Jaysus cycling! (12 Viewers)

I recently got one of these on the cycle to verk scheme.

OAK1908M.jpg

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/b_details.aspx?id=571

I hadn't cycled in at least 10 years I'd say. Must say it's very enjoyable. That said, I only cycle about 2 miles each way and there's hardly any traffic on the route.

I recently got one of these on the cycle to verk scheme.

OAK1908M.jpg

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/b_details.aspx?id=571

I hadn't cycled in at least 10 years I'd say. Must say it's very enjoyable. That said, I only cycle about 2 miles each way and there's hardly any traffic on the route.

How did the financial side work out for you. What reduction did you get off the total cost of the bike, or did the employer pay for it?

How did the financial side work out for you. What reduction did you get off the total cost of the bike, or did the employer pay for it?

Short answer is I don't know because they haven't started taking it out of my pay packet yet.

Long answer: Original cost: €279. I got the bike in Eurocycles in Colondalkin, who are giving a 20% discount to anyone buying in the cycle to work scheme (it could be an even more general discount than that). So that brought it down to €223. Then the tax discount, which includes exemption from the government levy and income tax, is anything from about 30% to 43%. So that would bring it down to about: €134 to €156. So you'd be looking at paying something like 50% to 60% of the original cost, going down this particular route. Most places offering discouts for this scheme though. I bought a couple of peripherals like lights and and a lock and they're covered too.

eurocycles.ie

i'm placing my order tomorrow on the cycle to work scheme... the comany we do it through have to order the bike in - so I won't get a change to sit on it... (i've seen the bike in another shop but can't reemeber the size etc)

according to my "inside leg" measurements I should be suitable for a 54" or 56" frame..

is there a general rule of thumb on going for the larger or smaller option?

i'm placing my order tomorrow on the cycle to work scheme... the comany we do it through have to order the bike in - so I won't get a change to sit on it... (i've seen the bike in another shop but can't reemeber the size etc)

according to my "inside leg" measurements I should be suitable for a 54" or 56" frame..

is there a general rule of thumb on going for the larger or smaller option?

So you are buying a road bike?

Always if you can get away with it go with the smaller option, road or mountain.

I assume you mean 54 or 56 cm though right?

Are you fairly small? I would be around the six foot mark, and I would buy 57 or 58cm frames usually. You are less than 6 foot right?

So you are buying a road bike?

Always if you can get away with it go with the smaller option, road or mountain.

I assume you mean 54 or 56 cm though right?

Are you fairly small? I would be around the six foot mark, and I would buy 57 or 58cm frames usually. You are less than 6 foot right?

yep. I'm under 6 ft.

sorry yea - I mean 54-56 cm

my inside leg range is about 31.5 "

this is the guide i was using

53cm (20.5”)
29"-33"​
55cm (21.5”)
30"-34"​
56cm (22”)
31"-35"​

this is the bike - an entry level tourer that comes in 54" and 56" +

ridgeback-voyage-2009-touring-bike.jpg

http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/index.php?bikeID=87&seriesID=41&show_bike=TRUE

yep. I'm under 6 ft.

sorry yea - I mean 54-56 cm

my inside leg range is about 31.5 "

this is the guide i was using

53cm (20.5”)
29"-33"​
55cm (21.5”)
30"-34"​
56cm (22”)
31"-35"​

this is the bike - an entry level tourer that comes in 54" and 56" +

http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/index.php?bikeID=87&seriesID=41&show_bike=TRUE

Thats a good enough guide to use. But you can't be full sure unless you actually sit up on the bike. That guide is really only for the frame itself. But, it should be easy enough to adjust it to suit once you get it. Worst case you might need to buy a new stem. That happened me before with a road bike. The frame size was perfect but my knees were hitting the handlebars. Changing the 90mm step for a 140mm stem did the trick.

Thats a good enough guide to use. But you can't be full sure unless you actually sit up on the bike. That guide is really only for the frame itself. But, it should be easy enough to adjust it to suit once you get it. Worst case you might need to buy a new stem. That happened me before with a road bike. The frame size was perfect but my knees were hitting the handlebars. Changing the 90mm step for a 140mm stem did the trick.

cheers boss... so would you suggest the smaller frame i.e. 54"

i will be loading it with panniers from time to time

cheers boss... so would you suggest the smaller frame i.e. 54"

i will be loading it with panniers from time to time

I'd say go for 56. My inseam is 32 leg and 56 works for me. I'm just shy of 6 foot.

