Jaysus cycling! (10 Viewers)

It's our road too.
They know you're there soon enough when you slap on the side of their bus.

yeah, they are bigger though.
I was pushed off the road by a bus, I had to jump the bike up and out onto the pavement.

But, yeah, you take whatever risks you feel are appropriate. The camera also makes things look different to the way they are I'd say. I am absolutely the last person in the world that is going to start preaching the stay safe children message.

I've had cops pull me over and tell me they weren't bothering giving me a ticket because I would be dead before the court date...

Ah, for Jaysis sake, it's always mental in town.
Pedestrians never pay attention to lights and cars crowd yellow boxes and switch lanes without warning. And every other fucking thing you have to deal with. I ride as the environment demands.

It's like a jungle sometimes, makes me wonder how I keep from slipping under.

I dunno, I ride between buses. Dublin buses anyway, wouldn’t go near Bus Eireann ones. I’ve never had a problem, I’ve thought about it, considered what I’m doing etc., and it usually seems alright. But like y’all said, you decide what risks you take.

Also, since the camera is on the handlebars (?), it makes everything else look a lot bigger and scarier than it would actually be.

Anyway this morning:
Trip distance 11.2km
Ride time: 27.35
Average speed: 25.1kph

I wuv my new computer.

So if everyone else behaves like an idiot you should too. I love this kind of attitude.

I'm more concerned with what other road users are doing than with the lights.
If no one else is paying attention to them, it makes more sense for me to watch them than the lights.

minka said:

Yeah, people don’t appreciate the fact that lorry drivers can see fuck all in their cabs. They’re professional motorists, so it’s not as if they don’t pay attention (usually), they just can’t see you.

All good points here (except the last one which seems to have slipped in from an article written in the 1930’s).

If a lorry is in front of you, wait where you can see the mirrors until it is possible to pass it — You should pass a lorry only on the right and only when you are sure you have enough time and space to get far enough ahead for the driver to see you clearly before they start moving
— If a lorry is behind you, ride where the driver has to consider your presence
— Ride where lorries cannot pass you, or cannot pass you without changing their position on the road
— HGVs are so dangerous to cyclists that they should be treated with extreme caution
— Women cyclists are more likely to put themselves in danger by adopting a “don’t worry about me I’m not really here” attitude

Fair play to you.

The Times
April 24, 2007
Women cyclists ‘risk death’ by obeying traffic lights

Ben Webster, Transport Correspondent

Women cyclists are far more likely to be killed by a lorry because, unlike men, they tend to obey red lights and wait at junctions in the driver’s blind spot, according to a study.
The report by Transport for London’s road safety unit was completed last July but has been kept secret. It suggests that some cyclists who break the law by jumping red lights may be safer and that cycle feeder lanes may make the problem worse.
The Times has obtained a copy of the study, which says that 86 per cent of the women cyclists killed in London between 1999 and 2004 collided with a lorry. By contrast, lorries were involved in 47 per cent of deaths of male cyclists.
The findings help to explain why the growing popularity of cycling by city commuters is resulting in frequent deaths of young women in similar circumstances. The death rate among women cyclists has increased since the report was completed, with two killed in collisions with lorries within 24 hours last month.
Amelia Zollner, 24, a Cambridge-educated scientist working at the Institute for Public Policy Research, was cycling to work in central London and had stopped at traffic lights in Russell Square next to a lorry. She was killed when the lorry pulled away after the lights changed.
Rosie Wright, 26, worked close by at the School of Oriental and African Studies, and spoke with friends about her distress on learning that a young woman had died. The next day she was killed by a lorry accelerating away from traffic lights.
The study states: “Women may be overrepresented in [collisions with goods vehicles] because they are less likely than men to disobey red lights.”
By jumping red lights, men are less likely to be caught in a lorry driver’s blind spot. Cyclists may wait at the lights just in front of a lorry, not realising that they are difficult to see.
In more than half the fatal crashes, the lorry was turning left. Cyclists may be deceived by a lorry swinging out to the right to give itself room to make a left turn.
The study states that cycle “feeder” lanes, which allow cyclists to overtake vehicles along the nearside kerb to get to the front of queues, may “exacerbate the problem”.
It also says that pedestrian guard railings may have contributed to three of the deaths because cyclists became trapped between the railings and the lorry, leaving them no escape route.
Peter Wright, the father of Rosie and a vehicle safety expert who heads the commission which regulates safety in international motorsport, criticised TfL for failing to publish the study. “Rosie was reasonably cautious, which seems to be the problem. It seems that you need to be aggressive and assertive to survive as a cyclist,” he said. “TfL’s attitude is unacceptable.
“It should stop withholding the study because we need an open public debate about the findings to seek ways of preventing more deaths. There is something wrong if the only way you can survive on a bike is to skip the lights.”
Adam Coffman, an official at the Cyclists’ Touring Club, said: “Women cyclists tend to ride more slowly and are less comfortable doing things that feel risky.
So, instead of positioning themselves out wide in the road where they can more easily see and be seen, they are more inclined to hug the kerb, a way of cycling that may feel safer but is in fact more risky.”
A TfL spokesman said the study had not been published because it was “produced solely to inform TfL policies”. He said that there was no direct evidence that women were more at risk because they obeyed red lights.
TfL last month mounted a poster campaign to inform lorry drivers and cyclists of the dangers of collisions at junctions.
Road survival code
Advice to cyclists on how to avoid collisions with lorries:
— If a lorry is in front of you, wait where you can see the mirrors until it is possible to pass it
— You should pass a lorry only on the right and only when you are sure you have enough time and space to get far enough ahead for the driver to see you clearly before they start moving
— If a lorry is behind you, ride where the driver has to consider your presence
— Ride where lorries cannot pass you, or cannot pass you without changing their position on the road
— HGVs are so dangerous to cyclists that they should be treated with extreme caution
— Women cyclists are more likely to put themselves in danger by adopting a “don’t worry about me I’m not really here” attitude
Source: The London School of Cycling

I agree that at times its much safer to jump before a light goes green, but cycling through pedestrians like 7 tomorrow did is just plain bad manners.

That crossing is always the same whether the lights are green, amber or red. If there's no cars, they just plough on. Half those people don't even know they're on a road.

It's not something I do a lot though.

And it's 7 No tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back