Jaysus cycling! (13 Viewers)

I was a courier once....it's a tough racket.

Literally once, actually. It was lashing rain from the moment I left my gaff to the moment I returned about 10 hours later. Like a wuss, I wussed out after the first day.

Anyway, I was in the car park in Temple Bar that I often use for my bike if I'm going for a few pints in town and as I was about to lock my bike I noticed there's a sign saying it's a fiver to lock your bike and you can be fined €35 if you've no ticket when you're exiting. Never saw that before. Is it the same in all car-parks? Anyone any other recommendations for places you can lock a bike and not have to worry about it?

I was a courier once....it's a tough racket.

Literally once, actually. It was lashing rain from the moment I left my gaff to the moment I returned about 10 hours later. Like a wuss, I wussed out after the first day.

Anyway, I was in the car park in Temple Bar that I often use for my bike if I'm going for a few pints in town and as I was about to lock my bike I noticed there's a sign saying it's a fiver to lock your bike and you can be fined €35 if you've no ticket when you're exiting. Never saw that before. Is it the same in all car-parks? Anyone any other recommendations for places you can lock a bike and not have to worry about it?

the Drury st carpark has loads of bike parking but it closes at 11 or 12

Is this a proper privately owned indoor, cctv'd car park that gangs of hoodies with a pair of bolt cutters could not possibly get into? If the state, i.e. Temple Bar Properties, is going to start charging us to lock our bikes, I will be deeply shocked and might just go on a homicidal rampage.

The only place I like to lock my bike is a place I can see it from wherever I am. I sit in the window at pubs if I am on the bike. I get the fear, especially now that I have a bike that I love.

Is this a proper privately owned indoor, cctv'd car park that gangs of hoodies with a pair of bolt cutters could not possibly get into? .

It's managed by Park Rite anyway
http://www.parkrite.ie/car_park.html

They also manage/own Drury Street Car Park too...
The security in the Temple Bar one isn't up to much, anyone can wander in up the out ramp and you'd rarely see staff around the place. So, you'd probably get away with spinning out quickly on your bike with no ticket, but I'd sure hate to have to hand over €35 though. Actually, that's maybe why the dude in the hut was waving at me last time. I thought he was just being friendly.

It's managed by Park Rite anyway
http://www.parkrite.ie/car_park.html

They also manage/own Drury Street Car Park too...
The security in the Temple Bar one isn't up to much, anyone can wander in up the out ramp and you'd rarely see staff around the place. So, you'd probably get away with spinning out quickly on your bike with no ticket, but I'd sure hate to have to hand over €35 though. Actually, that's maybe why the dude in the hut was waving at me last time. I thought he was just being friendly.

Surely you'd need to have the ticket on it? i.e. they'd slap an extra lock on any bike with no ticket and then you pay a fine to get it off, no?

The thing about car parks is that they're usually pretty well decked out with cameras - especially at entrances/exits. The scumbags know this and generally avoid them. So they are generally safe.
I locked mine a lot in the Drury St one. I thought it was great.

Surely you'd need to have the ticket on it? i.e. they'd slap an extra lock on any bike with no ticket and then you pay a fine to get it off, no?

The thing about car parks is that they're usually pretty well decked out with cameras - especially at entrances/exits. The scumbags know this and generally avoid them. So they are generally safe.
I locked mine a lot in the Drury St one. I thought it was great.

It says you must be able to present a ticket upon exit. In fairness, the area where the bike racks are is small, hidden behind a wall, never busy when I've been there, and hardly even noticeable, so I doubt the staff bother their holes checking up on what's there.

It says you must be able to present a ticket upon exit. In fairness, the area where the bike racks are is small, hidden behind a wall, never busy when I've been there, and hardly even noticeable, so I doubt the staff bother their holes checking up on what's there.

Oh, non-problem then.

Does anyone know is there anywhere daycent to lock a bike up around Dundrum shopping centre? I'm going to the flicks tomorrow night so it'll need to be safe for a few hours.

My bike came unstuck on the way to work yesterday so I locked it outside the Penny Farthing, with the idea that I'd drop it in when they were open on my way home from work. Realised when I got to work that I'd left my new lights on it.

Got there at half five and the lights were still there!

Generally I've found that for some reason lights don't seem to get robbed in Dublin.

I fell at the first hurdle and got into a screaming match with someone in a car after stating on this very forum that I was going to change my ways. Your man actually refused to let me into the cycle lane that he was driving/waiting in and then honked at me once I managed to go around him and get in it.

I failed to obtain the moral high ground and the other cyclists in the area wouldn't even look at me.

I must do better next time

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back