Jaysus cycling! (6 Viewers)

you can get tyre levers with a sheet of steel through the middle of them. never tried them but i'd say they'd be good if you keep breaking levers. also, the cheap levers aren't worth a shit. muck so they are. mad bendy and shit.

Somehow I reckon having had that many punctures he wasn't using armadillos yeah you're probably right. How much are those armadillo tyres anyhow?

they're about 30 euro each i think. worth it though.

they are deadly. I haven't had a single conventional puncture since I got mine (in over a year). The only trouble I've had puncture-wise since is when the inside of the rim (or the rim tape) got damaged and started popping tubes from the inside. Nothing has ever gotten through the tire though, including one time when a nail went into it. They're well worth the $$ alright. Thats on my hybrid though. I'd imagine they're a bit too grippy for the road bike.

Think I'l buy some in a few weeks. Gotta get my gears fixed first. Bloody gear shifter/brake contraption is buggered.

they are deadly. I haven't had a single conventional puncture since I got mine (in over a year). The only trouble I've had puncture-wise since is when the inside of the rim (or the rim tape) got damaged and started popping tubes from the inside. Nothing has ever gotten through the tire though, including one time when a nail went into it. They're well worth the $$ alright. Thats on my hybrid though. I'd imagine they're a bit too grippy for the road bike.

I used them for a while in a hybrid and I found them to be terrible because

1. they are really heavy
2. they give a really harsh ride (see point 1)
3. in the wet, the grip on them is pretty much non-existant, often feels like cornering on ice.

The major advantage of them like you said is they don't puncture. I know one guy who put 20,000km on a pair of Armadillos before they punctured.

I now use Continental Ultra Gatorskin's and find them brilliant. Really grippy, really smooth and no punctures after 2000+ km.

gears are slipping like a mad thing on me bike. i think the problem is the gears' pointy bits are a bit ground down, how much to replace these? is it possible the chain is too long aswell?

my bike is like the house in the money pit.

gears are slipping like a mad thing on me bike. i think the problem is the gears' pointy bits are a bit ground down, how much to replace these? is it possible the chain is too long aswell?

yes, both are possible. But its unlikely to be your chain, or you'd have noticed before now. Changing the rear block shouldn't be too expensive. The front cog a little moreso.

Chances are its your derailleur (either front or back depending on which is slipping). It might be something easily rectified.

if you change the sprockets on the back, you need to change the chain too.
Put the chain on the big ring on the front, and lift the center of where the chain is wrapping around the front chain ring. If you can see a whole tooth your chain is stretched.

the way to tell if the chain ring is dead is by looking at it, if you see sharks fins, sort of the points on the cog offset to one side rather than being symmetrical, then you need a new one of them too.

have to report

fotki_31.jpg

^ Poor bastard. I came off like that once.

I bought one of those rugby undergarments the other day to wear while cycling. Amazing. Keeps the core warm and very breathable.

critical mass wins UK legal case

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7750004.stm

Earlier cyclists who took part in the rides had been handed written notices by the police.

They said the event was unlawful as it is governed by section 11 of the Public Order Act 1986 and organisers needed to notify them about the date, route and participants' names and addresses.

But the House of Lords said that as the event had no specified leader or set route and proceeded on a "follow my leader" basis, it was not subject to the Act.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back