Jaysus cycling! (13 Viewers)

Got my tyres changed recently, to road tyres, since then the bike has been rattling like crazy, every bump is a total wrist shocker... Understand it might be a side effect or smooth tyres, and the dude who fitted them pumped them up to bejaysis (if I let a little air out would this soften the ride?) and now I can feel every dimple and pit on the road.

You just have to get used to it, try holding the handlebars a little looser in your hands.

it sounds like oil/lubricatin problems for both. just take out the back, drown it in that spray on stuff, jiggle everything about. repeat a day after.

Brought it to the lads in UCD Bike Shop. He showed me the teeth on the smaller chain-ring and said they're fucked. Have to ride exclusively on the bigger chain-ring now, cheaper than replacing everything.

Why do designers of these things never stop and ask "Will the user look like a twat?" -

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X813eTuZJkc"]YouTube - YikeBike - Urban Freedom[/ame]

You just have to get used to it, try holding the handlebars a little looser in your hands.

Don't hold 'em too loose though or this might happen:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-payruR2-k"]YouTube - Jens Voigt Crash 21-07-09[/ame]
Jens-Voigt-001.jpg

Anyone see the primetime special tonight?

Summary:

Cycling in this city is mental and will be like that for sometime.

Oh and DCC have appointed a cycle officer....well that's nice i guess.

Didn't make me nearly as angry as I thought it would.
Didn't tell me anything I didn't already know though. There wasn't enough focus on cycle tracks, just the usual "the cycle lanes are rubbish". And they're not cycle lanes at all, they're cycle tracks and cycle ways. Even the DCC guy got the nomenclature wrong.

I dunno, it was good for the non-cycling people I guess. It raises awareness of the fact that people ride bicycles in Dublin, which is always good. And the stories of the woman who died and the woman who was paralysed were sobering.

Yeah, that poor girl's story was sobering. I can be a bit mad at times on the bike,

but I never mess with trucks and buses. But sometimes on narrower bus lanes it

is unavoidable that the busman messes with me.

great to see how popular the dublinbikes thing is turning out to be. I see loads of people on them on my way home (moreso than in, but occasionally in too).

Whats the story with the lights on them? At the station by baggot street bridge all of them had their lights on. Are they lithium ion, or dynamos, or what?

Watching the news there last night, when they do live reports from the courts or Leinster House or whatever, you see loads cycling by on them in the background.

They should expand it out a bit further. Like up to Fairview or Drumcondra, or out to Clontarf on the northside. Down to Terenure, Dundrum and a few other gaffs on the southside. Then people will really get good use of them.

I'm dying to see what happens when theres something on like a gig in the point and loads take bikes to cycle up and lock them outside. It'll be some crack figuring out which one is yours from the loads that'll be there.

All good though. Kudos to whoever did this, albeit a year and a half late.

i was kinda hoping the scheme would crash and burn - not because the bikes are a bad idea, but because we essentially handed jc decaux so much public space for a pitiful price.

yes true. But the adoption of it has been great. And the more people on bikes, the better chance someone will do something about improving conditions for cycling around the city.

Also, its kind of heartening that they haven't been all vandalised. I'm sure some will be in time but I figured they'd all be wrecked in the first week, such little faith have I in the scumbag element of my fellow countrymen.

Its just kind of nice to see how many people are out on bikes these days. We are getting some glorious sunny days and that probably accounts for some of the extra numbers, but the more of us there are, the harder it is for pricks in cars to be oblivious to our existence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back