Jaysus cycling! (5 Viewers)

if the post was forced then if you so much as look at those seat lugs with a screwdriver the seat tube is going to explode.

I would doubt it has though. I would say its just seized. You basically can't force a seat post on a carbon frame.

so, bikes with disc brakes... yes or no?

would they be suitable with a bike loaded with panniers?

specifically (Avid BB-7 Road Disc Brakes)

deep breath...
ok, there is ~no difference in power between disk and regular V brakes. (Ie, both will lock both wheels easily.)

Disks will give you more modulation at the braking hard end of the spectrum. You can move between 80 and 95% confidently. On V's you cannot.

So, that's basically the difference.
That and muck / rain not affecting disks as much.

Also I would stay away from disks unless they are hydraulic.

So, if you are often braking hard, and needing very fine control on very big braking, OR you are often riding with muck / water on your rims then disks are something to think about.
Otherwise, nah.

But, the downside to hyd disks is they are a bastard to service (that is change the fluid, the pad changes are easy.)

Im not sure if that answers your question BA.
Its basically a long winded "it depends".

edit: oh, Avid BB-7 Road Disc Brakes are mechanical. I wouldn't bother so. Mechs are actually less powerful than V brakes, due to cable flex and less leverage at the point of braking (ie near center of wheel vrs rim.)

Yeah stay away from the mechanical disc brakes. Better off with standard ones.

edit: oh, Avid BB-7 Road Disc Brakes are mechanical. I wouldn't bother so. Mechs are actually less powerful than V brakes, due to cable flex and less leverage at the point of braking (ie near center of wheel vrs rim.)

Yeah stay away from the mechanical disc brakes. Better off with standard ones.

cheers bosses... I haven't a clue about disk brakes so this is handy to know... The question was on behalf of my g/f. we're getting her a new bike for commuting and the occaional 1-2 week tour.

we liked the look of the kona dew drop but it has those brakes... hmmm

2K9_DEWDROP.jpg

They all sell brand name bikes - most of them with gears and derailleurs and other crap that I have no interest in.

I just want a good frame, drive train, brakes and wheels.

Ask a courier with one, there's defo a few people making them. Or I can probably get a contact number if ya want?

cheers bosses... I haven't a clue about disk brakes so this is handy to know... The question was on behalf of my g/f. we're getting her a new bike for commuting and the occaional 1-2 week tour.

we liked the look of the kona dew drop but it has those brakes... hmmm

2K9_DEWDROP.jpg

Does look like a good bike, I just don't see the point in mechanical disc brakes for the same reasons as flashback outlined. I don't think they're much worse than v-brakes though.

They all sell brand name bikes - most of them with gears and derailleurs and other crap that I have no interest in.

most bike shops in dublin have racer type fixies now. that's what the kids are into now. brand names got nothing to do with it
http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=23595

I just want a good frame, drive train, brakes and wheels.

well if you wanna show off your individuality and all that cool shit, get
http://cgi.ebay.ie/Amazing-pink-fix...1|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Does look like a good bike, I just don't see the point in mechanical disc brakes for the same reasons as flashback outlined. I don't think they're much worse than v-brakes though.

Right. I would imagine they wont be much less powerful than V brakes.

I mean, they would probably be fine. They will be better than rim brakes in the rain too.

I thought you were thinking about removing rim brakes and replacing them with mech disks, and I was saying stay away.

If the bike comes with them as spec, and you take it out and you can handily stand the bike up on the front wheel via the front brake, and it doesn't feel squashy, then you should be ok.

That's actually an important point. The power of braking is transmitted *through* the hub, into the spokes, into the rim into the tyre for disks.
This is transfering energy around, which might not matter depending on how stiff your hubs are, and how your wheels are laced.
BUT, if you have soggy hubs, or soft lacing in the spokes, then the braking will be spongy.
If the braking feels crisp and sharp, then you are ok. If it feels a bit squashy, then you should try and opt for a V brake model, where the braking is put directly onto the rims, and the hubs and spoke lacing doesn;t matter so much.

Edit, to test this, you need to hockey on the brakes, get the back wheel in the air, and stand it right up. And you will want to compare this to a V brake bike say. And you have to apply the brakes fairly suddenly and hard, but avoid planting your face into the ground if possible.

OR... if you hear a lot of creaking and groaning as you are loading up the brakes, this means things are flexing about, and might be a pointer to you to think about v brakes.

Christ I'm a nerd.

No 7, I bought my fixer online.
It was 400 bucks, including delivery.

One point if you buy online, make sure your fixed hub is battered on. There is a lock ring that must be tight. Remember, you are putting load on the sprocket from both directions, braking and accelerating. This means that it will not always be tightening itself up.
I heard horror stories about the fixed sprocket not being tight enough, and the dude starts slowing down via the pedals, and the sprocket came off the wheel.
Not cool.

Bike to work scheme near completion

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0514/bikes.html

"The Department of Finance says it is close to finalising a bike to work scheme for civil servants five months after it came into effect.
The scheme was announced in last October's Budget and offers an exemption from benefit in kind for employers who are willing to buy bicycles for their employees to travel to work.
But although the scheme has been up and running in the private sector, it has been held up for most of the civil service because of concerns over liability, tendering and warranty.
Advertisement

The Department of Finance said today the scheme is close to being finalised and that the Office of Public Works will be advertising next week to compile a list of authorised suppliers.
Once adopted by the Civil Service, this scheme is expected to be available to all 300,000 workers in the public sector.
Employees repay the cost of bicycles through their wages and effectively write this off against tax, leading to savings of up to €410 on the purchase price.
The Department of Transport, which says it has already implemented the scheme among its own staff recently, announced spending of €2 billion over the next 11 years to quadruple the amount of people cycling to work.
James Leahy of Bike To Work, a company that helps firms implement the scheme, said that in Britain over 30% of all bicycle sales are now processed through a similar tax break there."

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back