuckin' dah.

Decent letter though. Not too confrontational. I like it.

Mount Anville Wood? La de dah Scutts. La de fuckin' dah.

Decent letter though. Not too confrontational. I like it.

cheers. This was my letter though.

Sir - Two letters published on wednesday June 20th highlight the predicament cyclists often find themselves in at the hands of those less than amenable to the bicycle as a means of transport. Peter Molloy highlights the dangers to pedestrians caused by cyclists who 'take to the footpath, while Michael Power requests that cyclists 'cycle on the cycle paths, where they are provided, instead of on the roadway alongside the cycle paths', such cycle paths frequently being located on or alongside footpaths and often as a shared space with pedestrians. Truly, as a cyclist, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Yours, etc

I have no interest in placating motorists. Fuck 'em.
I bike where I need to bike. i don't go on the path, but I will go down a one-way against traffic and I will leave the bike lane to weave through traffic.
my only responsibility on teh road is to not get hit.
No one in a car gives a fuck, so i don't either.

Yours, etc.

I bike where I need to bike. i don't go on the path, but I will go down a one-way against traffic and I will leave the bike lane to weave through traffic.

Yours, etc.

this is the post that gave you away dude. But fret not, I was thinking of doing the same thing myself when I hit 12000 posts

Yours, etc.

Wait until you get royally creamed by a car/bus/truck and its your fault.Skin grafts from road burn, physio from broken bones and shit wont pay for themselves...

I know how to use/abuse the road on a bike, motorbike, car or van its the rest of the road users I don't trust hence its a good idea to stick to the rules and treat everyone else as if they dont.

Wait until you get royally creamed by a car/bus/truck and its your fault.Skin grafts from road burn, physio from broken bones and shit wont pay for themselves...

I know how to use/abuse the road on a bike, motorbike, car or van its the rest of the road users I don't trust hence its a good idea to stick to the rules and treat everyone else as if they dont.

Did you read the bit where I said that I don't get hit?

Thanks for wishing an accident on me though.

i blacked out for sec cycling along the canal yesterday. no craic. i had a fever and stupidly decided to cycle home from work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back