Plus tourers might have a slightly shorter top tube so I'd definitely tend towards a bigger frame.

I'd say go for 56. My inseam is 32 leg and 56 works for me. I'm just shy of 6 foot.

Plus tourers might have a slightly shorter top tube so I'd definitely tend towards a bigger frame.

yeah, I'm the same height as scutter there I'd say. I have long legs, so I have to really ride 57 cm frames with the saddle jacked up and long stems. At the moment I am on a 58cm fixer with the saddle about 6 inches up.

You do want to have the smallest frame you can get away with, but 54cm seems tiny. The geometry of the bike will start getting a bit steep at that size. If you look at girls bikes they look weird because the frame tightens up so much.

The reason I say go for smaller frames is because they are stiffer. But a 56cm frame should be stiff enough for a commute. In fact you would trade stiffness for comfort on a commuter. (Another reason I got the 58cm frame for in and out of work, and 57s for race bikes.)

I see those Velib stations taking shape. I've noticed 3 so far;

- corner of Pearse St and Westland Row (bikes will be vandalised there)
- corner of Baggot St and Warrington Place (by the canal)
- Portobello bridge (beside the college)

anyone know anywhere I can see a full list of where these are gonna be?

Shouldn't be long now. It looks like they're just waiting on the payment machines to arrive (and the bikes themselves of course).

Nothing to do with cycling but a physio told me the other day that I have a very long back. My legs aren't short though (34" inside leg), so why am I not fucking massive then?? I'm 6'.

I see those Velib stations taking shape. I've noticed 3 so far;

- corner of Pearse St and Westland Row (bikes will be vandalised there)
- corner of Baggot St and Warrington Place (by the canal)
- Portobello bridge (beside the college)

anyone know anywhere I can see a full list of where these are gonna be?

Shouldn't be long now. It looks like they're just waiting on the payment machines to arrive (and the bikes themselves of course).

from the good folks at boards.ie;
-------------------
CityBikes scheme
The scheme will provide 40 public bike stations around the city with 450 bikes available for general public use! The network of stations will extend from the Mater Hospital in the north to the Grand Canal in the south and from Smithfield in the west to the IFSC and North Docklands in the east.

attachment.php

City-goers will be able to collect a bike from any station and return it to any station on the network e.g. you could collect a bike from a station on Talbot Street and return it to a station at Stephens Green or vice versa. The cost of installation, management and maintenance of the bikes and their stations (including replacing and repairing the bikes) will be covered by JC Decaux. JC Decaux have agreed to provide the bikes as part of an Outdoor Advertising and public Amenities contract with Dublin City Council.

The dublinbikes scheme will operate between 5am and 12.30am, 7 days a week. An automated card machine will be located at each station where users can either use a smartcard (members) or a credit card (non-members) to take out a bike. Bikers who wish to sign up for a smartcard will pay an annual subscription fee of just €10, while occasional dublinbike users may prefer to pay a small charge (€2 for 3 days) for the use of the bikes. Once removed from any station, the bikes can be used for up to 30 minutes free of charge, with a relatively low charge per hour of rental thereafter (e.g. 0-30mins = free, 30-60mins = €0.50, 60-90mins = €1, etc). The bikes cannot be taken out using cash.

Locations of the ‘dublinbike’ stations:

You can see a mockup here Attachment 80969

1. Chatham Street
2. Blessington Street
3. Bolton Street
4. Greek Street
5. Charlemont Place
6. Christchurch Place
7. High Street
8. Custom House Quay
9. Exchequer Street
10. Dame Street
11. Earlsfort Terrace
12. Eccles Street
13. Fitzwilliam Square West
14. Fownes Street Upper
15. Hardwiche Street
16. Georges Quay
17. Golden Lane
18. Grantham Street
19. Herbert Place
20. James Street East
21. Leinster Street South
22. Townsend Street
23. Custom House
24. Cathal Brugha Street
25. Merrion Square East
26. Merrion Square West
27. Molesworth Street
28. Mountjoy Square West
29. Ormond Quay Upper
30. Parnell Square North
31. Parnell Street
32. Pearse Street
33. Princes Street North/ O’ Connell Street
34. Portobello Harbour
35. Smithfield
36. St. Stephens Green East
37. St. Stephens Green South
38. Talbot Street
39. Wilton Terrace
40. Jervis Street

FAQs

Do I have to return my bike to the same station I got it from?
No. The bikes can be taken from/returned to any station on the network.

