Jaysus cycling! (26 Viewers)

As has been indicated before, cycling is much scarier when watching/thinking about it from a third person perspective. I usually feel quite in control and safe while I'm on the bike, but getting increasingly nervous thinking about it generally.
That video was fairly scary stuff, but to be honest I'd say I've done a lot of similar things in my time cycling and would take no notice, though not usually with the impressive combos on display here.

Increasingly realising that feeling safe is a complete illusion, you haven't a fucking clue what could happen. I was happily bombing down Baggot Street earlier this month when I ran over a bump and my rear mudguard decided to lodge itself in my tyre, jamming the back wheel and sending me over the handlebars into the middle of the road. Somehow managed to not break anything in the fall, and was lucky there was nothing behind me at the time, mainly because I had just run some red lights...

I really have to get a helmet though, having cycled pretty much every day for 5 years without one.

As has been indicated before, cycling is much scarier when watching/thinking about it from a third person perspective. I usually feel quite in control and safe while I'm on the bike, but getting increasingly nervous thinking about it generally.
That video was fairly scary stuff, but to be honest I'd say I've done a lot of similar things in my time cycling and would take no notice, though not usually with the impressive combos on display here.

Increasingly realising that feeling safe is a complete illusion, you haven't a fucking clue what could happen. I was happily bombing down Baggot Street earlier this month when I ran over a bump and my rear mudguard decided to lodge itself in my tyre, jamming the back wheel and sending me over the handlebars into the middle of the road. Somehow managed to not break anything in the fall, and was lucky there was nothing behind me at the time, mainly because I had just run some red lights...

I really have to get a helmet though, having cycled pretty much every day for 5 years without one.

I hate that helpless feeling when you're on the ground not sure what's hurt or whether you're going to get hit by a car or whatever.

great coverage of the Liege-Baston-Liege yesterday on Eurosport. I was glued to the whole thing. The Schlecks really blew it. I reckon if Andy had stayed going on the second to last climb he could have stayed away. Instead he waited on the brother, and that last climb wasn't tough enough to shake Valverde and Rebellin. Something a little hollow about seeing Valverde winning, but he was the best of that group of the 3, so fair's fair I guess.

Theres been little enough shouting about this year's Tour of Ireland thus far and I'd been wondering if it was gonna take place at all. I saw there on cyclingnews.com that High Road said they'd ride it after pulling out of the Vuela. That is great news, as they're likely to send some of their big guns (and I'd imagine send back the likes of Edwald Bossen Hagen). I also read in Procycling that Rock Racing want to take part. Can you imagine - that dodgy shower of fucks coming over. It'd certainly stir the interest though - Cippolini, Hamilton, Botero and Sevilla. As much as I think them lads should be thrown off the biggest cliff to hand, I would love to see them here competing in the TOI. It'd do the profile of the race the world of good - people might actually come out and watch it this year.

Can you learn how to ride a bike? Or is it something that if it's not done early, it's just not possible?

SRSLY, the only thing stopping someone would be fear. It’s the same for riding a bike as it is for almost anything. Getting older doesn’t mean you just stop learning stuff. I’m 88 years old and I can ride a bike AND do the internets, no bother.

I’m not sure how someone would go about learning though.

I’m not sure how someone would go about learning though.

just launch yerself into it. Put on a helmet and expect to fall once or twice. Once you're up and running its as easy as.....well, riding a bike.

Its about balance. Thats all. And confidence.

Interesting question though. I'm sure it'd be easier than, say, learning to swim later in life.

But I'm all scared. I fall off things at the best of times, I'd be even worse on a bike. I should be able to ride, it's just when I was young I saw a pink bike in our garage I asked my dad if it was mine and he said no, it was his. I believed him. Bastard.

I crashed my bike the other day at half five in the morning because I was so tired I didn't notice one of these was down

Sphere_Swift_Barrier.jpg

Do I win a prize?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back