Jaysus cycling! (12 Viewers)

oh my goodness, that's exactly the sort of thing i was thinking of! it is as if they READ MY VERY MIND. did you order it from the website or are there bike shops in dublin that sell them?

i still probably need a new saddle, mind.

If you happen to be heading over to visit a certain architect in amsterdam check out this http://www.kitschkitchen.nl/product/product_uk08.php?pageNum=90&detail=1&totalRows=120&cat_nr=1

in kitsch kitchen, however it does look supremely rob-able but love-able. comes in different wonderful oilcloth patterns. :)

yeh its shit, an hour of the race, then an hour and a half of something else and then the last half hour. so when the last half hour comes on you haven't a clue of the shape of the race then it ends and you feel as if you didn't even see it.

anywhere online that it is streamed??. i used to watch the giro on rai when eurosport would nip off to the indoor ice sweeping championships for hours but i had trouble the other week finding the milan san remo.

edit: some links here but they dont always work http://www.cyclingfans.com/

theres that cyclingtv.net crowd, but they limit a lot of stuff to the US (plus its subscription).

They only showed the last 20km on Eurosport yesterday. Its a fuckin joke. All day showing some nobs going around in circles on motorbikes, then when a real sport comes on they can't find time to put it on for any decent length of time. They gave more coverage to poxy curling. Some lads with sweeping brushes cleaning ice. Deadly.

anyway, great solo effort by devolder. I wanted a bunch sprint and deffo didn't want someone wearing those manky colours to win. I fancied Ballan to take it again. Came in 21 seconds down after falling a bit into the race. Strong ride from Eisel and Hincapie for High Road too. Hincapie could be an outside bet for Paris-Roubaix I reckon.

If you happen to be heading over to visit a certain architect in amsterdam check out this http://www.kitschkitchen.nl/product/product_uk08.php?pageNum=90&detail=1&totalRows=120&cat_nr=1

in kitsch kitchen, however it does look supremely rob-able but love-able. comes in different wonderful oilcloth patterns. :)

I'm on my fourth saddle cover so i can second the rob-able comment, the solution i found was to get a bit of old brake cable and thread it through where the drawstring goes on the cover, then fasten this to one of the saddle rails by crushing a copper washer with a vice grips around the brake cable. it's worked so far.

theres that cyclingtv.net crowd, but they limit a lot of stuff to the US (plus its subscription).

They only showed the last 20km on Eurosport yesterday. Its a fuckin joke. All day showing some nobs going around in circles on motorbikes, then when a real sport comes on they can't find time to put it on for any decent length of time. They gave more coverage to poxy curling. Some lads with sweeping brushes cleaning ice. Deadly.

anyway, great solo effort by devolder. I wanted a bunch sprint and deffo didn't want someone wearing those manky colours to win. I fancied Ballan to take it again. Came in 21 seconds down after falling a bit into the race. Strong ride from Eisel and Hincapie for High Road too. Hincapie could be an outside bet for Paris-Roubaix I reckon.

i was seriously debating whether to get a subscription after sunday. When they cancelled the british superbikes in Brands Hatch due to snow i really thought we'd get some extra footage of the Ronde, but nope just repeats of more mo mo bikes. At least we got to see the muur, but then they did a fast forward skipping about 8kms of racing...madness. they better not mess about during Paris Roubaix. I wanna see some Arenberg Forest craziness

If Hincapie can keep his handlebars attached to the bike i reckon you have a point:)

If Hincapie can keep his handlebars attached to the bike i reckon you have a point:)

yeah, that was one of the maddest things I've ever seen. They just came away in his hand. Who was it doing commentary that spotted it straight off (the baldie English lad that used to be with Discovery Channel)? The rest of us had to wait for the replay. Poor old George got a nice broken collarbone out of that one.

another year he was cycling along, came to a complete stop, and fell sideways into a ditch, almost inexplicably. Who knows what to expect out of him

Reckon I'll get the wall hangers and toolkit too.

Btw would anyone here with a big head be interested in buying a helmet off me, never been used as it's a bit tight/shallow for me. This one here in large:

5008013s_v1_m56577569830662627.jpg

http://www.togo.co.uk/alpina-torro-mtb-bike-helmet-in-carbon-effect-p-887.html

http://www.alpina-eyewear.com/index.php?option=com_specialcontent&task=view&id=535&Itemid=132&lang=

twas a joke indeed. pricks

it was a considerable bunch 26 people within 21 seconds. excellent ride by devolder

cant be arsed reading all of it ,so disregard if already covered.

According to an a+e working friend, bike helmets provide you
with roughly 50/50 cover in an accident. if your unfortunate
enough to be struck, the helmet will either prevent fatal injury
or break into shards in such a way to cause more damage.

bit of a looking cool/not so looking cool

versus a fatal/ moreso fatal injury dilemma.

