Jaysus cycling! (1 Viewer)

I'm not 11 anymore and I just can't be arsed.
I keep a few spare tubes and that does me.

Hopefully my stance will become moot with my new slick-as-shit tyre.

wow, wonder if that's a common attitude nowadays. i know bike shops all do that now, with the exception of square wheel. fair play to that guy.

i think tubes are pretty expensive myself. are you one of those people who didn't recycle until the bin charges were introduced?

carrying a spare tube for roadside punctures is a good idea alright.

Always carry a spare tube,but,bring the punctured one home and fix it then. I usually have about a half dozen or so spares,I hang them up until they all need fixed and do it in one go. Takes about a minute total. Bought a patch roll years ago and cut them to size,must have saved a fortune.
Nothing wrong with common sense.

I'm not 11 anymore and I just can't be arsed.
I keep a few spare tubes and that does me.

Hopefully my stance will become moot with my new slick-as-shit tyre.

same here re: the spare tube thing, is wasteful but half those patches are more heart break than anything. Armadillos are brilliant well worth it, far less punctures than normal, but when you do get a puncture they're a total bitch to get off cause of reinforced sides to them.

Some wheels seem to be slightly too wide for them so you will have total nightmare trying to get them on and off, for anyone going to buy armadillos i'd check that you're rim isn't one of those. mavic rims seem fine :)

I'd be another patcher. Well, I'd give the tubes about 5 or 6 patches, and retire them. Usually at that point the join to the valve is knackered anyway. They can start gettting a bit sticky to the tyre too.

When I was working in the shop we never repaired tubes, they were replaced. In fairness though, people who took their bike to the shop to get the puncture fixed generally seemed to own bikes which were in bad need of a new tube. And tyre. And cables. And chain and sprockets.

Have you seen these new patches that you just peel and stick? The lad in the shop flogged me them, swore they were deadly. We'll see.
I'd never leave the house with out a patch kit, tyre levers, and a tube or two.
You dont need a bucket of water to find the hole either, just fill the tube with air / run your hands over it until you feel/hear the hiss.

i've got 2 punctures in the last 2 years. each time at easter or so. i guess i'd be lucky in that regard concerning the fact most of my cycling becomes off road when some meath farmer nearly hits me in their 18 litre SUV. (louth farmer are very good drivers, they nearly never nearly hit me).

loose chippings on one of my normal roads for tomorrows cycle . it's brilliant. t louth county council obvisouly had an ordnance suyrvey person with them to tell them where the louth border s asnd meath border starts as i observed quality of the road and it's nice smooth road and then at the bridge it changes to craggly broken roads with plenty of potholes

Always carry a spare tube,but,bring the punctured one home and fix it then. I usually have about a half dozen or so spares,I hang them up until they all need fixed and do it in one go. Takes about a minute total. Bought a patch roll years ago and cut them to size,must have saved a fortune.
Nothing wrong with common sense.

yeah this is the way to go
no fucking around with patches in the rain by the side of the hackney road

How is the post-belfield stillorgan road for cycling? Before belfield its a really rough ride but I'll be cycling till Sandyford for a couple of weeks and the clonskeagh road gets really shit after UCD. The mileage would be about the same using either road.

How is the post-belfield stillorgan road for cycling? Before belfield its a really rough ride but I'll be cycling till Sandyford for a couple of weeks and the clonskeagh road gets really shit after UCD. The mileage would be about the same using either road.

It gets a lot better after UCD. Theres nothing similar to the cracked cycle lane just after rte anyway. When i'm heading to sandyford from town I usually take a right onto brewery road and head up that way.

got my bike back from cyclelogical earlier this week - €525 for a new frame, headset, seat pin, and build, and the frame has an RRP of €600, so i'm quite happy.

It gets a lot better after UCD. Theres nothing similar to the cracked cycle lane just after rte anyway. When i'm heading to sandyford from town I usually take a right onto brewery road and head up that way.
Great news, thanks. The road around goatstown was shit so I'll start using that route instead!

ha ha, deadly.

seanc should send in his picture of that cycle lane with the lamp post in the middle of it.

that 'contra-flow' cycle lane on the luas side of stephen's green is a contender too. it's like a cyclist trap. they lure you into a false sense of security with what seems like a shortcut to avoid the one way system but then you find yourself cycling the wrong way down the middle of a one-way street into on-coming traffic.

In fairness, I just robbed that pic off Boards. There’s as many pics on the internet of daft cycle facilities in Dublin as there are daft cycle facilities in Dublin.

The Stephens Green thing was mentioned on boards as well. IIRC, someone wrote to the Corpo asking them about it. The Corpo said the track was supposed to continue around the Green, but their official reply said they simply forgot to finish it, more or less.

I thought I was gonna cycle to Powerscourt tomorrow morning, but there’s been a change of plan and I’ve to go Coolock instead. I’m quite disappointed.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/wcc/facility-of-the-month/November2007.htm

stowmarket.jpg

The bridge carrying Stowupland Road over the A14 bypass is a popular destination for Stowmarket cyclists. Suffolk County Council have thoughtfully provided a cycle path leading to a viewing gallery. Cyclists can stop for a picnic and watch the cars continue on their way to Stowupland, before turning round and going back home.

That's the start of a one way track, and that website is promoting the idea of cycling the wrong way down it. Maximum tsk!

does anyone know where i can get decent rain trousers and mack, that are easy to cycle in? i've came home looking like a stewed rat 3 times this week...
and what place has the best selection of messenger/pannier bags? i need a large waterproof one for my A3 sketchpads

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back