Jaysus cycling! (8 Viewers)

Yeah, may go that way next time. I was fine doing the steep climb at the start, but after that the road just kept on climbing, and I *really* needed a rest. But since I was miles from civilisation I just had to keep going. It really was quite tough.

Here, I'm confused looking at the map. Which waterfall did I go past? Just outside Laragh on the way to Sally Gap? It was very impressive.

yes, glenmacnass. Its a little under halfway up, and the gradient is at its steepest on that stretch - but the scenery makes it doable.

You were headed the opposite direction to me so - I went down that way.

You'd have had a lovely tailwind at the top section of that climb on saturday - just when you would have needed it. Its 19kms from Laragh to Sally Gap, and though the gradient is pretty forgiving, if you're doing that climb, your in pretty reasonable fettle.

good stuff Seanc. I can't see the full route on mapmyride but the gradients look familiar. I'm assuming theres a Sally Gap in there somewhere from the glencree direction.

Was up there myself. Would have been at Sally Gap at maybe 11am-ish. Passed some boards.ie folks at the top of the Lough Bre climb (4 in total. 3 guys, 1 girl who'd dropped off the pace a bit). Saw the guys again in the coffee shop in Laragh (me and me mate were just leaving, headed to the wicklow gap) as they arrived.

If you're hitting 100kms now I'd say you'd be on course to do the wicklow 200. I did the last 3 of them and will do it again this year. We're going for time this year as distance is doable.

I wouldn't be frightened by this year's w200 route. Have a look at it on their site - theres a huge distance to travel between the first climb and the second and third, which are right back to back (and though both stiff, both very short).

Go for it man. The 200 is a great day out. If you can hit 130kms on a spin before then I'd say you'll be fine (the first year I did it the max distance I ever did was 135kms).

Did Sally Gap from Laragh actually, and I saw those Boards.ie folks at the coffee shop in Laragh, so we must have just missed each other. Thumped loners FTW!!

Definitely going to attempt the Wicklow 100. Managed 63k on Saturday. Dalkey to Enniskerry. Then followed the Wicklow 100 route towards Roundwood. Took the turn off for Newtown Mt Kennedy. Coffee and grub in Greystones. Nice day apart from a load of shams stuffed into a Micra roaring in my ear as they overtook me at speed on the Greystones-Bray road. Muppets. Cycling is addictive though.

Is anyone doing the Wicklow 200 or Wicklow 100?

I hate that mapmyride site, here's the actual link to the route:
http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/dublin/384123885749764014

I'm doing the 100, I think. Possibly on this because I don't have another bike at the moment

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/penexpers/3228242551/in/set-72157608032848823/"]Clothed Big Dummy With Mudguards on Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3398/3228242551_f520073d53.jpg?v=0@@AMEPARAM@@3228242551@@AMEPARAM@@f520073d53[/ame]

I need a new bike. The knackers that tried to steal my Sirrus last year left one particular dent that has now become a crack meaning the frame is knackered. Pretty pissed off about it.
Anyway, I want a road bike with straight bars, disc brakes and single speed.
You guys know a lot, so any suggestions would be welcome.
Should I be upgrading to hydraulic brakes now?
Is it worth my while going up the north?

They have this Cannondale 'Bad Boy' in CycleWays for €750
A little flashy for my taste and maybe a bit of a thief-magnet, but it fits the bill.
Also the one they have for €750 is an L frame and I kinda need an XL

http://gb.cannondale.com/bikes/09/ce/model-9BR1.html

9BR1_BBQ.jpg

jc, the rust is probably superficial, dont get too worried about it.
you can spray a light penetrating oil on it, WD40 say, and wipe it till its clean, then put a heavier lube on it.

hydraulic disks are good I suppose. If you are braking hard, or from fast speeds, they give you a lot of confidence to really drop anchor and know that you aren't about to go over the handlebars.

I wouldn't say they are necessarily more powerful than well set up normal brakes, but they give you access to more stopping power by being more predictable and easier to use.

If you know what I mean.
Does that make sense?

the rust is probably superficial, dont get too worried about it.
you can spray a light penetrating oil on it, WD40 say, and wipe it till its clean, then put a heavier lube on it.
Be careful with WD40, if you get it in the wrong places it can drive grease out of parts. I'd just spray the chain with some lube from a bike shop.

I need a new bike. The
They have this Cannondale 'Bad Boy' in CycleWays for €750
It's a grand bike I'm sure, but I personally don't like the one sided front fork.

i considered a lefty years ago (with suspension) but while the fork looks cool, you're looking at non-standard parts in case it needs fixing. go for something a bit more ubiquitous.

i'd imagine you pay a premium for the single sided front end.

And I am not sure if its actually better than a comparatively priced normal front end.

ah plenty of production bikes have hydraulic brakes alright.

Servicing them brakes is really hard though I think. I did mine twice. And screwed it up the second time. Sad face.

You have to buy all brake fluid and mad tools and things. Still, they stop you.

Do you ever watch motorbike racing? Do you ever see the lads braking on the way into corners, or getting on the power and the bike starts to wriggle under them? You can do that on a bicycle under really heavy braking with hydraulic brakes.
I think what's happening is that part of the tyre is skidding, and part of it is gripping, and the whole bike starts to move about. I've done it on braking on motorbikes, but it never happened on biccyles until I was using those brakes. That used to make me smile.

edit, this is what I'm on about. Look at the bike moving around at around 1.05 say. (Also, watch how far away the ground is from the brake lever at 1.00.)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

is getting a budget touring bike and using it for a short commute to work and knocking about town, doing the shopping etc along with the occasional tour an extravagence?

basically I can now avail of the UK govt. cycle to work scheme and I have an eye on a budget touring bike (a few steps down from the one I really want but out of my price range)

I have been using the same super budget hybrid for about 4 years.. it's fine but I need a better bike for longer cycles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back