Jaysus cycling! (3 Viewers)

I really hope so.

But, it wouldn't be for performance enhancement per se - it'd be more a recovery mechanism between races (he did have a fairly hectic schedule don't forget).

Right, he did have a hectic schedule, for a swimmer.
We are thinking in terms of a cyclist though.
I think though the output of a swimmer on a hectic schedule << a run of the mill stage race cyclist.

They say that cross country skiers are on a par or even greater than cyclists in terms of their energy out.
But X country skiers don't get up the next day, and obliterate themselves again.
And then do it again the next day. And again. etc.

I'm not belittling the sport, but recovery for a swimmer is a feed, a drink a nice walk around and a nap.

Recovery for a Tour rider is an IV drip trying to get your electrolytes and water balance together again, a blood transfusion, as much food as you can fit in your stomach, a nights unconsciousness, as much food as you can fit in your stomach, possibly the night in hospital, and Christ know's what else.

The zipper on my otherwise trusty 9 year old all purpose 28 liter deuter backpack died. I'd need to get a bag, whats good for cycling? Not much smaller than that, I liked the stiff frame and air venting qualities in that but am open to courier kinda solutions too. The only flaw in that backpack was that it's a bit high and hits the back of my head. Courier bags seem to have quite inflated prices too no?

The zipper on my otherwise trusty 9 year old all purpose 28 liter deuter backpack died. I'd need to get a bag, whats good for cycling? Not much smaller than that, I liked the stiff frame and air venting qualities in that but am open to courier kinda solutions too. The only flaw in that backpack was that it's a bit high and hits the back of my head. Courier bags seem to have quite inflated prices too no?

deuter do bike-specific backpacks:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Brands.aspx?BrandID=634

so I got that Motobecane Fixer there that I was on about earlier....

and I crashed it on the way home there today.

Jaysus.
It was on the same corner that I rode off the edge of my tyre on the mountain bike, and had the bike go all sideways on me.
This time I mashed the pedal into the ground going around the corner.
I hit the deck relatively hard, but I got up, and got my shit together, and rode home.
The old hands are a bit banged up. And my leg got a bill milled into the curb. Still and all, I'm grand more or less.
I thought it would be a nightmare crashing a fixer, but its grand. My feet just snapped out no problem.

I know I have a habit of leaning way the fuck over in corners. Its from driving motorbikes I think, since my mate does exactly the same thing.
I'm thinking of seeing about getting some really tiny pedals, like speedplays or something, that might allow me lean it over a bit more.

Thankfully that SUV that was right behind me didn't run over me. He just sat there, very patiently, for me to get the fuck out of his way.

I rode home grand but I'm walking around like an old man now.
Haven;t told the missus though.
Heh heh.

Love the bike apart from that. Really lovely to ride around on. I look forward to my commutes a lot more now than before.

I'm sure fixers take a fair bit of getting used to. You can cycle them like a freewheel, thats for sure. Most importantly in your story there, the bike seems ok!

In other news, how about that fucking wind today? Now, if it'd only turn around the opposite way for about 5pm then happy days.

so I got that Motobecane Fixer there that I was on about earlier....

and I crashed it on the way home there today.

Jaysus.
It was on the same corner that I rode off the edge of my tyre on the mountain bike, and had the bike go all sideways on me.
This time I mashed the pedal into the ground going around the corner.
I hit the deck relatively hard, but I got up, and got my shit together, and rode home.
The old hands are a bit banged up. And my leg got a bill milled into the curb. Still and all, I'm grand more or less.
I thought it would be a nightmare crashing a fixer, but its grand. My feet just snapped out no problem.

I know I have a habit of leaning way the fuck over in corners. Its from driving motorbikes I think, since my mate does exactly the same thing.
I'm thinking of seeing about getting some really tiny pedals, like speedplays or something, that might allow me lean it over a bit more.

Thankfully that SUV that was right behind me didn't run over me. He just sat there, very patiently, for me to get the fuck out of his way.

I rode home grand but I'm walking around like an old man now.
Haven;t told the missus though.
Heh heh.

Love the bike apart from that. Really lovely to ride around on. I look forward to my commutes a lot more now than before.

glad the fixie is working out for ya.

shit buzz about crashing but. you could try shorter cranks as well as smaller pedals. might make all the difference.

in other news i picked up a giant racer the other week in a garage sale in oz for AU$200. bargins to be had at them garage sales i tell ya.

it's an ocr2, compact frame, and the stock wheels have been replaced with mavic cxp21 rims and sora hubs. i'd say it's about 5 or 6 years old. pretty light for the level of components (tiagra/sora).

i stand corrected. it seems that the cpx21 rims are/were oem-only rims. so they were only sold to bike manufacturers. so they are the stock rims. pretty decent for stock.

it's an ocr2, compact frame, and the stock wheels have been replaced with mavic cxp21 rims and sora hubs. i'd say it's about 5 or 6 years old. pretty light for the level of components (tiagra/sora).

An OCR2 is a nice machine. Its similar to my TCR2. I remember looking at them both when I way buying mine. The OCR1 was slightly out of my price range, but hot on its heels were the TCR2 and OCR2. I can't recall why I went for the TCR. I remember the OCR1 had campag parts whereas I wanted Shimano (campag parts aren't interchangeable between the different groupsets whereas shimano are - at least are at the moment til they bring in that 12-speed rear block).

Ok, it was labouring there for a bit but seems to have recovered.

Speaking of Giant, I'm liking this new Defy. Comes with a 105 groupset. Seems good value at €1200.

2009defy1-2T.jpg

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=23615

It's about the best value of the range I think. Don't like the look or spec on the Defy 2, 2.5 or 3.

Looks good. Giant will always be that bit dearer though (as will cyclesuperstore). See what the likes of Felt have to offer in that price range.

See this - http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/categ...-32967?source=newsletter&attr=road/2008/10/30

its in around the same price range and its carbon. Not sure how easy it'd be to get here though.

Here, flux, a radial laced up wheel, into those completely straight forks might be fairly tough on the wrists if you are going over juddery stuff.
I dont know anything abuot those forks... so, yeah. Just something that you might want to think about.
Otherwise, looks pretty good.

If you always ride on the hoods, then you might be ok. If you tend to ride on the bars, I dunno.
(This choice is going to depend on the frame and stem length...)
edit, if you get a frame that might be slightly on the small side, it will make it easier to stay out on the hoods.

Cheers lads. It'll be a while before I buy so will be reading up on all the options.

Wouldn't be hugely worried about comfort factor, am used to riding some awful yokes altogether.

awful yokes == spongy frames == not as shocky on the wrists / ass.
I only noticed how frames can buffer that shocking when i got on some cheaper end Carbon bikes (~$1500). Unmercifully stiff frames, and I was in a bit of a hape afterwards.
On the good carbon bikes (well, a Cervello R3) there was much less shocking like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back