Jaysus cycling! (5 Viewers)

Does anyone know if "Slime" inner tube sealant (or similar) is available in Dublin anywhere, and how much it is?

Punctures have been the bane of my life recently :(

get those dutch punctureproof tires. Cost a bit more, but I have them on my hybrid for over a year and haven't had a single puncture - they rule.

In other news, ploughed into a pedestrian on the way home yesterday. In a heap today. She got off fairly lightly - in fairness she should have looked before she tried to cross the road. Not fun.

armadillos is what I was thinking of. Not sure if thats the brand though. I reckon most decent bikeshops are carrying these. Mine don't even seem to have worn in the year I've had them.

specialized make them. they're pretty damn good alright. they cost 30 quid each but are worth it.

I’ve been using Armadillos for years and have had very few punctures with them. They’re well worth €30 considering the amount of time saved no longer repairing punctures. You can get them in Cycleways, Parnell St, and the bike shop in Dun Laoghaire. I think Cycleways also does Slime, as does Argos. I've used Slime before but can't really say how effective it was - I still got some punctures, which usually resulted in horrible gooey green slime oozing out onto my wheels and tyres...

Anyone do time-trials? What are your times like?

I used to be good at them when I was young, well, relative to the rest of my cycling endeavours.

10mile/16km bursts are good fun.

Anyone do time-trials? What are your times like?

I used to be good at them when I was young, well, relative to the rest of my cycling endeavours.

10mile/16km bursts are good fun.

my time trials were generally shit, I was only at best a poor rider who was average in the hills, but I did do just over 30ks at an average speed of ~48km/h at the end of a 100k race once.

Admittedly the majority of that was sitting very tight on the back of some lads on some French team. I did some pulls at the start, but that was when I was expecting them to slow down at some point.

After about 15k's I realized they weren't, and was abstractly looking at my body and pulse rate, wondering when it was all going to go bang. I've no idea how I managed to roll in with them to the sprint.

Suffices to say I didn't contest the sprint.

my time trials were generally shit, I was only at best a poor rider who was average in the hills, but I did do just over 30ks at an average speed of ~48km/h at the end of a 100k race once.

Jakers. i stopped cycling at about 16, before there was any of that craziness. In races I was always dropped long before the sprint. In ten mile time trials though, I could pass out Senior B/C lads with a minute headstart. I could always beat anyone in the club in a sprint too.

Should have worked on my stamina I guess...and not discovered booze.

fixed another puncture today and while reattaching the wheel the quickrelease axel broke apart and shot across to the wall of the bathroom. lucky it didn't break my leg / toilet bowl. looks like i've been keeping it too tight. i don't like these quick release things, they feel so loose before locking that i just push it to the limits.

The axle or the quick release skewer?

Those quick release mechanisms are off centric cams. The pressure it exerts on the frame increases ~exponentially as it closes.
You dont need to push those releases all that much, as the last 1/4 of the closing generates a huge amount of leverage.
I've taken on and off the front wheel to my (now bollixed) MTB every day for about 5 years. Basically the only thing left working on that bike are the quick releases and the SPDs.

Those bog standard Shimano clipless pedals are unbelievably strong. Time can learn a thing or two from Shimano when it comes to making pedals.

the quick release skewer. i just felt like it needs to be screwed to some tightness, otherwise it'll be too loose, which is untrue but yeah, at least it was a great snap!

the quick release skewer. i just felt like it needs to be screwed to some tightness, otherwise it'll be too loose, which is untrue but yeah, at least it was a great snap!

ok sound. You can just throw on a new one of those babies then.
I've seen a few axles break when I was working in the bike shop. That's more of a bad buzz.
I've seen people riding around on broken axles for "weeks" apparently. Which... I cant really get my head around.
But yeah, it was probably just a dodgey skewer combined with over enthusiastic tightening.

Reminds me... the number of bikes I see where people dont understand the idea of a quick release, and use the lever to wind the wheel on as tight as they can is amazing.
I was chatting to one lad, and I just mentioned that his quick release was open, and got down, unwound it, and clamped it closed for him while trying to explain how it worked, no problem.
I saw him a week later, quick release back open, wound on as tight as he could.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back