Jaysus cycling! (9 Viewers)

ah this was a bit dull in the end (Paris-Roubaix). Eurosport only showed the last 20km so I think all the interesting stuff had come and gone by then.

With that group of 3, and when Cancellara failed to shake Boonen on the 17th (I think) last section of cobbles, the outcome was a foregone conclusion. Cancellara and Ballan should really have tried to work together to shake off Boonen (though Ballan was really struggling to stay in there).

It was a serious pace over that terrain. Unreal stuff. 298km in 6 hours. Amazing really, when you think about it.

I hope Boonen had a good evening after his win, with his 16-year old girlfriend!

Amstel Gold next week. That was always the race when Lance Armstrong announced his arrival into the new season. I expect the Rabbo boys will be out in force for this. Outside bet - Thomas Dekker. I reckon its a course better suited to Paolo Bettini though.

anyone hear anything about this...

http://www.masterlinkfilms.com/R2R_Trailer_HR.mov

The state of me, 3 seconds into it, I'm all Where's Kelly, Where's Kelly Where's Kelly Where's Kelly, and hay der he is shure. GWANN THE SEANER.

Oh man.
This looks : Fucking. Rapid.
I think I need to buy this.
Yesh.

edit, there is a picture somewhere, and its Greg Lemond, and he is fucking just monged out of it with the dirt and filth and mud, and spit frothing in the corners of his mouth, and the whole photo almost looks like its black and white because tehre is so much mud all over the shop, on his jersey, everywhere, but in the middle of it all are these ice blue, crystal clear eyes, just looking up the road. And he's motoring.

Amazing photo.

on the wobbling cyclist = more careful motorist thing: couple of months back i making a right turn onto dame street just before drumcondra and wanted to go straight on after the bridge over the railway line. so it was the middle lane i wanted to be in. i generally try to get a head start on the motorists at the lights so that i can do this without someone getting pissed off with me for hogging the road on the turn. anyway on this day i bounced into one of the manholes or something and wobbled a bit and slowed a little in the middle lane. some guy was coming behind me from my right wanting to get into the left lane and decided to accelerate really fast, very close to me and then cut me off as he went for his lane. i caught up with him at the next set of lights and his defense was that i was "wobbling all over the place".

i think irish road users, including pedesterians and cyclists, get into a very individualised me-first attitude when they have to get anywhere in traffic. you seem to have to drive in an aggressive way and take loads of risks just to get around. nuts so it is.

i think irish road users, including pedesterians and cyclists, get into a very individualised me-first attitude when they have to get anywhere in traffic. you seem to have to drive in an aggressive way and take loads of risks just to get around. nuts so it is.

Thats exactly the way i see it.

Regarding the helmet thing -

I had an accident about 12 years ago where i broke an arm and busted up my face so maybe thats why i've always worn one since.

The theory that not wearing one makes drivers more careful might hold true for the most part but doesn't take into account the large proportion of accidents that happen where the driver never sees the cyclist - opening doors into traffic, pulling out without looking - then theres the accidents that can happen involving just myself. Hitting potholes, ice.

I think if we had well surfaced bike lanes on all major roads i'd feel a lot more comfortable not wearing a helmet. Sorry if this was already said.

I'm not really talking about wobbling though, I'm talking about a little shoulder / bike sideways twitch followed by a look around to make sure people have noticed me.

If things are going in straight lines towards you or away from you they can sort of vanish sometimes. There is a word for it. A small bit of lateral movement will suddenly make you stand out, and catch other peoples eyes.
Its one of the things you are taught in advanced biker classes, when you are approaching a T junction, and you see a car waiting to go, move around the road, come at him at an angle. You can vanish if you move directly towards them.
Some animals use this principle to speak up on prey.

And, I'm wearing a lid until the roads are paved with high density foam. Pot holes and things should not really be a problem, you should be able to just jump over them. I jumped over a lad who crashed in front of me.
Loose gravel on the other hand...

So what'd you rent out of Lazer in the end?

That's pretty cool, you certainly picked one of the more hairraising stretches of Dublin. It'd be interesting to pick out all the examples of silliness/rules of the road breaking in there (including you breaking the lights, twice ;) )

So what'd you rent out of Lazer in the end?

That's pretty cool, you certainly picked one of the more hairraising stretches of Dublin. It'd be interesting to pick out all the examples of silliness/rules of the road breaking in there (including you breaking the lights, twice ;) )

Army Of Shadows.

I think I did it 3 times. I only noticed when I watched it back. Must watch that.

Gotta get the thing steadier on there though. Too wobbly.

Cool, i never ever go through a corridor of two moving buses,
that can be well dodgy.

I was about to say that, you're a brave man when it comes to the dices with the double deckers.

You were caught out in no mans land there at one point. Ahhhhh bollix.
Heh heh heh. Cool. I'll have to borrow my mates cam and do a NYC one.

i take that summerhill into parnell everyday, tween the major juntion and the two next lefts coupled with a seemingly reckless
segment of society. dodgy spot.

courier geezer i know, years ago,did that trick between two
trucks on the the quays. broke his hips and punctured a lung.

Lucky, still alive.

I never pull that trick.

I was about to say that, you're a brave man when it comes to the dices with the double deckers.

You were caught out in no mans land there at one point. Ahhhhh bollix.
Heh heh heh. Cool. I'll have to borrow my mates cam and do a NYC one.

would love to see an nyc shoot! :)

It's our road too.
They know you're there soon enough when you slap on the side of their bus.
I don't take stupid risks though.

Apart from when you cycled between the two buses
in your video clip? :)

Your right though it is our road too.
There is fuck all space, my detestation of suv/tanks
grows ever stronger.I only take calculated risks now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back