Jaysus cycling! (9 Viewers)

returning to the realm of the day-to-day cyclist, does anyone know if one can get such a thing as a waterproof saddle cover? or a saddle that doesn't soak up/release rain?

i am heartily sick of returning to my bike if i've locked it outdoors to find that the saddle has absorbed approx. a gallon of icy rain, which then slowly seeps into my trousers as i cycle. the only solution i've come up with is wearing rain leggings, but that looks/feels a bit stupid when it's not actually raining.

edit: or tying a plastic bag over the saddle, but that does kind of require me to have a plastic bag about my person at all times. my imaginary saddle cover would fold up into something attached to the seatpost, though possibly there i'm entering the realm of pure wish-fulfilment.

returning to the realm of the day-to-day cyclist, does anyone know if one can get such a thing as a waterproof saddle cover? or a saddle that doesn't soak up/release rain?

i am heartily sick of returning to my bike if i've locked it outdoors to find that the saddle has absorbed approx. a gallon of icy rain, which then slowly seeps into my trousers as i cycle. the only solution i've come up with is wearing rain leggings, but that looks/feels a bit stupid when it's not actually raining.

edit: or tying a plastic bag over the saddle, but that does kind of require me to have a plastic bag about my person at all times. my imaginary saddle cover would fold up into something attached to the seatpost, though possibly there i'm entering the realm of pure wish-fulfilment.

You'll be wanting a brooks leather saddle.

There are a few other waterproof saddles afaik.

what do you's think of this Dawes XC 2.2 Bike (2007) for €338. are Dawes any use?

Dawes are fine. Nothing special, but you'll get a grand bike from them. Like that spec, nothing outrageously spectacular from what I can tell, but it'll be a solid bike.

It is a mountain bike though, you do know that? I wouldn't say that would be that suitable for cycling around town. It'd be too cumbersome, the wheels to thick, and the bike too slow.

Depends what you want it for though. If you're gonna be trudging up hills in a tiny gear through muck, then its exactly what you'll need. Otherwise, a hybrid would be a better bet. IMHO of course

Dawes are fine. Nothing special, but you'll get a grand bike from them. Like that spec, nothing outrageously spectacular from what I can tell, but it'll be a solid bike.

It is a mountain bike though, you do know that? I wouldn't say that would be that suitable for cycling around town. It'd be too cumbersome, the wheels to thick, and the bike too slow.

Depends what you want it for though. If you're gonna be trudging up hills in a tiny gear through muck, then its exactly what you'll need. Otherwise, a hybrid would be a better bet. IMHO of course

i never thought of the gears being shit for city use. thanks

i never thought of the gears being shit for city use. thanks

I had a dawes discovery 201 for a few years. Great for commuting. You should be able to get one for around the same price.

Like scutter says I wouldn't get a mountain bike unless you intend to go mountain biking. It'd be a lot harder to push than a hybrid.

Is the fabric of your saddle torn at all? Once that happens it’ll soak up water like a sponge. Because it is a sponge.
Afaik most saddle have a rubber layer inside that’ll keep the water out, but once it gets a little tear you’re in trouble.
Cheapest option is to put loads of insulating tape everywhere. Otherwise any half decent new saddle will do as long as you’re careful not to tear it.

Great to have the extra hour of brightness isn't it? no more farting around with lights and hi-viz jackets. If only the wind would fuck off too. ah no I'm actually getting to not mind the wind now*

*I don't want to make it mad.

Is the fabric of your saddle torn at all? Once that happens it’ll soak up water like a sponge. Because it is a sponge.
Afaik most saddle have a rubber layer inside that’ll keep the water out, but once it gets a little tear you’re in trouble.
Cheapest option is to put loads of insulating tape everywhere. Otherwise any half decent new saddle will do as long as you’re careful not to tear it.

hmm, i've checked and there is a small tear on it, though i seem to remember it seeping water even when it was quite new.

new saddle time for me, methinks.

and yes, the wind in my face all the way in to work this morning was not. good. at. all.

Ah sure its fantastic.

The wind really puts me in bad form. I had a headwind both yesterday evening and this morning. God is a cunt.
has dublin gotten windier in the last few years?
although i do remember the wind being a pile of fuck when i as cycling to school.
tis a fierce windy gaff, i reckon.

has dublin gotten windier in the last few years?
although i do remember the wind being a pile of fuck when i as cycling to school.
tis a fierce windy gaff, i reckon.

It’s coastal with relatively tall buildings and long streets which act like wind tunnels, so it’s gonna seem windier than say Ballinasloe or somewhere. I don’t mind it when it’s head on, but crosswinds are scary as heck.
The Coast and the canals are wind central

Aye it's similar to my mountain bike, wouldn't recommend it for the aul commuting at all.

i watched top gear last night for some reason and they had a race across london from the most east part to the most west.

the small guy was on a bike
the olderish chap was in a car
their special driver dude had to take public transport
the arrogant prick was in a speedboat up the thames.

the bike won and the car came last.

ole ole ole

i watched top gear last night for some reason and they had a race across london from the most east part to the most west.

the small guy was on a bike
the olderish chap was in a car
their special driver dude had to take public transport
the arrogant prick was in a speedboat up the thames.

the bike won and the car came last.

ole ole ole

saw that. And he would have won by more only he stopped at traffic lights. Not sure why though. Everyone knows they're just for cars.

I didnt see that top gear yoke, but whta a lot of people seem to forget is that you are not there until you are parked, out of your car, and actually there.
You can cross the line all you like, but you still have to park the car (unless you are in a taxi) and then walk from where you parked to where you have to be.

Generally speaking, unless robbing cunts prevent you, its much easier to ditch a bicycle than a car.

i thought it was great hammond was good on the bike though you saw loads of other cyclists whizzing bye him. great stuff and then that retraction at the end of the show classic stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back