Personally, I am an avid cyclist and choose not to wear one,

keep your wits about you, cycle defensively, take ZERO shit
in any incident of folly on the behalf of a driver and also WOBBLE.

Wobbling in a cycle lane with a driver on your ass will 9/10
make the driver give you a wide berth. Thats all thanks to their
fear of losing their insurance bonus.

Not because they love you.

shit! i typed loads but my edit time expired.

Ever notice a driver speeding a few feet in a traffic jam
(like on caple st for example) to get nowhere?

That impatient attitude is what kills people.
Take a look at the DCC website, periodically it has news
of another cyclist's death. DEATH!

The cycle lanes are just a fuckin line in the sand to drivers,
now I understand the frustration of congestion but if all
new licence applicants were forced to cycle for say a
fortnight around town before they went near a car it
might redefine their approach to how they behave.

They are in charge of a potential killing machine and should be made realise that.

If anyone has had the pleasure to cycle in Holland you
will know what I mean. Your own set of lights and your
own ROAD. This satellite hick TOWN of an excuse for a city when it comes to cycling thinks painting the main
thoroughfares is enough. Its not, there is a lot of ignorance when it comes to our right for space.

Buses clipping you? Don't get me started!

Stay safe, stay angry (that isn't road rage that is
survival!) and thanks for the rant!

much love.x

According to an a+e working friend, bike helmets provide you
with roughly 50/50 cover in an accident. if your unfortunate
enough to be struck, the helmet will either prevent fatal injury
or break into shards in such a way to cause more damage.

meh. Anecdotal. I don't buy it.

I buy that you have a 50% higher chance of surviving a knock if wearing a lid than not. Not that, as you seem to be implying (?), that its 50/50 save you / hurt you worse.
In fact, I have never heard of anyone ever being hurt because they were wearing a lid.

Bike accidents are either : fall to the deck and hurt hand, break wrist, break clav, smack head off ground.
OR
Something else complicated.
Most of them are the hitting the deck, low siding, and getting your hands in the way. (That has accounted for all bar one of my offs.)
If, almost by definition, you hit the deck so hard you break your clav, you are often going to follow through with your head. It is only in the worst type of knocks that you actually hit your head off the ground, and in the worst offs is when your lid is most needed. (Ie, almost never.) When its needed, its needed badly.

The other type of off is unpredictable, its the something mental happening, and the bike is in the air, and so are you, and next thing you are unconscious in a pool of blood. Its the out of control what the fuck.. I thought I was riding a bike? crashes. This has happened to me once, and as I was losing consciousness I was sure I had fractured my skull.
When I came around, and realised my skull was still in one piece, the first thing I thought was skulls are unbelievably hard.

I wasn't wearing a lid the one time I actually could have done with it. And I was lucky. I got away with it. But, for what? I was in a rush to get home from an exam? I didn't know what day it was for about 12 hours.

I always wear one now, all the time, every where. I lose nothing, and I might need it, so fuck it.
There is just no argument (that I know of) for not wearing one.

(Please do reff out any arguments you have though oglog, I'd be interested.)

helmets are designed to break into shards. that's how they work. a helmet which didn't break into shards would be less effective.

(some of) the energy of the impact is used to shatter the helmet. this energy would otherwise be imparted to your head.

bk100n4SOLIDantrargstelle.jpg

This is in the post for me as we speak, sorry Moose.

There's an element of risk compensation with helmets I guess. I'd still rather wear it, whether or not I take risks I wouldn't otherwise take.

I don't like the sentiment here at all though:
Wobbling in a cycle lane with a driver on your ass will 9/10
make the driver give you a wide berth. Thats all thanks to their
fear of losing their insurance bonus.
Basically you're saying: act like a mentalist and you'll be safer because people think you're a mentalist. I've said this somewhere before but, if you jog backwards down the M50 people won't run over for the same reasons you just cited. I don't want people thinking I'm a mentalist, that's mental.
Also, you're assuming that the motorists *wants* to run you over, which isn't the case 99.9999% of the time.

I wouldn't force anyone else to wear a helmet, but I will.

Anyway...helmets make your head more aerodynamic, even more aero'd than a shaved head in fact. Also, you can put your stuff in it when walking around the supermarket, at home, or in the office.

there are tons of different studies from different perspectives on the effectiveness of helmets.

some are pro and some are against.

i'd think if cycling infrastructure is properly designed we have less need for helmets.

it's rather simple for me.
if i am going to be travelling at speeds in excess of 20mph, on a vehicle offering no protection, and if i am offered a way of protecting my head in the case of a fall or collision, i will take it.

In practical terms, wearing gloves is more important for H&S than wearing a helmet.
And on that note, allow me to show off what just arrived in the post for me:

16627.jpg

They're a little small, but I kinda like it that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back