Can I pay by cash?
Unfortunately no. The cards offer security so that if a situation arises whereby a user does not return their bike after use they will be charged. Cash does not offer the same security and could lead to a small percentage of users abusing the scheme.

How much does the scheme cost?
10 euro per year for membership or 2 euro for 3 days. It is then free to use the bikes for the first half hour, 0.50 euro for the next half hour(i.e. 0.50 euro for an hour), 1 euro from 60-90 mins(i.e. 1.50 euro for an hour and a half), and 2 euro from 90-120 mins(i.e. 3.50 euro for 2 hours)

Why is it more expensive for longer durations?
We wish to encourage short-term use of the bikes so that there will be more bikes available to as many people as possible. In other cities there has been a high turnover of bike usage e.g each bike in the velib scheme (in Paris) is used on average 8 times a day.

What’s to stop somebody else taking a bike using my details while I’m still at the ticket machine?
Each bike stand will be numbered. Once you have selected your bike there will be a time delay before the bike is released from its stand. This will give you a chance to walk from the ticket machine to the bike before the bike is unlocked.

Why is there no bike station at Heuston Station?
In order for the scheme to work, the bike stations must be ideally no further than 300m apart. This will ensure that in the unlikely event of a bike station being full, users will not have far to travel to the next nearest station. Heuston station serves many commuters and therefore it is likely many users would arrive at the station at approximately the same time (evening rush hour peak) on bikes taken out from a number of different stations. If the bike station at Heuston were full and there wasn’t a sufficient number of bike stations nearby to accommodate the user, users would be likely to miss their train. This would put many people off using the service.

It is predicted that the usage of the service at Heuston would be such that a high concentration of stations would be required in the vicinity and furthermore on the approach from the city centre (every 300m) for the scheme to work effectively. Given that there are 450 bikes overall, this would spread the scheme quite finely, with core areas in the city centre suffering as a result.

If the scheme proves to be a success, it is likely the scheme will be extended to a ‘phase 2’ which will include Heuston station and other areas outside the city centre core.

What should I do if I get a puncture en route?
Don’t worry - punctures happen from general wear and tear and you won’t be charged if your bike gets a puncture. Just drop the bike back to the nearest station. A number of service vehicles will travel to and from each station regularly with staff carrying out general repairs on the bikes.

attachment.php

so the question we will find out the answer to is :
What proportion of Dubliners are bike thieving, vandalising, throwing in the canal, melting down frames for steel, knackers?

Also, can you raise that saddle? Or will there be two different size bikes?

so the question we will find out the answer to is :
What proportion of Dubliners are bike thieving, vandalising, throwing in the canal, melting down frames for steel, knackers?

Also, can you raise that saddle? Or will there be two different size bikes?

not a huge proportion but enough of the cunts to ruin it for everyone else.

I saw the bikes in Paris. They had some kind of quickie adjust mechanism. Kinda like a quick-release but it didn't fully release - just loosened.

The bikes are horrible looking. I'd say they're horrible to ride. No one would be arsed robbing them. But they'll be vandalised and most will end up in the canal/liffey.

bike got stolen so i'm practically immobile now. locked it outside a charity shop for 10 minutes and it's gone. some girl was talking to gardai about her bike being stolen but wouldn't take my info cause the other side of the street is on another district. made me call to the station to get people out to me, but i after waiting for half an hour i had to go leave cause i had an appointment to get on the dole. but i'm hella glad they took my info at the store st garda station, sure i'll be back cycling in no time. my shoes soles are wearing off already and i've no money to get new ones. why does everything have to be so miserable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back